What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry, AnotherSpin and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

SonicMan46

Hindemith, Paul - Chamber Works - some fun recordings with all sorts of quirky instrument combinations -  :D   Dave

Harry

Ethel Smyth.
Orchestral Works.
Recorded: 1995 at Studio 7 New Broadcasting House, Manchester, UK.
See for further details back cover.

It is by now well known, that I am an admirer of her music, all the way. I bought this CD when it was released, and return after many years back to this gorgeous disc. Were there is so much music, this production stands out as a bright star, dazzling one's ears. A good solid performance and SOTA sound.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Harry on Today at 07:38:53 AMEthel Smyth.
Orchestral Works.
Recorded: 1995 at Studio 7 New Broadcasting House, Manchester, UK.
See for further details back cover.

It is by now well known, that I am an admirer of her music, all the way. I bought this CD when it was released, and return after many years back to this gorgeous disc. Were there is so much music, this production stands out as a bright star, dazzling one's ears. A good solid performance and SOTA sound.

Harry - our tastes are aligned on so much!  Sadly with Ethel Smyth much less so...... I find much to admire in her sheer determination and perserverance but strikingly little in terms of real musical inspiration.  For a political/social radical she is a musical conservative I reckon.

Harry

Quote from: Roasted Swan on Today at 08:23:44 AMHarry - our tastes are aligned on so much!  Sadly with Ethel Smyth much less so...... I find much to admire in her sheer determination and perserverance but strikingly little in terms of real musical inspiration.  For a political/social radical she is a musical conservative I reckon.

Well that's okay my friend, we match in much of the musical choices we make, so no harm done! ;D  I will not say that her music is unique, it is conservative even, but her perseverance in trying to build a coherent and accessible portal in her musical thinking, is what draws me to her. So yes, not groundbreaking music but still brightness that oozes out of every pore, which I call musical inspiration.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Rachmaninoff, Piano Sonata No 2, Ashkenazy

In find myself disappointed. I have trouble recognizing the musical themes that inhabit the sensuous musical texture. Can't complain about Ashkenazy, but Decca gives him surprisingly muddy, clangy sound. I was surprised to check the recording data and find that the recording was made in 1980.

Did a spot check of Shelley, who I also have on my shelves. Did not make a strong impression. Which version do people like best? I've decided to try Ruth Laredo, based on my positive impression of her Scriabin recordings.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

ritter

From CD 1 (of two) included in this book on Victor de Sabata that arrived today...

Bits and pieces from a performance of Tristano e Isotta (in Italian) at La Scala on December 11, 1930. Ebe Stignani sings Brangäne's warning quite nicely, but she's recorded quite distantly. The value of this snippet, though, lies in the immediacy of the string writing, which shines through the primitive recording. Quite seductive, tbh. Then we get fragments Act III (including the end of the Liebestod). The sound is so bad, alas, that one cannot tell whether this was an outstanding or disastrous performance...

Next is the tone poem Juventus, by de Sabata himself. This is a studio recording from 1934 with the EIAR Orchestra. Very Straussian is the first impression I get (the piece is new to me). Quite nice, actually.

The disc ends with a 1939 Brahms Fourth with the Berlin Philharmonic.

Symphonic Addict

Braunfels's orchestral songs from these CDs:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on Today at 09:29:10 AMRachmaninoff, Piano Sonata No 2, Ashkenazy

In find myself disappointed. I have trouble recognizing the musical themes that inhabit the sensuous musical texture. Can't complain about Ashkenazy, but Decca gives him surprisingly muddy, clangy sound. I was surprised to check the recording data and find that the re
Quote from: Spotted Horses on Today at 09:29:10 AMRachmaninoff, Piano Sonata No 2, Ashkenazy

In find myself disappointed. I have trouble recognizing the musical themes that inhabit the sensuous musical texture. Can't complain about Ashkenazy, but Decca gives him surprisingly muddy, clangy sound. I was surprised to check the recording data and find that the recording was made in 1980.

Did a spot check of Shelley, who I also have on my shelves. Did not make a strong impression. Which version do people like best? I've decided to try Ruth Laredo, based on my positive impression of her Scriabin recordings.
cording was made in 1980.

This version by Emre Yavuz absolutely blew me away - its quite individual and personal but it worked for me.....

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 3in D Minor, 1877 Version Ed. Leopld Nowak (with Scherzo coda) Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Nikolaus Harnoncourt

AnotherSpin