JBS

With assistance from Madiel and Brian
[asin]B019D93B18[/asin]
From Amazon UK Marketplace

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

The new erato

So did I:

[asin]B019D93B18[/asin]

Got it for £24, Vat deducted an P&P included from Amazon.uk. Already shipped and today th price is up by around 9 quid.

Traverso

Songs by Wolkenstein

Looking forward  for this one.

André

springrite

Havergal Brian: The Vision of Cleopatra
Label: Dutton

Berlioz: Les Troyens
4 CDs + DVD Video; Label: Erato

Frank Bridge: Dance Rhapsody, 'Rebus' Overture & Poems for Orchestra
Label: Lyrita

Jacqueline du Pré: The Complete EMI Recordings
17 CDs; Label: EMI

Martinu - Chamber Works (Piano Quartets, etc.)
Label: Chandos

Florent Schmitt: Suites from 'Antoine et Cléopâtre' & Symphony No. 2
Label: Chandos

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Biffo

A new release from Chandos, Barry Douglas playing Mussorgsky Pictures and Tchaikovsky Seasons. I bought it as a lossless download, the CD is available next month.

I remember seeing Douglas playing the Mussorgsky at the Tchaikovsky International Piano Competition, Moscow on television. The Great Gate of Kiev was titanic and he was pouring with sweat - partly I suspect because of the tv lights but also the colossal effort he put into the work.

Christo

Quote from: André on October 10, 2018, 02:37:21 PM

That's the one Vandermolen and me were also referring at; starting the Kokkonen series - but still the best of that series (in my ears).
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Sergeant Rock

Arrived today: Grimaud's new album, Memory, consisting of short pieces, all but one under five minutes.

Silvestrov: Bagatellen Nr. 1-3
Debussy: Arabesque Nr. 1; La plus que lente; Clair de lune; Reverie
Satie: Gnossiennes Nr. 1 & 4; Gymnopedie Nr. 1; Danse de travers Nr. 1 & 2
Chopin: Nocturne Nr. 19 E minor; Mazurka Nr. 13 A minor; Waltz Nr. 3 A minor
Sawhney: Breathing Light

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 11, 2018, 04:30:57 AM
Arrived today: Grimaud's new album, Memory, consisting of short pieces, all but one under five minutes.

Silvestrov: Bagatellen Nr. 1-3
Debussy: Arabesque Nr. 1; La plus que lente; Clair de lune; Reverie
Satie: Gnossiennes Nr. 1 & 4; Gymnopedie Nr. 1; Danse de travers Nr. 1 & 2
Chopin: Nocturne Nr. 19 E minor; Mazurka Nr. 13 A minor; Waltz Nr. 3 A minor
Sawhney: Breathing Light

Sarge

Nice program.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 11, 2018, 04:37:34 AM
Nice program.
+1
It seems it's just Silvestrov's Bagatellen I & II in the program, with the Debussy Arabesque between the two.
An excerpt from Mompou's Musica callada would have been a cool addition to the program..  8)

G'day, Karl & Sarge!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

André

Quote from: Christo on October 11, 2018, 03:15:29 AM
That's the one Vandermolen and me were also referring at; starting the Kokkonen series - but still the best of that series (in my ears).

My Kokkonen discs are the BIS of symphony 3, opus sonorum and Requiem, and the 2 disc set on Finlandia. I have had trouble going further because what I was interested in was either too expensive or implied duplication. I will now have twice the symphony no 3 and twice the cello concerto. But since the 4th symphony is what I'm really interested in, this seemed to be the best I could do - especially for 2.57£  :)

In the Top 10 Nordic Works thread I had named the 3rd symphony on my list. I have high hopes for no 4  :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on October 11, 2018, 04:46:17 AM
+1
It seems it's just Silvestrov's Bagatellen I & II in the program, with the Debussy Arabesque between the two.

You are correct: only two of the Bagatellen on the CD: op. 1/1 and op. 1/2.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: André on October 11, 2018, 06:58:21 AM
My Kokkonen discs are the BIS of symphony 3, opus sonorum and Requiem, and the 2 disc set on Finlandia. I have had trouble going further because what I was interested in was either too expensive or implied duplication. I will now have twice the symphony no 3 and twice the cello concerto. But since the 4th symphony is what I'm really interested in, this seemed to be the best I could do - especially for 2.57£  :)

In the Top 10 Nordic Works thread I had named the 3rd symphony on my list. I have high hopes for no 4  :)

Apropos of nothing, I noticed that the release of Symphonies 3 and 4 from Ondine that Vandermolen liked so well seems to be unavailable in the US, but I noticed it can be downloaded (mp3 or FLAC lossless) at presto classical. I'm thinking of downloading Symphony No 4 from that release, since the other pieces (Symphony No 3 and the Cello Concerto) are already in my collection.

Now that I'm listening almost exclusively to FLAC files streamed to my CD player from the computer, I've discovered the cost-saving benefit of being able to download individual works from a release with a lot of unattractive fillers.

Maestro267

MacMillan: A Scotch Bestiary; Piano Concerto No. 2
Marshall (organ/piano)/BBC PO/MacMillan

JBS

Ordered tonight
[asin]B07F7V1XPX[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Maestro267

MacMillan: St. John Passion
Maltman (baritone, Christus), London Symphony Chorus
London SO/C. Davis

Traverso

Quote from: JBS on October 12, 2018, 04:21:43 PM
Ordered tonight
[asin]B07F7V1XPX[/asin]

Interesting box,  it is on my wishlist. ;)

Biffo

Quote from: JBS on October 12, 2018, 04:21:43 PM
Ordered tonight
[asin]B07F7V1XPX[/asin]

I hope you enjoy the box set. I have collected the individual albums as they were issued - all wonderful stuff.

Traverso

Quote from: Biffo on October 13, 2018, 04:00:27 AM
I hope you enjoy the box set. I have collected the individual albums as they were issued - all wonderful stuff.

There is also a box with the Sixteen,I think I go for  the Choir of Christ Church.

Biffo

Quote from: Traverso on October 13, 2018, 04:11:32 AM
There is also a box with the Sixteen,I think I go for  the Choir of Christ Church.

I have also collected The Sixteen albums individually. Both series are wonderful but I also marginally prefer Christ Church.