Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumn Leaves

Latest buy:

A re-purchase.

aligreto

Quote from: Mahlerian on May 19, 2017, 01:51:36 PM

I think that was me.  It's a fine version of the Piano Concerto indeed, but I would advise against judging the Schoenberg Violin Concerto on the performance on that disc.  It's horribly screechy, and doesn't sing like the work should.

Hat tip to you sir on the Piano Concerto.  ;)

Thank you for the comment on the Schoenberg Violin Concerto. I have no other version of this work nor do I know the work at all.
I will therefore guard against forming any opinion of the work based on my listening to this version.

aligreto

Quote from: Conor71 on May 19, 2017, 10:13:52 PM
Latest buy:

A re-purchase.

I collected all of the original individual discs in that set until the plug was pulled on the project.

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: aligreto on May 20, 2017, 12:04:32 AM
I collected all of the original individual discs in that set until the plug was pulled on the project.

Yes, just the 12 Discs of Cantatas in this set from Archiv - I am really curious about the JEG Cantata discs on SDG: I suspect they are probably superior to the ones in my box but it is just speculation on my part.
How do you think the 2 Cantata cycles compare? (I am interested as I have been considering investing in the SDG box, assuming I will have the funds and inclination to do so at a later date).

aligreto

Quote from: Conor71 on May 20, 2017, 01:12:25 AM
Yes, just the 12 Discs of Cantatas in this set from Archiv - I am really curious about the JEG Cantata discs on SDG: I suspect they are probably superior to the ones in my box but it is just speculation on my part.
How do you think the 2 Cantata cycles compare? (I am interested as I have been considering investing in the SDG box, assuming I will have the funds and inclination to do so at a later date).

As usual, this is one where different people who have both often disagree. For my part there is not really that much between them technically. They are the same forces on both after all.
However, for me, the SDG has the edge because they are live performances as opposed to the studio Archiv set. Also, if one is interested in such things, the presentation on the SDG is far superior with each edition having a very good booklet with it. I am not sure that this follows through into the big box edition; you would need to check that.
As I am typing this I am asking myself if I want to listen to a JSB Cantata under Gardiner what set would I reach for? The answer unquestionably is the SDG one so I suppose that really answers the question  :)

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: aligreto on May 20, 2017, 02:58:31 AM
As usual, this is one where different people who have both often disagree. For my part there is not really that much between them technically. They are the same forces on both after all.
However, for me, the SDG has the edge because they are live performances as opposed to the studio Archiv set. Also, if one is interested in such things, the presentation on the SDG is far superior with each edition having a very good booklet with it. I am not sure that this follows through into the big box edition; you would need to check that.
As I am typing this I am asking myself if I want to listen to a JSB Cantata under Gardiner what set would I reach for? The answer unquestionably is the SDG one so I suppose that really answers the question  :)

Thanks for your thoughts aligreto - I've been getting into live recordings more the last couple of years and that would be a big selling point about the SDG cycle for me too.
I also like the presentation (particularly the artwork) of the SDG - as you say Ill have to check out if the artwork/booklets are part of the big set before committing to it (I certainly hope they are) :).

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on May 20, 2017, 12:03:11 AM
Thank you for the comment on the Schoenberg Violin Concerto. I have no other version of this work nor do I know the work at all.
I will therefore guard against forming any opinion of the work based on my listening to this version.

Hilary Hahn is generally very highly regarded in this piece:

[asin]B0011WMWUW[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 20, 2017, 06:09:03 AM
Hilary Hahn is generally very highly regarded in this piece:

[asin]B0011WMWUW[/asin]

Duly noted and thank you for that  ;)

king ubu

Quote from: Conor71 on May 20, 2017, 05:41:32 AM
I also like the presentation (particularly the artwork) of the SDG - as you say Ill have to check out if the artwork/booklets are part of the big set before committing to it (I certainly hope they are) :).
Only as PDFs, alas. But the box is still rather nicely made.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: king ubu on May 20, 2017, 02:11:43 PM
Only as PDFs, alas. But the box is still rather nicely made.

Ahhh, cheers KU! - Is the artwork for the original releases reproduced on the CD sleeves in the box?

Pat B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 17, 2017, 06:37:59 PM
Just now. The Beethoven is part of Arkivmusic's one day sale. The other two are new releases.

Years ago I imprinted on Leinsdorf's Beethoven 4, which was unfortunate because he botches the rhythm in the opening. It took me a long time to de-imprint.

king ubu

Quote from: Conor71 on May 20, 2017, 09:05:47 PM
Ahhh, cheers KU! - Is the artwork for the original releases reproduced on the CD sleeves in the box?
The great portrait photographs are there. They're slim cardboard covers with a flap (two-fold), so the CDs are protected somewhat better than in normal cardboard sleeves. The booklet is minimal but you get all of Gardiner's text electronically at least.

Also be aware that four of the Archiv discs were taken/released from the cantata pilgrimage, and as the box has the complete results of that year-long journey, they're duplicated.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

nodogen

Ravel and Debussy being two of my favourite composers...

[asin]B001BWQWKS[/asin]

GioCar

A familiar (no)name and avatar...nice to see you here  :)

Quote from: nodogen on May 21, 2017, 05:44:52 AM

[asin]B001BWQWKS[/asin]
Someone would say "pounds the table"  :D

nodogen

Quote from: GioCar on May 21, 2017, 06:43:07 AM
A familiar (no)name and avatar...nice to see you here  :)

Someone would say "pounds the table"  :D

Molto grazie, you too. The air seems fresher round here. 🌬

Mirror Image

Quote from: nodogen on May 21, 2017, 05:44:52 AM

[asin]B001BWQWKS[/asin]

A fine disc. The Fauré SQ is quite fine as well. I've never been too crazy for the Debussy SQ, but Ravel's SQ is outstanding.

kishnevi

Not actual purchases...but I've checked out the entire Xenakis holdings of the Broward County Public Library system.

Works included
Echange
Palimpsest
Waarg
Eonta

Contents as listed on the LP cover.  My copy is the CD, which for some reason Amazon didn't turn up in my search.

kishnevi

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on May 21, 2017, 10:16:29 AM

You're making me so jealous, I haven't heard that disk. All tracks except Waarg  are available elsewhere but what desperation I still have to hear it  :-*

Snyprrr says good things about it!

(*Proceeds to try to snatch it out of Jeffrey's hands)

What are your thoughts on it anyway? (I can't remember if you like IX prior or not...)
:)

I have absolutely no experience of Xenakis.  Which is why I got these.  There's a good chance I won't like it, so there won't be money to regret if I don't.  And if I do, then Amazon awaits.

A while back, I asked for and received some suggestions of where to start with Xenakis, but I decided to go this way instead. 

The Asko CD is available used, albeit not  cheaply.  So you don't need to rely on virtual larceny
[asin]B00008EMHQ[/asin]

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: king ubu on May 21, 2017, 04:37:05 AM
The great portrait photographs are there. They're slim cardboard covers with a flap (two-fold), so the CDs are protected somewhat better than in normal cardboard sleeves. The booklet is minimal but you get all of Gardiner's text electronically at least.

Also be aware that four of the Archiv discs were taken/released from the cantata pilgrimage, and as the box has the complete results of that year-long journey, they're duplicated.

Thanks again - :D good to know those beautiful photos are used in the box set too.
I didnt know about the Archiv Discs being part of the big-box so a bit of duplication for sure (but I could probably live with it if I get the full set) :).

springrite

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 21, 2017, 08:47:14 AM

Contents as listed on the LP cover.  My copy is the CD, which for some reason Amazon didn't turn up in my search.

Oh I have this CD as well. I only play it when there is no one else around though.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.