Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1589897 times)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #52180 on: Today at 03:24:46 PM »
Britten: Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

This work is much more brilliant than I had thought, and what a smashing performance! Britten was a quite clever composer.

Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #52181 on: Today at 03:39:09 PM »

Malcolm Arnold: Symphony No.2, op.40; Symphony No.3, op.63. Andrew Penny, National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland

Happy centennial to the maestro Sir Malcolm.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #52182 on: Today at 04:05:03 PM »
Bernard Haitink passed away, he was a conductor I always admired.He died peacefully.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #52183 on: Today at 04:14:31 PM »

I'm not sure why I never picked this up earlier, it's great

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #52184 on: Today at 04:16:37 PM »
Bernard Haitink passed away, he was a conductor I always admired.He died peacefully.

For real? An important loss. May he rest in peace. We'll appreciate his legacy all this life and beyond. I think he was an indefatigable great conductor among the more respected.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #52185 on: Today at 04:19:45 PM »

Damn... I'm so sorry to hear that. I was just writing the other day about how he's probably the greatest living conductor, though he retired a couple of years back. Rest in peace to the maestro. Shall have to spin one of his recordings soon. After this, perhaps:

Malcolm Arnold: Concerto for Two Pianos, Three Hands, op.104. Phyllis Sellick, Cyril Smith, Malcolm Arnold, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra

Online classicalgeek

• Currently Listening to:
    Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #52186 on: Today at 04:46:33 PM »
Bernard Haitink passed away, he was a conductor I always admired. He died peacefully.

A tremendously versatile conductor whom I enjoyed listening to in a variety of music. I particularly enjoyed his Ravel orchestral works, his Strauss tone poems, and his Shostakovich Symphony no. 8, to name but a few. Condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

Thread duty:

Martinu
Field Mass
Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano, and Timpani
Czech Philharmonic
Sir Charles Mackerras

Powerful and intense works!

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #52187 on: Today at 05:09:57 PM »
Damn... I'm so sorry to hear that. I was just writing the other day about how he's probably the greatest living conductor, though he retired a couple of years back. Rest in peace to the maestro. Shall have to spin one of his recordings soon. After this, perhaps:

Malcolm Arnold: Concerto for Two Pianos, Three Hands, op.104. Phyllis Sellick, Cyril Smith, Malcolm Arnold, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra

He will always be remembered for the many matinees on Christmas Day. Unforgettable concerts of most of the Mahler symphonies.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #52188 on: Today at 05:12:26 PM »

Schumann symphonies 1 and 2 from the Haitink Symphony Edition

Haitink was not often mentioned in relation to this composer, but his interpretations are fresh, vital, with a welcome breadth of utterance.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #52189 on: Today at 05:22:55 PM »

Gustav Mahler: Lieder aus Des Knaben Wunderhorn. Jessye Norman, John Shirley-Quirk, Bernard Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

In memoriam. Haitink had a feeling for Mahler that few could match.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #52190 on: Today at 05:26:27 PM »
Yes,I enjoyed it very much.In de last part I heard reminicenties that made me think of Wagner.I listened afterwards to the Askenazy recording of that adagio and there  it was not so  prominent  .

Shostakovich certainly quotes Wagner in there.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #52191 on: Today at 05:46:44 PM »
Joining several others in marking the centennial of Malcolm Arnold's birth:

Arnold
Symphony no. 5
London Symphony Orchestra
Richard Hickox

Arnold's sense of humor is evident here as in many of his works - but this is ultimately a tragic piece. The slow movement is strikingly gorgeous and instantly memorable, and of course it returns to cap off the finale - only it's cut short by a sudden turn to a minor key, and the symphony quickly collapses into darkness. Quite the piece.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #52192 on: Today at 06:02:49 PM »
Joining several others in marking the centennial of Malcolm Arnold's birth:

Arnold
Symphony no. 5
London Symphony Orchestra
Richard Hickox

Arnold's sense of humor is evident here as in many of his works - but this is ultimately a tragic piece. The slow movement is strikingly gorgeous and instantly memorable, and of course it returns to cap off the finale - only it's cut short by a sudden turn to a minor key, and the symphony quickly collapses into darkness. Quite the piece.

Yes, Arnold had a distorted sense of reality and mental problems that stamped on many of his works. The Symphony No. 7 is especially disturbing, but quite witty and without losing his "sense of humor". One of my favorite English composers, in a top 25.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #52193 on: Today at 06:07:54 PM »
Bizet: Symphony in C

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #52194 on: Today at 07:24:06 PM »

Very nice piano, totally clear in all registers and a strong bass, this man can play counterpoint, he can arrange the voices in an interesting way. The longest 960/i I can remember hearing, I don’t know if he talks about the choice in the booklet.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:30:48 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Anton Bruckner (1824 - 1896)
    Bruckner, Mahler, R. Strauss, Sibelius, Dvořák, Berlioz, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Glazunov, Nielsen, Vaughan Williams
« Reply #52195 on: Today at 07:59:33 PM »

Gustav Mahler: Lieder aus Des Knaben Wunderhorn. Jessye Norman, John Shirley-Quirk, Bernard Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

In memoriam. Haitink had a feeling for Mahler that few could match.

I'll go on the record in say that Haitink's recording of Das Lied von der Erde is a desert island recording for me. There's nothing like it and as much as I love say the Klemperer, there's a magic in the Haitink that I can't even put into words. Incredible performance.
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Anton Bruckner (1824 - 1896)
    Bruckner, Mahler, R. Strauss, Sibelius, Dvořák, Berlioz, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Glazunov, Nielsen, Vaughan Williams
« Reply #52196 on: Today at 08:19:48 PM »
NP:

Brahms
Clarinet Sonata in E-flat major, Op. 102 No. 2
Martin Fröst, Roland Pöntinen

"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #52197 on: Today at 10:31:41 PM »
Early morning listening:
Vaughan Williams 'In the Fen County':
LPO, Bernard Haitink
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).