Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on February 21, 2019, 12:15:40 PM
I'm considering that Melos Ensemble box. It's sitting in my cart waiting for me to click buy...
Terrific stuff. Varied repertoire, superb playing.

71 dB

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 22, 2019, 03:23:26 PM
I like the fretwork disc.

Well that's the one CDON.COM was unable to deliver because they suck. I got the other 2 Bach discs of my order. CDON is good with Blu-rays, but they sell CDs they don't have for some reason. This disc is probably OOP.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Que

Quote from: 71 dB on February 23, 2019, 02:11:20 AM
Well that's the one CDON.COM was unable to deliver because they suck. I got the other 2 Bach discs of my order. CDON is good with Blu-rays, but they sell CDs they don't have for some reason. This disc is probably OOP.

It is included - in its original packaging - in this set:

[asin]B013XHKH8G[/asin]
Q

king ubu

yesterday's haul from the evil place (a few go back to recommendations noted from this site a few weeks back, belated thanks):

[asin]B07MPK2J47[/asin]
[asin]B07KLPTXM4[/asin]
[asin]B07MWQCXX5[/asin]
[asin]B001EBBN9G[/asin]
[asin]B07MF42DN5[/asin]
[asin]B07HNTPD4D[/asin]
[asin]B07KLNHN1M[/asin]
[asin]B07KZG7CZG[/asin]
[asin]B004SRM6EY[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

San Antone

That Via Crucis is my favorite, among several I also enjoy a lot.  It has come out with a variety of covers.

ritter

Some Franco-Brazilian pianism:

[asin]B00I7V60OO[/asin]
Should arrive tomorrow.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on February 23, 2019, 06:19:04 AM
Some Franco-Brazilian pianism:

[asin]B00I7V60OO[/asin]
Should arrive tomorrow.

Cool, Rafael. 8) The only name on this recording that doesn't ring a bell is Séverac. I'm not familiar with his work. Worth pursuing?

ritter

I got the CD for Magda Tagliaferro, who was the dedicatee of Reynaldo Hahn's Piano Concerto (and recorded it under the composer's baton).

Déodat de Sévérac is a minor composer who wrote some agreeable piano music—mostly of the "bucolic" type, inspired by his home region, the Languedoc-Roussillon (it was all recorded by Aldo Ciccolini). There's also a couple of operas, and not much more AFAIK. I haven't listened to his music for decades, I must confess, and don't have much recollection of it.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 23, 2019, 06:31:54 AM
Déodat de Sévérac is a minor composer who wrote some agreeable piano music—mostly of the "bucolic" type, inspired by his home region, the Languedoc-Roussillon (it was all recorded by Aldo Ciccolini).

This is it, a twofer.

Wonderful music and performance.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Que

Quote from: king ubu on February 23, 2019, 03:21:29 AM
yesterday's haul from the evil place (a few go back to recommendations noted from this site a few weeks back, belated thanks):

A lot of goodies!  :) ..... from that evil place.....  >:D

Q

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on February 23, 2019, 06:31:54 AM
I got the CD for Magda Tagliaferro, who was the dedicatee of Reynaldo Hahn's Piano Concerto (and recorded it under the composer's baton).

Déodat de Sévérac is a minor composer who wrote some agreeable piano music—mostly of the "bucolic" type, inspired by his home region, the Languedoc-Roussillon (it was all recorded by Aldo Ciccolini). There's also a couple of operas, and not much more AFAIK. I haven't listened to his music for decades, I must confess, and don't have much recollection of it.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I'll just stick to Debussy, Ravel, and Fauré. ;) Of course, I love many other French composers, but these would be my 'Top 3'. I still haven't quite got on well with Hahn's music. For me, it's missing the magic ingredient that makes the afore mentioned composers so special to me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on February 23, 2019, 06:41:12 AM
This is it, a twofer.

Wonderful music and performance.

Thanks, Andrei. I've seen this set before, but was unsure about it. Rafael cleared things up for me in his earlier post. :)

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2019, 07:25:18 AM
Thanks, Andrei. I've seen this set before, but was unsure about it. Rafael cleared things up for me in his earlier post. :)

You're welcome,John, but I'm not sure whether you'd get it or not. I'd say get it, but don't ask me for a refund!   :D

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

71 dB

Quote from: Que on February 23, 2019, 02:15:08 AM
It is included - in its original packaging - in this set:

[asin]B013XHKH8G[/asin]
Q

Thanks for the hint! Interesting boxset
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

king ubu

Quote from: Que on February 23, 2019, 07:01:23 AM
A lot of goodies!  :) ..... from that evil place.....  >:D

Q

Yup, was lagging behind a bit ... and they were sold out of the Jodie Devos Offenbach disc on alpha, which I'll have to wait for now ... was also considering the new Schleiermacher on MGD, dedicated to Italian futurism. Maybe I'll take it with me next time ...

@San Antone Not sure I understand you wrt "Via Crucis" - this is a new recording/release, what do you mean with "various covers"? I've not heard one bar of sacred music by Liszt, so I am curious (same goes for the opera fragment, which seems to be pretty strong).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

Quote from: king ubu on February 23, 2019, 01:19:15 PM
Yup, was lagging behind a bit ... and they were sold out of the Jodie Devos Offenbach disc on alpha, which I'll have to wait for now ... was also considering the new Schleiermacher on MGD, dedicated to Italian futurism. Maybe I'll take it with me next time ...

@San Antone Not sure I understand you wrt "Via Crucis" - this is a new recording/release, what do you mean with "various covers"? I've not heard one bar of sacred music by Liszt, so I am curious (same goes for the opera fragment, which seems to be pretty strong).

It could be he's been the pianist in several different recordings:

That first one is the one I have.

North Star

Quote from: San Antone on February 23, 2019, 01:30:19 PM
It could be he's been the pianist in several different recordings:

That first one is the one I have.
Yes, they're all different. The white cover on Etcetera is a solo piano version, with Beths playing violin on the La notte.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

San Antone

Quote from: North Star on February 23, 2019, 01:54:05 PM
Yes, they're all different. The white cover on Etcetera is a solo piano version, with Beths playing violin on the La notte.

Thanks for clarifying it, I was confused.  I love the work and enjoy his approach so I will probably get them all.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: San Antone on February 23, 2019, 02:14:23 PM
Thanks for clarifying it, I was confused.  I love the work and enjoy his approach so I will probably get them all.
The guy has the Gunter Wand or Bernard Haitink Syndrome I suppose. How do you swing a deal like that?

king ubu

Thanks for the clarification!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!