Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Arrived this morning: the first two volumes of the Haydn 2032 project consisting of Symphonies 1, 22, 39, 46, 47, 49, Gluck Don Juan ballet and W.F.Bach Symphony in F major.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Ken B

Bach, Complete Sacred Cantatas
Gardiner

The big black box.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Ken B on May 30, 2015, 05:28:54 AM
Bach, Complete Sacred Cantatas
Gardiner

The big black box.
I have that on my list. It looks fantastic, so I hope your reports will be in that vein.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

71 dB

[asin]B0000014FN[/asin]

Trying to be less confused.  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2015, 07:54:43 PM
Just bought:

Both are excellent discs, but I prefer the King of the Mountains, a delicious repast of folk dances and nature scenes. I love the Summer rain bit. This recording of the complete ballet is 80 minutes long and not a dull moment is in sight.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on May 30, 2015, 04:51:26 PM
Both are excellent discs, but I prefer the King of the Mountains, a delicious repast of folk dances and nature scenes. I love the Summer rain bit. This recording of the complete ballet is 80 minutes long and not a dull moment is in sight.

Good to hear, Andre. :) From what I've heard of this Alfven work (namely the suite), I enjoyed very much. Can't wait to hear the work in its entirety.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on May 30, 2015, 10:48:23 AM
[asin]B0000014FN[/asin]

Trying to be less confused.  ;D

Excellent! Let me know what you think of that recording, 71 dB.

Ken B

Quote from: mc ukrneal on May 30, 2015, 08:45:28 AM
I have that on my list. It looks fantastic, so I hope your reports will be in that vein.

My expectations are high. I'll be sure to report back. I know the one recording I have heard, 106, was superb.
CamelCamelCamel alerted me to a used like new copy. Useful service, but dangerous.

I now have 4 complete sets. Time to sell Leusink I think.

Que

Just ordered:

[asin]B00HNHM1G4[/asin]
Q

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 30, 2015, 06:49:39 PM
Excellent! Let me know what you think of that recording, 71 dB.

May take some time. Postal service is s..l...o....w these days. I'm still waiting for the Liszt (Années de Pèlerinage/Lortie) I ordered May 18.  :-\
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

HIPster

Big hat tip in Que's direction, for alerting me to this disc's existence ~
[asin]B000024MX3[/asin]
Finally hit a reasonable price-point for me. . .   ;)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Todd

Andras Schiff's new Schubert release inspired me to program my own little Shubertiade.  I figured I might as well throw in a few other items for fun.  (The two new Pictures will be compared to Maurizio Balini's recording.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

kishnevi

I have that Gevetadze CD someplace or other...I got it when it came out.  I remember the non Pictures items to be interesting.

Que

Quote from: HIPster on May 31, 2015, 09:21:22 AM
Big hat tip in Que's direction, for alerting me to this disc's existence ~
[asin]B000024MX3[/asin]
Finally hit a reasonable price-point for me. . .   ;)

Great!! :)

And I am hoping to do the same for the disc "Non e Tempo d'Aspettare", that you pointed out to me... :)

Q

Mirror Image

ritter

Urgent business took me to Brussels last Thursday, and for once I decided to stay in Belgium through Sunday. I thus missed Mahler's Sixth under Bychkov that I was looking forward to here in Madrid, but I had a great time (my daughter joined me for the weekend).

Well, all this introduction to say that in Bruges I stumbled onto what the blog On an overgrown path asked in 2008 whether it was the best record shop in the world ( here ), Rombaux. I can't answer that question, but it surely is one of the best I've ever been to.

Here's the result of my (totally unplanned and unexpected  ::) ) visit to that charming store:

Cherubini's pioneering "rescue opera" in a long OOP recording...

I had the Documents label's poor man's ersatz version of the complete Marcelle Meyer, but seeing the real thing at an affordable price was too much of a temptation to resist. The Documents set already has a new owner :) The beautifully produced "hommage" from Tahra, on the other hand, has this wonderful pianist doing things not on the EMI set (e.g., Casella, Petrassi, the Emperor concerto...)

Two OOP issues of Emmanuel Nunes, a recent discovery for me who's music is not easy to find.

Charles Bruck's pioneering Frencha-language recording of Prokofiev's superb opera, based on the (posthumous) world-première concert performances of the work.

That was Bruges. In Brussels, the shop at La Monnaie / De Munt is (temporarily?) shutting down due to renovation works at the opera house, and their vast inventory is being offered at discounts of 20% or more. Well, I luckily found volume 3 of Masaaki Suzuki's traversal of J.S. Bach's cantatas (also OOP in this format) at half-price. Now only volume 4 is missing from my collection  ;)

Abuelo Igor

No more Concertgebouw anthologies? I despair of ever finding volume 3...
L'enfant, c'est moi.

Moonfish

Quote from: Abuelo Igor on June 01, 2015, 02:53:43 PM
No more Concertgebouw anthologies? I despair of ever finding volume 3...

I guess it all depends on how much you want to pay....    >:D  0:)
Why not go for the full RCO collection? It is a gem!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Abuelo Igor

I already own five separate volumes, otherwise I would consider it. Duplicating whole 14-disc sets is a stage of CDCDCD I don't ever want to reach...

(The whole thing came up because, if I remember correctly, the Brussels shop was where ritter bought some RCO anthologies at a really low price)
L'enfant, c'est moi.

kishnevi

Should have posted this over the weekend.
From Arkiv.
The new Schubert Schiff CD, the same posted by Todd yesternight, plus these

Hat tip to Harry for the last one.