On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Que on March 07, 2024, 08:27:14 AMIt never occured to me that they might be European based - Germany as it turn out. That offers possibilities....  8)

Rather expensive I think.Their search function is a bit strange, and it will take me lots of time to find things which interests me and which I don't own already.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Spotted Horses

Quote from: premont on April 11, 2024, 03:47:09 PMRather expensive I think.Their search function is a bit strange, and it will take me lots of time to find things which interests me and which I don't own already.

They can have good sales. I got the two Rodzinski boxes from Sony for 30%-40% less than any other vendor.

For the Monteux box I went with Jpc hoping for faster delivery. With dhl it got to the US faster, but has been languishing in US customs for almost two weeks. No joy.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

I can't imagine I will ever order from jpc again. They shipped fast to the U.S. by DHL, and the tracking number even told me when the commercial flight carrying my package landed in Los Angeles. But it is well into the third week sitting in U.S. Customs. Exasperating! I should have just ordered from amazon and paid double the price.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 16, 2024, 10:07:14 AMI can't imagine I will ever order from jpc again. They shipped fast to the U.S. by DHL, and the tracking number even told me when the commercial flight carrying my package landed in Los Angeles. But it is well into the third week sitting in U.S. Customs. Exasperating! I should have just ordered from amazon and paid double the price.
Sorry to hear that it's taking so long.  Were any of them gifts?  I've never had problems ordering from European companies before and it sounds like it's an issue with our customs.  It's been a while, but in the past, all have arrived and been delivered quite quickly.  Perhaps a case of not enough workers at the US Customs--at least in the LA area?  If not a gift or needed for research, composing, etc., why not just take a deep breath and listen to what you do have and/or streaming?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

When I was waiting so long for my Grooves order, I ended up just streaming the recordings anyway.

I remember back in the day I would place a BRO order, and when it finally arrived I would have forgotten what I ordered and it would be like a surprise present as I opened the box. :D

Que

Quote from: DavidW on April 16, 2024, 01:46:45 PMI remember back in the day I would place a BRO order, and when it finally arrived I would have forgotten what I ordered and it would be like a surprise present as I opened the box. :D

Instant gratification does take away some of the excitement..  :D

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 16, 2024, 11:08:48 AMSorry to hear that it's taking so long.  Were any of them gifts?  I've never had problems ordering from European companies before and it sounds like it's an issue with our customs.  It's been a while, but in the past, all have arrived and been delivered quite quickly.  Perhaps a case of not enough workers at the US Customs--at least in the LA area?  If not a gift or needed for research, composing, etc., why not just take a deep breath and listen to what you do have and/or streaming?  :)

PD

I shouldn't be taking it so seriously. I find myself obsessively checking the status, craving the dopamine hit that I would get from seeing the notice that it has cleared customs. :)

Previously I placed an order with Grooves.land, another German web site. They were quite slow to get the order out by Netherlands Post, but once it arrived in the U.S. it went through customers fairly quickly, within a week I think. I was optimistic when jpc/DHL got the shipment into the U.S. so quickly, then it it turned sour now that it has been stuck in customs for so long. Maybe just random variation, maybe U.S. customs gives higher priority to other postal services over private parcel services, maybe jpc's customs paperwork is not quite in order (the value of the jpc shipment is higher).

Quote from: DavidW on April 16, 2024, 01:46:45 PMWhen I was waiting so long for my Grooves order, I ended up just streaming the recordings anyway.

I could do that, although the Monteux/RCA box doesn't seem to be available for streaming as a set. Presumably by diligent searching I could find most, if not all of it in individual releases, but the point of the set is not having to do that!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 16, 2024, 11:01:39 PMI shouldn't be taking it so seriously. I find myself obsessively checking the status, craving the dopamine hit that I would get from seeing the notice that it has cleared customs. :)

Previously I placed an order with Grooves.land, another German web site. They were quite slow to get the order out by Netherlands Post, but once it arrived in the U.S. it went through customers fairly quickly, within a week I think. I was optimistic when jpc/DHL got the shipment into the U.S. so quickly, then it it turned sour now that it has been stuck in customs for so long. Maybe just random variation, maybe U.S. customs gives higher priority to other postal services over private parcel services, maybe jpc's customs paperwork is not quite in order (the value of the jpc shipment is higher).

I could do that, although the Monteux/RCA box doesn't seem to be available for streaming as a set. Presumably by diligent searching I could find most, if not all of it in individual releases, but the point of the set is not having to do that!
:laugh:  :)  Have patience, young man.  Your new toys will be here soon!  ;D  ;)

Out of curiosity, I looked up at what value point would one need to start paying customs duties...good golly!  It's now under $800?!  Is that correct?  Wow!  That's gone up quite a lot!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

btw Presto has a sale on early music.  Some things of note: both Herreweghe box sets, one of the Bach editions (I think it was teldec?), the pre-order on the Suzuki box set, multiple Bernard Foccroulle sets, and the Rilling Bach Cantatas set.

DavidW

Quote from: Que on April 16, 2024, 10:12:01 PMInstant gratification does take away some of the excitement..  :D

Yeah when I buy a digital download, then five minutes later I'm listening to it on my stereo! :laugh:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on April 17, 2024, 06:24:53 AMbtw Presto has a sale on early music.  Some things of note: both Herreweghe box sets, one of the Bach editions (I think it was teldec?), the pre-order on the Suzuki box set, multiple Bernard Foccroulle sets, and the Rilling Bach Cantatas set.
David's on a roll!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter