Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Brian on October 07, 2018, 01:31:25 PMTodd - pretty sure you will dig that "Wilde Plays Chopin" but I know you will especially be intrigued/perhaps annoyed by Vol. 2, where, immediately after his wife's death, he recorded a Funeral March sonata that defies all reason and seems to be the kind of intensely personal performance which does not give a damn to follow any previous tradition/practice. Plus, one of my favorite Fantaisies in F minor, ever (with a final coda that is like Julian Gorus playing Liszt). (Unless that was on Vol. 3?)

The disc I have has the Third, but reading about the Second makes me want to hear that more than what I bought.  If a pianist has the chops to pull off unique/idiosyncratic/bizarre versions - like, say, Pogorelich - such recordings are almost always worth hearing.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: Todd on October 13, 2018, 06:16:12 AM

The disc I have has the Third, but reading about the Second makes me want to hear that more than what I bought.  If a pianist has the chops to pull off unique/idiosyncratic/bizarre versions - like, say, Pogorelich - such recordings are almost always worth hearing.
Pogo is exactly the man who comes to mind on Vol. 2. Or Michel Block But Louder.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on October 12, 2018, 04:21:43 PM
Ordered tonight
[asin]B07F7V1XPX[/asin]

I look forward to your report, sieur.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 13, 2018, 08:06:22 AM
I look forward to your report, sieur.

May be a bit, as the Pile is growing. I still have yet to reach the Hamerik set.
Speaking of growing the pile, ordered these last night.

Not that I need another M9. I probably already have 50 or more performances...

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

springrite

Mahler: Symphony No. 6 (pre-order) Currentzis

Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring, Currentzis

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74 'Pathétique', Currentzis

Shostakovich: Piano Concertos; Curretzis

Schubert: Piano Sonatas Nos. 1-21 (Badura-Skoda)

Paul Jacobs in Recital (ARBITER130)

Emil von Sauer: Piano Concerto No. 2 etc.

Von Sauer: Piano Sonatas and Other Works Vol. 2
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Que

jpc offered me free shipping on weekend orders, so I rounded up some items:

Q

DaveF

Quote from: Traverso on October 13, 2018, 04:11:32 AM
There is also a box with the Sixteen,I think I go for  the Choir of Christ Church.

No reason not to go for both, funds permitting since, although there are some overlaps, Christ Church have done a good job of covering new repertoire.  In numbers, they include 14 pieces not in The Sixteen's set (including 3 by Browne, sufficient reason in themselves to buy), with only 10 overlaps.  The Sixteen in their turn include 10 unique Eton pieces, plus some secular songs from another source (nice enough to have, I suppose, although I'd have preferred CD space taken up with more Eton numbers).
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Traverso

Quote from: DaveF on October 14, 2018, 12:47:16 PM
No reason not to go for both, funds permitting since, although there are some overlaps, Christ Church have done a good job of covering new repertoire.  In numbers, they include 14 pieces not in The Sixteen's set (including 3 by Browne, sufficient reason in themselves to buy), with only 10 overlaps.  The Sixteen in their turn include 10 unique Eton pieces, plus some secular songs from another source (nice enough to have, I suppose, although I'd have preferred CD space taken up with more Eton numbers).

Thank you for your response, I have a clear preference for the recordings with The Choir or Christ Cathedral, Oxford.
I love the English choral singing, but I want to put more emphasis on the composers of the low countries and especially Dufay and Desprez.
I have just ordered a CD from John Sheppard, I already have a recording with the Tallis Scholars and the four recordings that have been performed on Hyperion with the Sixteen.
The Sheppard recording  of the Tallis Scholars is one of their finest and I look forward to this one,the Tudor box has to wait a little longer. ;)

Traverso

JBS

Quote from: Traverso on October 14, 2018, 02:21:12 PM
And this one too.

Thumbs up to both.
In fact thumbs up to everything Stile Antico has done...

Traverso

Quote from: JBS on October 14, 2018, 05:09:35 PM
Thumbs up to both.
In fact thumbs up to everything Stile Antico has done...

Yes, it is a very  fine ensemble, we are very fortunate with  a bunch of top notch choirs  and their different way of performing  and sound

shirime

Brian

Jeffrey - I can always tell when you are raiding the ArkivMusic weekend specials. At least you didn't ball as hard as I did - I grabbed the weapons grade Szell box.

I remember liking some Hamerik but can't remember what - think it was either really early or really late stuff. Keep forgetting to use the composer threads here to write down notes on that kind of listening.

André

Quote from: Brian on October 15, 2018, 06:03:23 AM
Jeffrey - I can always tell when you are raiding the ArkivMusic weekend specials. At least you didn't ball as hard as I did - I grabbed the weapons grade Szell box.

I remember liking some Hamerik but can't remember what - think it was either really early or really late stuff. Keep forgetting to use the composer threads here to write down notes on that kind of listening.

A senior member from another forum who also has his own website to distill his pearls of wisdom enthused profusely on the music of Hamerik. Based on his recommendation I purchased the Dacapo box of the symphonies. I listened to it only once and can only recall it was pleasant but wholly unmemorable.

aligreto

Performances of works by modern Irish composers.

The new erato

Quote from: André on October 15, 2018, 07:38:03 AM
A senior member from another forum who also has his own website to distill his pearls of wisdom enthused profusely on the music of Hamerik. Based on his recommendation I purchased the Dacapo box of the symphonies. I listened to it only once and can only recall it was pleasant but wholly unmemorable.
Same here. I purchased the box but it never quite caught my interest. Will perhaps have another try.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on October 15, 2018, 06:03:23 AM

In fact three were simply off their New Releases list. Only the Rachmaninov was a Special.

I am not tempted by the Szell. I have his Beethoven cycle, some Haydn, some others in other sets, just enough to inoculate me against the megabox.
Quote from: André on October 15, 2018, 07:38:03 AM
Quote from: The new erato on October 15, 2018, 09:48:36 AM
Same here. I purchased the box but it never quite caught my interest. Will perhaps have another try.

The Hamerik lingered on my wishlist for a number of years, from soon after my originally joining GMG. Praise here  brought it to my attention. But I haven't the vaguest idea who liked it after all this time.

steve ridgway

Quote from: 2dogs on October 08, 2018, 07:00:55 AM
I was inspired by all the talk of cheap CDs and box sets to do a search on Amazon by lowest price first and ordered these very reasonably priced 10 CD and 2 CD sets after listening to the 30 second samples 8).

[asin]B00TQNMCDU[/asin]

[asin]B006660TH6[/asin]

The customer reviews were also very encouraging - the type that prompts many to dive for the off button when it comes on Radio 3 brings back faint childhood memories, and makes metal bands like Slayer, Behemoth and Belphagor sound like "Twinkle, twinkle, little star" is recommendation enough for someone that was very nearly disintegrated standing right in front of a speaker stack on Slayer's 10th anniversary tour >:D.

I've had a first listen to all of these now and it looks like I stumbled across just the right things :D. The 1970s recordings of Penderecki are as loud, awesome and mysterious as anyone could hope for and the 10 CD box is eye openingly full of all sorts of unusual sounds, a very varied collection of mostly 1960s recordings that I'm looking forward to hearing again 8).

milk

Well, I think this is just great. But, I can't say I have a lot to compare it to. The violin sonata particularly delights me with lots of nuances. Really the whole thing though. I don't know, I dislike romantic-ish playing and too much vibrato and so there are lots of versions of this I just can't stand. This one hits the spot. It's not too romantic, has wonderful sound, etc.   

Karl Henning

Quote from: milk on October 17, 2018, 04:03:00 AM

Well, I think this is just great. But, I can't say I have a lot to compare it to. The violin sonata particularly delights me with lots of nuances. Really the whole thing though. I don't know, I dislike romantic-ish playing and too much vibrato and so there are lots of versions of this I just can't stand. This one hits the spot. It's not too romantic, has wonderful sound, etc.   

I am sure that is wonderful.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot