What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan, AnotherSpin, Irons, foxandpeng (+ 1 Hidden) and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Symphonic Addict

This work by Malipiero is quite beautiful and reflective in mood.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

VonStupp

FJ Haydn
Stabat Mater

Birgitte Christensen, soprano
Kristina Hammarström, mezzo
Steve Davislim, tenor
Christian Immler, bass

Zürcher Sing-Akademie
Kammerorchester Basel - René Jacobs

I went a long time not realizing Haydn had a Stabat Mater to his name. It is Heltay's recording I know best now, one I appreciate for its vocal soloists of yore.

This one has an expanded wind section, which adds a slight bit more colour.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Symphonic Addict

Marx: Three works for piano quartet (Rhapsody, Scherzo and Ballade)

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Madiel

Mozart: the "Haffner" Serenade.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

AnotherSpin

classicalgeek

Sibelius
Kullervo
Eeva-Liisa Saarinen, Jorma Hynninen
various choirs
Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra
Paavo Berglund

(on CD)

Somehow I think this is my first time listening to Kullervo. Epic, and really impressive!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

AnotherSpin

Shahram Nazeri, Pejman Taheri & Irani Ensemble

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Brian on April 17, 2024, 07:04:42 AMI'm actually going to see this symphony live next month! Conductor Daniele Rustioni is bringing it to Dallas for what must surely be the Texas premiere. I have only heard it one time (on streaming, when the symphony announced its concert programs, to see if I wanted to go).

You lucky dog! I'm sure that'll be impressive. Here in Japan, I'm finally going to see my first concert in 3 years--but I expect you'll get the better show...
  TD. More Noseda.
It's all good...

Harry

HUNGARIAN SERENADE.
See back cover for all details

This is by all means an interesting disc, well presented and recorded. Hungarian flavour pur sang! The combination of composers is not an recurring event in music like this, so this modern interpretation is more than welcome. Anyways very enjoyable and recommended.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

British Tone Poems, Volume 1.
See back cover for details.
Recording venue BBC Hoddinott Hall, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff, Wales; 14– 16 September 2016.

For me this is one of the best projects launched by Chandos, and ultimately very satisfyingly performed and recorded. There is for me no blemish on  this performance. This is quality enjoy time, as simple as that.

It took me several minutes to get this posted. Several attempts failed. So it begins seriously to undermine this site! Posting the images took even longer. And only one at the time.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

I think this is really special, Sigrun Richter has this utterly nonchalant way of playing Pierre Gaultier, it must be phrasing I guess, which is magical! Joyful, dancing.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

foxandpeng

Vagn Holmboe
Chamber Symphonies 1 - 3
John Storgårds
Lapland SO
Dacapo

Aristocracy of Northern European 20th century composers? Holmboe all day long.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

ando

Beethoven Bagatelles Op. 33 & Op. 126 Glenn Gould (1976, Columbia Masterworks vinyl)
Spotify

Spotted Horses

Listened to the Braunfels Sinfonia Brevis in it's entirety today.

On second listen, the Sinfonia reveals itself as a brilliant and rich piece of music, beautifully performed.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on April 17, 2024, 07:33:55 AMI like Sigrun Richter in French music a lot. Her Reusner has never caught my attention in a positive way. I'm looking forward to seeing what she makes of the Italian composers on that CD. 

Just got a new pair of old speakers - original passive AE1s - they suit Sigrun Richter's Pierre Gaultier very well!

I had AE1s, used a massive Musical Fidelity amp to drive them and they do take some driving but sound fantastic in the right conditions. I recall purchasing the heavyweight stands designed specifically for them which look very similar to your pair?  Later AE brought out a more wife acceptable wood veneer finish, mine were the original composite black.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.