Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

cilgwyn

I got this towards the end of last year. I wasn't that mad on it then;but I put it on now,and I'm enjoying it now. I haven't listened to the whole cd yet,mind!!

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

71 dB

Another "contemporary" Naxos dics:

[asin]B00BX8TZ3G[/asin]
Luis Tinoco - Round Time - Naxos 8.572981
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

kishnevi

Quote from: Harry's corner on February 04, 2017, 01:44:39 AM
I ordered quite a few new CD'S today. Looking forward to the big parcel....

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2017/02/i-ordered-few-cds-today-mostly-fine.html?spref=tw

The Handel was one of my first purchases when I got into buying CDs.  It's a well done "reconstruction".

ritter

OK...Mahlerian's and Aligreto's posts  ;) tipped the balance (even if all that organ music isn't really my thing  ::) ):

[asin]B01GQWSWFK[/asin]

And my umpteenth recording of a favourite opera (the only Verdi I really care for):

[asin]B00J4C1BXA[/asin]

ritter

And more vintage stuff:

[asin]B000001GXA[/asin]
Karl Böhm's first recording of the Missa Solemnis, which I had been looking for for quite a while, and now resurfaced at an attractive price.

[asin]B000028B1M[/asin]
Hat-tip to Jo498 on this (he mentioned "Von deutscher Seele" in the "late-romanticism recommendations" thread. The Keilberth recording on DG seems unobtainable these days at anything approaching a reasonable price, but I suppose Jochum should excel in this repertoire as well. And let' see what it was that angered Adorno so much about this piece  ;)

Spineur

Some more vintage: Kent Nagano directing the French version of Salomé

Curious to hear how it compares with the german version I have (Christoph von Dohnanyi-Covent garden)

North Star

Snatched from Amazon UK mp
[asin]B00N5BQQRW[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Wakefield

Quote from: North Star on February 05, 2017, 04:50:08 AM
Snatched from Amazon UK mp
[asin]B00N5BQQRW[/asin]

Excellent! IMO, the best choice in this repertoire. At least, I prefer them to Devos/Kuijken (Accent) and Rivest/Breitman (Analekta). 

:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

North Star

Quote from: Gordo on February 05, 2017, 05:10:56 AM
Excellent! IMO, the best choice in this repertoire. At least, I prefer them to Devos/Kuijken (Accent) and Rivest/Breitman (Analekta). 

:)
Cheers, Gordo. The set certainly has been praised a lot at GMG and by critics - and I definitely like Podger's playing in general.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

André

Haydn: sonatas played on the clavichord.

aligreto

Quote from: André on February 05, 2017, 09:41:05 AM

Haydn: sonatas played on the clavichord.

I will be interested to read your thoughts on that one once you get a chance to listen to it.

André

That will be sometime toward the end of the month. I won't be back home before then.

I definitely look forward to discover that one. The reviews are enthusiastic.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: aligreto on February 05, 2017, 10:30:19 AM
I will be interested to read your thoughts on that one once you get a chance to listen to it.

I've had that disk for several years now. It is the equal of Derek Adlam's (Guild) in quality, with good sound from the clavichord. As with all clavichord disks, you have to reconcile yourself to listening at a moderate volume to diminish the mechanical sounds of the instrument. Worth the extra effort though.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

aligreto

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 05, 2017, 10:56:16 AM
I've had that disk for several years now. It is the equal of Derek Adlam's (Guild) in quality, with good sound from the clavichord. As with all clavichord disks, you have to reconcile yourself to listening at a moderate volume to diminish the mechanical sounds of the instrument. Worth the extra effort though.

8)

I appreciate the aural difficulties of such a recording and I appreciate the input as it is a CD that I would be interested in.

kishnevi

Quote from: ritter on February 04, 2017, 01:39:26 PM
OK...Mahlerian's and Aligreto's posts  ;) tipped the balance (even if all that organ music isn't really my thing  ::) ):

[asin]B01GQWSWFK[/asin]

And my umpteenth recording of a favourite opera (the only Verdi I really care for):

[asin]B00J4C1BXA[/asin]

The price was right on the Reger so I too ordered it.

Falstaff is one of my favorite operas. I have yet to come across a bad recording of it.

Further TD

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 05, 2017, 07:38:48 PM

Further TD

Let me know what you think of that Sibelius VC performance whenever you get the chance, Jeffrey.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 05, 2017, 07:56:51 PM
Let me know what you think of that Sibelius VC performance whenever you get the chance, Jeffrey.

Will do. But to be honest, I bought it for the Ades, which I've never heard.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 05, 2017, 08:09:08 PM
Will do. But to be honest, I bought it for the Ades, which I've never heard.

The Ades work is pretty forgettable (even though you didn't ask for my opinion), but it has been quite some time since I've heard it. I own the EMI recording of it with Anthony Marwood on violin with the composer conducting.