Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 19, 2019, 11:40:26 AM
To each his own. :)

I probably should check out his Violin Sonata No 3 again.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Richard on February 20, 2019, 10:33:55 AMBut now that Naïve is back in business, you never know ;)

...for how long, that's the question.

Richard

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 20, 2019, 10:38:06 AM

...for how long, that's the question.

Sadly yes... that's the question with too many great labels.
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." — Berthold Auerbach

Richard

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 15, 2019, 07:18:31 AM
Just bought:

https://melody.su/en/catalog/classic/39836/

Hi John. I'm curious about here you accessed this release?

I've not been able to find any information outside of the Melodiya website.

Looks very tantalizing.
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." — Berthold Auerbach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Richard on February 20, 2019, 11:19:33 AM
Hi John. I'm curious about here you accessed this release?

I've not been able to find any information outside of the Melodiya website.

Looks very tantalizing.

I love Rachmaninov so this set was a must-buy. I'm not sure about who performs what, but I've known many Melodiya performances in the past and they haven't disappointed me. The only thing that I can really criticize from what I've heard is the audio quality, but I'm not expecting pristine sound from the Russians.

Que

Arrived today:

[asin]B017RKWAX0[/asin]
Q

North Star

Quote from: Que on February 21, 2019, 10:08:39 AM
Arrived today:
Q
So you weren't put off by the reviewer who says that the piano is overpowered by other instruments?  :laugh:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

André

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on February 21, 2019, 10:22:24 AM
So you weren't put off by the reviewer who says that the piano is overpowered by other instruments?  :laugh:

Hah!

Amazon is indeed a treasure trove of misplaced reviews, the above being a strong contender for THE stupidest ever.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on February 21, 2019, 10:32:24 AM
Hah!

Amazon is indeed a treasure trove of misplaced reviews, the above being a strong contender for THE stupidest ever.

Yesterday I was looking at the Szell box and saw a review from some idiot who gave it the lowest rating because he was dissatisfied that the price had gone down since be bought it.  ::)

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 21, 2019, 10:43:57 AM
Yesterday I was looking at the Szell box and saw a review from some idiot who gave it the lowest rating because he was dissatisfied that the price had gone down since be bought it.  ::)

My favorite type is giving a recording 1 star because the package arrived unsealed, or not in time, or it contained other item than originally ordered.  :laugh:

On the other hand, don't you just love when they give 5 stars to such "great songs"as, say, Schubert's Ninth or Tchaikovsky's VC?  ;D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

JBS

Ordered another tranche from Arkivmusic's Warner clearance last night
In descending order of price

These were all $7.99 or less:

I intend to order one more batch tonight or tomorrow

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JBS on February 21, 2019, 12:05:11 PM
Ordered another tranche from Arkivmusic's Warner clearance last night
In descending order of price

I like the Harnoncourt a lot, and that Bruckner set has all original versions, so it is very interesting aside from the quality of the performances themselves.

I checked that sale out, there were a bunch of great deals there, regrettably ones that I already have. One great one which I think was there was the Melo Ensemble Icon Box.

Maybe I should reconsider that Mackerras set. I'm a huge fan of his and don't have any of his early work.

Brian

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 21, 2019, 12:11:18 PM
One great one which I think was there was the Melo Ensemble Icon Box.
I'm considering that Melos Ensemble box. It's sitting in my cart waiting for me to click buy...

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on February 21, 2019, 12:15:40 PM
I'm considering that Melos Ensemble box. It's sitting in my cart waiting for me to click buy...

Better snag it before JBS hits it! :)

JBS

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 21, 2019, 12:11:18 PM
I like the Harnoncourt a lot, and that Bruckner set has all original versions, so it is very interesting aside from the quality of the performances themselves.

I checked that sale out, there were a bunch of great deals there, regrettably ones that I already have. One great one which I think was there was the Melo Ensemble Icon Box.

Maybe I should reconsider that Mackerras set. I'm a huge fan of his and don't have any of his early work.

It's $1.75 per CD.....

The Melos box is actually one of the most expensive things in the sale....all of $19.99! (same price as the Inbal Bruckner, btw).

There is an enormous amount  of stuff in that sale I already have.  But some I don't.  The Bliss box will actually be the first music I have from that composer.   I have put Menuhin's Beethoven symphony cycle in my cart, although I'm not sure I will actually get it.  ( 5 Individual CDs at $3.99 each).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JBS on February 21, 2019, 12:25:38 PM
It's $1.75 per CD.....

The Melos box is actually one of the most expensive things in the sale....all of $19.99! (same price as the Inbal Bruckner, btw).

There is an enormous amount  of stuff in that sale I already have.  But some I don't.  The Bliss box will actually be the first music I have from that composer.   I have put Menuhin's Beethoven symphony cycle in my cart, although I'm not sure I will actually get it.  ( 5 Individual CDs at $3.99 each).

I must have scrolled right past that Bliss box...

JBS

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 21, 2019, 12:19:54 PM
Better snag it before JBS hits it! :)

It's actually available from Amazon MP for  just a little bit more.
[asin]B004HF0PFE[/asin]
And I am pretty sure I have at least some of those recordings already (like the Nielsen) or will have shortly (meaning the Bliss pieces).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

That's one thing I noticed. Some of the sale items are genuine blow-out deals. Some are heavily discounted against a list price, although the item has a "street price" which is considerably lower on Amazon Marketplace or various other discount vendors.