Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1696994 times)

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #54800 on: Today at 09:22:41 AM »
Listening to Sondheim, Sondheim, and more Sondheim, probably for awhile.

RIP.

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #54801 on: Today at 09:41:49 AM »
No surprise:

CD 12:

Peter
Mennin
String Quartet № 2 (1951)

Andrew Imbrie

String Quartet № 1 in Bb (1942)

A little amusing to reflect that the Imbrie is Musica antica here 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #54802 on: Today at 10:04:23 AM »
Listening to Sondheim, Sondheim, and more Sondheim, probably for awhile.

RIP.

--Bruce
I heard the news too a couple of hours ago.  What a talent!

TD

Hugo Alfvén's Uppsala-rapsodi (Swedish Rhapsody No. 2) followed by his Symphony No. 1 with N. Järvi and the Royal Stockholm Phil. Orch.

PD

Online MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #54803 on: Today at 10:12:44 AM »
Vaughan-Williams - Job /Handley,LPO /emi CD
« Last Edit: Today at 10:14:45 AM by MusicTurner »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #54804 on: Today at 10:13:08 AM »

The "Rosamunde" is my favorite Schubert SQ (https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19693.msg695725.html#msg695725) and this version is outstanding both musically and sonically.

I don't remember listening to the G-minor D18 quartet before. Wow! What a tremendous work! First movement more Sturm-und-Drang-ish than most Sturm-und-Drang-ers, second movement Lanner-like waltzing before Lanner ever put pen to paper, third movement bittersweet melancholy as only Schubert could have delivered and final movement party like there's no tomorrow, ditto. Superb.

Hat tip to Traverso for literally pushing me towards beginning this very rewarding journey. Thank you very much, Jan!

"Melody is the essence of music." - Mozart

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one-half that you see." - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #54805 on: Today at 10:48:04 AM »
Well, I decided to just put on a relaxing Spotify playlist:

Piccinini, Alessandro (1556-1638) - Lute Music on a variety of historic instruments and with the performers below. Short Wiki article w/ brief summary below.  Dave :)

In fact I find Piccinini quite challenging, much less simple tunes and rhythms than Kapsberger.  This is the one which has got under my skin most recently.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #54806 on: Today at 10:52:26 AM »
Vaughan-Williams - Job /Handley,LPO /emi CD
I see that you have (temporarily) switched in Vaughan Williams mode?  :)

Taking a short break here and put on a Geza Anda CD that I hadn't yet gotten around to listening to.  It's a live CD from Ermitage from 1965 and in quite decent sound.  On it:  Chopin's 12 Etudes, Schumann's Davidsbündlertänze and Schubert's Piano Sonatas in A major, D 664.  Really enjoying the Schumann!  :)

PD

p.s.  Feels nice to sit for a while:  I've been busy with usual house chores including making some chicken and vegetable soup.  Will be a nice balance to my Thanksgiving Day lasagna...lol

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #54807 on: Today at 11:00:50 AM »
Schubert
String Quartet in a minor, D 804
Wiener Konzerthausquartett

I'm not sure I had heard this piece before my friend Peter lent me the CD while I was in rehab. It has now become one of my favorite pieces, both to listen to with full attention, and as something to play while I am dropping off.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #54808 on: Today at 11:01:56 AM »

Taking a short break here and put on a Geza Anda CD that I hadn't yet gotten around to listening to.  It's a live CD from Ermitage from 1965 and in quite decent sound.  On it:  Chopin's 12 Etudes, Schumann's Davidsbündlertänze and Schubert's Piano Sonatas in A major, D 664.  Really enjoying the Schumann!  :)

PD

p.s.  Feels nice to sit for a while:  I've been busy with usual house chores including making some chicken and vegetable soup.  Will be a nice balance to my Thanksgiving Day lasagna...lol

I like lasagne as a Th'giving dish, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #54809 on: Today at 11:04:45 AM »

(...)

PD

Yes, there's a lot of attractive music from him, and works I'm less familiar with ...
also, there's something basically fresh and positive about his style.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #54810 on: Today at 11:24:51 AM »
In fact I find Piccinini quite challenging, much less simple tunes and rhythms than Kapsberger.  This is the one which has got under my skin most recently.

Hi Mandryka - just checked Spotify and the recording w/ Paul Beier is available, along w/ several others not in my playlist, including Nigel North inserted above.  From his short Wiki bio (link below), his works are published in just two 'books' (one by his son after his father's death) - not sure how large and how many different works are in these volumes?  Just curious of the 6-8 recordings that I've seen on Spotify, how many performers are simply duplicating what is being played by others - curious if you have a better handle on his output?  Dave :)

Works:
Intavolatura di liuto, et di chitarrone, libro primo, nel quale si contengano dell’uno, & dell’altro stromento arie, baletti, correnti, gagliarde, canzoni, & ricercate musicali, & altre à dui, e trè liuti concertati insieme; et una inscrittione d’avertimenti, che insegna la maniera, & il modo di ben sonare con facilità i sudetti stromenti (Bologna, 1623)

Intavolatura di liuto, nel quale si contengono toccate, ricercate musicali, corrente, gagliarde, chiaccone, e passacagli alla vera spagnola, un bergamasco, con varie partite, una battaglia, & altri capricci (Bologna, 1639, published posthumously) (Source)

Online MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #54811 on: Today at 11:28:07 AM »

PD

Not knowing the Ermitage recording, his DG Davidsbündlertänze is enjoyable too ...

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #54812 on: Today at 11:30:39 AM »
Now: Bliss 'A Colour Symphony' (Hickox BBCNOW)

earlier
Shostakovich Symphony No.4 (still one of my favourite recordings, which introduced me to the work on LP)

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).