What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo, pierocioff and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Symphonic Addict

Svendsen: String Octet in A major

An energetic, tuneful, symphonic-in-scale octet. A highlight in his output.

Foerster: Piano Trio No. 1 in F minor

More music with memorable material. The slow movement and the fourth movement are especially fine.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Le Buisson Ardent

NP:

Brahms
Trio in A Minor for viola, cello and piano, Op. 114
Lawrence Power, Tim Hugh, Simon Crawford-Phillips

From this OOP set -

Tonight may end up becoming a Brahms night. Over the last couple of years, I've developed a newfound love for his music. It's truly affected me deeply.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." ― Gustav Mahler

Le Buisson Ardent

NP:

Brahms
Piano Pieces, Op. 118
Jonathan Plowright

Plowright's five volume series of Brahms' solo piano works is nothing short of outstanding. Gorgeous playing.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." ― Gustav Mahler

Daverz

Bargiel: Piano Trio No. 2

Bargiel was Clara Schumann's half-brother, but I'd never heard of him or his music until recently.  This is a grand Romantic trio with fine and memorable melodies.

Schubert: Fantasy in C, D934 - Julia Fischer, Martin Helmchen

Delightful.

AnotherSpin

Le Buisson Ardent

Last work for the night:

Tchaikovsky
Pieces, Op. 72
Viktoria Postnikova, piano

From this set -

steve ridgway

Messiaen: Petites Esquisses D'Oiseaux

steve ridgway

vandermolen

George Lloyd: Symphony No.7
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 19, 2024, 11:41:03 PMGeorge Lloyd: Symphony No.7
For me, the 'great unknown Briton'. As a teenager, when I 'discovered' almost all the British composers who are still dear to me, I tried out a few symphonies. The flame didn't catch, and I didn't get around to him after that. I thought he was as boring as Elgar, frankly. :-). What am I not hearing right? Where should I start?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Que

Rare Franco-Flemish music of excellent quality!

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on May 19, 2024, 11:45:40 PMFor me, the 'great unknown Briton'. As a teenager, when I 'discovered' almost all the British composers who are still dear to me, I tried out a few symphonies. The flame didn't catch, and I didn't get around to him after that. I thought he was as boring as Elgar, frankly. :-). What am I not hearing right? Where should I start?
He is not everyone's cup of tea and GL has been a bit of a slow-burn for me. I became interested when the 8th Symphony was released on LP on Lyrita and Gramophone gave it quite a lot of publicity. It was the war-related 4th Symphony which hooked me in. I like symphonies 4,7,8,11 and 12 (5 is good as well). I think that it is just a matter of taste. The music is often endearingly old-fashioned but I find that in works like the 7th Symphony there is a kind of poetic depth which I find appealing and, at times, moving. The 4th Symphony in Edward Downes's recording is my favourite. There is a VG Lyrita boxed set featuring symphonies 4,5 and 8. I prefer these performances to the ones conducted by Lloyd himself. I had some nice letter exchanges with him after I saw him conduct his 11th Symphony in London many moons ago.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

pjme

Martinu / concerto nr 5 . A work that I cherish. There is joy, but at its core lingers sadness and nostalgia.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on Today at 12:06:07 AMHe is not everyone's cup of tea and GL has been a bit of a slow-burn for me. I became interested when the 8th Symphony was released on LP on Lyrita and Gramophone gave it quite a lot of publicity. It was the war-related 4th Symphony which hooked me in. I like symphonies 4,7,8,11 and 12 (5 is good as well). I think that it is just a matter of taste. The music is often endearingly old-fashioned but I find that in works like the 7th Symphony there is a kind of poetic depth which I find appealing and, at times, moving. The 4th Symphony in Edward Downes's recording is my favourite. There is a VG Lyrita boxed set featuring symphonies 4,5 and 8. I prefer these performances to the ones conducted by Lloyd himself. I had some nice letter exchanges with him after I saw him conduct his 11th Symphony in London many moons ago.

Unusually - for me - even though I have all the symphonies (and the operas) and I keep trying to be engaged by Lloyd I simply don't.  Its not that I dislike it, it simply does not engage me.  So I enjoy some parts and then realise my mind has wandered for other parts.  I have no issue at all with the "old fashioned" aspect of his music and by rights I should like this music.  Isn't it odd how we all have unpredictable blank spots like this!

Mookalafalas

It's all good...