What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Linz

Hermann Bischoff Symphony No. 1 in E major, Op. 16, Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz, Werner Andreas Albert

Todd

It's been at least a decade since I last listened to Chailly's Mahler cycle.  I think it's time to revisit it.  I'll see how many symphonies I can get through.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Irons

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 18, 2024, 11:08:36 AMIvo Jirásek
Symphony - 'Matka Naděje' or 'Mother Hope'
Zdeněk Košler
Czech Philharmonic
Supraphon

Left field discovery while looking for Novak's, 'The Storm' on Spotify (which doesn't seem to be available for streaming).

Can't find much on Jirásek at all, on t'internet. I like this symphony very much, however. Atmospheric, dramatic, thoughtful, punctuated with contemplative passages that build and drop tension, loud and strident brass and percussion... niiiice....

That cover rung a bell - sure enough a LP version resides on my shelves. Thanks are in order as I enjoyed the recording very much. The use of orchestra is particularly striking, a sort of symphonic concerto for orchestra if that makes sense. I don't know if you had access to programme notes but of interest that Jirasek conceived the symphony to include baritone solo to the text of a poem by Vitezslav Nezval, indeed the premiere included the vocal part. Afterwards Jirasek decided to drop the baritone solo, although the symphony is built around Nezval's poem. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mapman

Mendelssohn: Symphony #2 "Lobgesang"
Abbado: LSO

The first orchestral movements are wonderful.

SonicMan46

This afternoon, I decided to pull out my Martinu collection of just over two dozen discs:

Martinů, Bohuslav -Cello Works & Chamber Music for starters (first row of pics below) + spreadsheet of what else I own at bottom - Bohuslav was an extremely prolific composer (list HERE), some would same TOO productive -  :D   But, I do enjoy many of these works even not being much of a 20th century music fan (but I do have a number of exceptions as the 'usual suspects') -  8)   Dave

Lisztianwagner

Max Reger
Piano Concerto in F minor, Op. 114

Eduard Erdmann (piano)
Hans Rosbaud & Kölner Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

VonStupp

CM von Weber
Flute Trio in G minor, op. 63
Piano Quartet in B-flat Major, op. 8

Irena Grafenauer, flute
Gidon Kremer, violin
Veronika Hagen, viola
Clemens Hagen, cello
Vadim Sakharov, piano
Kremerata Musica

Boy, was I taken aback by Weber's Flute Trio! It is a beautiful, haunting piece of music.

Too often I skip over smaller chamber music, but I am glad to have visited this one. Theirs is a robust Romantic view of this music, which I know is not for everyone. It worked for me, though.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: pjme on Today at 01:55:02 AMSome of these recordings (Léonce Gras , Franz André) must be quite old and -possibly- stem from the radio archives.

The recording of the 5th (the least adequate one of the bunch) is from 1995, and the symphony was played by the Moscow S.O. under Frédéric Devreese.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

The arrangement for string orchestra of the String Quintet didn't convince much, above all the first two movements. It's the Sinfonia Concertante for violin, viola, two horns and string orchestra the main dish here. A work that is by turns heartfelt and restrained proper of his late period. A great piece.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: Irons on Today at 01:12:21 PMThat cover rung a bell - sure enough a LP version resides on my shelves. Thanks are in order as I enjoyed the recording very much. The use of orchestra is particularly striking, a sort of symphonic concerto for orchestra if that makes sense. I don't know if you had access to programme notes but of interest that Jirasek conceived the symphony to include baritone solo to the text of a poem by Vitezslav Nezval, indeed the premiere included the vocal part. Afterwards Jirasek decided to drop the baritone solo, although the symphony is built around Nezval's poem.

I did see that in one of the few information snippets about Jirásek. I think I prefer the non-baritone version even without hearing the original. Vocal parts don't often ring the right bells with me!

Glad you also like this 😁
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Karl Henning

Haven't listened to this in a while. The performance was six years ago.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot