Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Talk about "under the wire"!  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wakefield

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Camphy

Quote from: Gordo on May 22, 2015, 10:43:30 AM
Excellent recording!

Do you know this?

http://www.youtube.com/v/dBsXbn0clbU

To kill anxiety...  :)

No, I did not, although I knew about the earlier DVD release. Thanks for the link!

Pat B

[asin]B000003F7J[/asin]
[asin]B0000029KM[/asin]
[asin]B000031X2V[/asin]

[asin]B00000DNFM[/asin]

[asin]B007NCP7V0[/asin]
[asin]B0000063BG[/asin]

All from Half-Price Books -- they're having a 20% off sale this weekend.

kishnevi

Got around to ordering this.

aligreto

Ken B

:-[
[asin]B00742LLKU[/asin]

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on May 22, 2015, 02:16:01 PM
[asin]B00742LLKU[/asin]

Well done.  But you do know there is a performance of La Mer included?

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 22, 2015, 02:59:34 PM
Well done.  But you do know there is a performance of La Mer included?

Hence the  :-[

HIPster

A couple of recent purchases ~
[asin]B000067FFV[/asin]
[asin]B00J587LG4[/asin]
Product Description
This album brings together six English composers whose combined careers span more than a century Byrd, Tallis, Morley, Philips, White and Tomkins. The title Vigilate! (Be watchful!) epitomises the clandestine character of recusant music-making in Elizabethan England, by undercover Catholic composers of the time. The pieces on this recording display the richly imaginative, devout and diverse responses of musical craftsmen who worked with unfailing creativity in difficult times. The album comes in our usual casebook packaging and contains a 36 pages booklet with notes by Kerry McCarthy and texts in German, English and French. In March 2014, the Monteverdi Choir will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary.
Review
New York Times, Classical Best of 2014: This wrenching collection of Elizabethan responses to political and religious turbulence marks the Monteverdi Choir's 50th anniversary. Thomas Tallis, Robert White, Thomas Morley and Peter Philips are all represented, but William Byrd's "Turn our captivity," his "Nunc dimittis," and Thomas Tomkins's desperate, doubting "Almighty God, the fountain of all wisdom" are the recording's troubled heart.
-David Allen, New York Times

"Heads up!" was good advice to any Catholic in Elizabethan England, and Catholic composers with high public profiles had to be especially watchful. William Byrd famously kept his head by maintaining a strong personal relationship with the Queen; others, like Peter Philips, Robert White, Thomas Tallis, Thomas Morley, and Thomas Tomkins managed to write sacred music in the Catholic tradition without too much persecution, though their music often reflects the bloody controversies of the day - sometimes explicitly, sometimes subtly. As always, the Monteverdi Choir's performances of works by all of these composers (including Byrd's hair-raisingly moving "Civitas sancti tui" setting) are radiant. Strongly recommended to all libraries. --CD Hotlist, September 2014
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Ken B

Filling in a gap
[asin]B0000014DP[/asin]

Ken B

Quote from: sanantonio on May 22, 2015, 03:06:26 PM
It's great box.

;)

It's been 30 years since I heard P&M, or St Seb, or the other vocal pieces. And I wanted new recordings of the chamber stuff. Can always use another set of the piano music.

kishnevi

Almost all this music, apart from the Scriabin, is new to me.

The Arkivmusic page for the Part features a review from Robert Levine on Classics Today which begins thusly

I don't believe the Tallis Scholars have recorded any of Arvo Pärt's music before; their repertoire has been happily and brilliantly placed in the Renaissance, aside from a side trip to that contemporary semi-bore, the late John Tavener, who, I presume, must be acknowledged by every British choral group or they have their passports revoked

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 22, 2015, 05:32:54 PM
Almost all this music, apart from the Scriabin, is new to me.

The Arkivmusic page for the Part features a review from Robert Levine on Classics Today which begins thusly

I don't believe the Tallis Scholars have recorded any of Arvo Pärt's music before; their repertoire has been happily and brilliantly placed in the Renaissance, aside from a side trip to that contemporary semi-bore, the late John Tavener, who, I presume, must be acknowledged by every British choral group or they have their passports revoked

I am curious about the Joan Tower.
That Rameau is fantastic. It's in the superb Lumieres box.

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on May 22, 2015, 05:36:05 PM
I am curious about the Joan Tower.
That Rameau is fantastic. It's in the superb Lumieres box.

It is actually a different one, just released last month, and is a recording of the second version. 
The one in the Lumieres box (thank you for reminding me it is there!) is Christie/Arts Florissants.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on May 22, 2015, 02:16:01 PM
[asin]B00742LLKU[/asin]

I don't want you to give me grief about buying any more Turangalila recordings again! Consider this a form of black mail. ;D

Pat B

I may buy that Poulenc Stabat Mater disc just for the cover. (Not this month, though.)

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 22, 2015, 06:13:31 PM
I don't want you to give me grief about buying any more Turangalila recordings again! Consider this a form of black mail. ;D

If anybody asks it shows how open minded we both are.  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on May 22, 2015, 07:05:25 PM
If anybody asks it shows how open minded we both are.  8)

:laugh:

listener

at Sikoras today
the new WAGHALTER disc featuring the 'New World Suite and Overture and Intermezzo from Mandragola.  The previous disc with his Violin Concerto made me watch for a follow-up.
KRENEK: choral music  6 motets on words by Kafka, 5 Prayers, Kantate von der Vergänglichkeit des Irdischen...
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."