:)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Undersea on May 10, 2019, 01:47:06 AM
Latest buys:

[asin]B014E89QBW[/asin]

[asin]B00002439N[/asin]

[asin]B008N66JJ4[/asin]

:)

Nice! Love both of these composers. I still need to get around to listening to that Dutilleux set. I have every set of his released so far including an older Erato one.

Introverted

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 10, 2019, 06:04:20 AM
Nice! Love both of these composers. I still need to get around to listening to that Dutilleux set. I have every set of his released so far including an older Erato one.

I've got the older Erato set too - It seems worthwhile to get the new one as it has different performances of the Symphonies (love those, especially #1) and it has more Piano Music than the previous. I particularly like the work Au Gres des ondes for Piano.
I don't think I ever thanked you for turning me onto Villa-Lobos (it was a few years ago now) so cheers for that!; I particularly like his String Quartets and Symphonies. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Undersea on May 10, 2019, 06:10:35 AM
I've got the older Erato set too - It seems worthwhile to get the new one as it has different performances of the Symphonies (love those, especially #1) and it has more Piano Music than the previous. I particularly like the work Au Gres des ondes for Piano.
I don't think I ever thanked you for turning me onto Villa-Lobos (it was a few years ago now) so cheers for that!; I particularly like his String Quartets and Symphonies. :)

Very nice, indeed. You're welcome. I don't think I can be held solely responsible for turning you onto Villa-Lobos as there's many fans of his music, but thank you for the acknowledgement nevertheless. I haven't really come around to V-L's symphonies yet. In terms of orchestral music, I still love all those Chôros and Bachianas Brasileiras, but also the symphonic poems/ballets like Gênesis, Erosão, and Uirapuru. I'm getting on with his SQs better these days, but one of my favorite chamber works from him is Quintet for flute, violin, viola, cello & harp, which can be found on this recording:

Other favorite chamber works are the Piano Trios, Violin Sonatas, and Cello Sonatas. I haven't explored his piano music in much depth, but I plan to revisit some of this set when I can find the time:

Introverted

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 10, 2019, 06:33:04 AM
Very nice, indeed. You're welcome. I don't think I can be held solely responsible for turning you onto Villa-Lobos as there's many fans of his music, but thank you for the acknowledgement nevertheless. I haven't really come around to V-L's symphonies yet. In terms of orchestral music, I still love all those Chôros and Bachianas Brasileiras, but also the symphonic poems/ballets like Gênesis, Erosão, and Uirapuru. I'm getting on with his SQs better these days, but one of my favorite chamber works from him is Quintet for flute, violin, viola, cello & harp, which can be found on this recording:

Yes the Quintet is an attractive work - I own that recording but just as a download at the moment.

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 10, 2019, 06:33:04 AM
Other favorite chamber works are the Piano Trios, Violin Sonatas, and Cello Sonatas. I haven't explored his piano music in much depth, but I plan to revisit some of this set when I can find the time:

Also like the Piano Trios - I haven't listened to the Violin and Cello Sonatas enough to comment on them. I am a little dissatisfied with my recording of the Violin Sonatas though (Maybe I'll try another one later on).

I have my eye on that set of the Piano Music - You are lucky to own it already. :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Undersea on May 10, 2019, 06:45:46 AM
Yes the Quintet is an attractive work - I own that recording but just as a download at the moment.

Also like the Piano Trios - I haven't listened to the Violin and Cello Sonatas enough to comment on them. I am a little dissatisfied with my recording of the Violin Sonatas though (Maybe I'll try another one later on).

I have my eye on that set of the Piano Music - You are lucky to own it already. :D

I've owned this set of piano music for years (probably bought it when it was first released). What recording of the Violin Sonatas do you own? If it's the one I own, the one on Brilliant Classics, then I'm not completely satisfied with it either and this mainly because the reverberant quality of the audio. Two other orchestral works I like a lot are The Discovery Of Brazil Suites Nos. 1-4 and Floresta do Amazonas (if you don't already own it, then get the BIS recording with Neschling).

Introverted

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 10, 2019, 06:57:57 AM
What recording of the Violin Sonatas do you own? If it's the one I own, the one on Brilliant Classics, then I'm not completely satisfied with it either and this mainly because the reverberant quality of the audio.

That's the one I have too and I am not completely happy with the SQ either (which is a pity as the works themselves seem pretty nice based on my acquaintance with them so far).

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 10, 2019, 06:57:57 AM
Two other orchestral works I like a lot are The Discovery Of Brazil Suites Nos. 1-4 and Floresta do Amazonas (if you don't already own it, then get the BIS recording with Neschling).

I've got a recording of Discovery of Brazil in my collection - It's from the box set conducted by HV-L himself. It's quite a big work from memory and I need to give it a listen again if time permits. I'll keep your suggestion in mind for future though.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

This

[asin]B071YTZBF3[/asin]

Not the entire album, just the track for Jeux, from classical.com, less than $3, and I don't have to wait for the postal service.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 10, 2019, 03:54:34 PM
This

[asin]B071YTZBF3[/asin]

Not the entire album, just the track for Jeux, from classical.com, less than $3, and I don't have to wait for the postal service.

Cool, Scarpia. One of my favorite performances of Jeux. Hopefully, Shui and the Singapore SO will help unlock this work for you.

Harry

Ordering today.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

More ordering

Harry

And one to go!

Harry

Ordered today 11-5-2019. For those who cannot see the images.

Konge Af Danmark - Europäische Musik am Hofe Christian IV
Hume: The Duke of Holstones Delight; The Duke of Holstones Almaine +Scheidt: Paduan; Alamanda +Simpson: Ricercar; Volte +Robinson: Spanish Pavan; A Toy; A Playne song +Bleyer: Courante +Pederson: Fader vor und i Himmerig; O che soave baccio +Lorenz: Vater unser im Himmelreich +Schop: Sine titulo +Vierdanck: Canzona +Maercker: Paduana +Borchgrevinck: Galliarda +Maynard: A Pavin +Gistou: Paduana; Galliard.  Alpha records.

Venezia Stravagantissima
Balli, Canzone & Madrigale (1550-1630) von Mainerio, Incerto, Guami, Vecchi, Picchi, Canale, Lappi, Zanetti, G. Gabrieli. Alpha records.

Karl Weigl
Symphonie Nr.6
+Old Vienna
BIS records.

Karl Weigl
Symphonie Nr.5 "Apocalypse"
+Phantastisches Intermezzo für Orchester op. 18
BIS records.

Anthoine Boesset
Je Meurs sans Mourir
Una musiqua; Depart que le devoir me fait precipiter; Ballet des fous & des estropies de la cervelle & Ballet des vaillans combattans; Recit des Syrenes; Recit d'Amphion & des Syrenes; Recit du Dieu des Songes; Recit de Mnemosyne; Recit du temps; Je meurs sans mourir; A la fin cette bergere; Entree des Laquais; Dove ne vai, crudele; Frescos ayres del prado; O Dieu +Briceno: La gran chacona +Constantin: La Pacifique +Anonymus: Nos esprits libres & contents.
Alpha records.

Istanpitta - Danses florentines du Trecento
Alpha records.

Rayon de Lune - Musique des Ommeyades
Rayon de Lune; Chaconne pour une gazelle; Les lames de ton regard; Vent de Grenade; Alcool; Dans l'obscurite; Improvisation, ottavino; Promesse; Tu regnes sur mon coeur; Imtprovisation, violon; Sommerlier; Patience perdue; Improvisation, zarb; Insomnie; Les jours et les nuits; Beaute tigree; Aube de nos matins; Je ne peux aimer que toi.
Alpha records.

Yedid Nefesh - Amant de mon ame
Lieder der sephardischen Juden: Yedidi Hashakhakhta; Nani, Nani; Ya Viene El Cativo; Durme Querido Hijico; Teromen Bat Rama; Ya Shadill El Khan - Tsour Maguinenou; Alta Alta Es La Luna; Yedid Nefesh; Moshe; Shaar, Petakh Doki; Shekhora Ani; Shalom Leven-Dodi; Veeda Ma.
Alpha records.

Love is strange - Werke für Lautenconsort
Werke von Johnson, Cosyn, Holborne, Parsons, Robinson, Bull, Dowland, Daniel, Coperario, Anonymus.
Alpha Records..

Guillaume de Machaut.
Messe Nostre Dame .
Opname van Peres uit 1995.
HM records.

Alberto Nepomuceno
Symphonie g-moll
+Brazilian Suite; O Garatuja.
Naxos records.

Karl Weigl
Symphonie Nr.1 E-Dur op.5
+Bilder und Geschichten-Suite op. 2.
Capriccio records.

Norbert Burgmüller
Orchester- & Kammermusik (Exklusiv für jpc)
Symphonie Nr. 2 D-Dur op. 11; Klavierkonzert fis-moll op. 1; Dionys-Ouvertüre für Orchester F-Dur op. 5; Duo Es-Dur op. 15 für Klarinette & Klavier; Streichquartette Nr. 1-4 (op. 4, 7, 9, 14); Klaviersonate f-moll op. 8 +Lieder: Das Schicksal wills op. 12 Nr. 4; Frühlingslied; Nach Walther von der Vogelweide op. 10 Nr. 1; Der Fischerknabe op. 5 Nr. 5; Lied op. 3 Nr. 3; Wie der Tag mir schleichet op. 12 Nr. 2; Omars Nachtlied op. 6 Nr. 2; Sehnsucht nach der Ruhe op. 6 Nr. 4; Harfenspieler I & II op. 3 Nr. 6 & op. 6 Nr. 1; Winterreise op. 3 Nr. 4; Einkehr op. 3 Nr. 1; Ständchen op. 10 Nr. 5.
Pourpre records.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Sergeant Rock

Arrived today: Havergal's Seventh (1948) and Sixteenth (1960) Symphonies.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Harry, my copies of Venezia and Istanpitta just arrived the other day. The samples of Istanpitta sounded great.

Harry

Quote from: Brian on May 11, 2019, 07:00:17 PM
Harry, my copies of Venezia and Istanpitta just arrived the other day. The samples of Istanpitta sounded great.

I agree, the Istanpitta disc is a marvel, and the Venezia impressed me also. Very much looking forward to those discs, which will arrive next week I guess. :)

JBS

Quote from: "Harry" on May 11, 2019, 02:11:12 AM
More ordering

I have the Yedid Nefesh CD. Be warned that no texts are included.
The best group in that repetoire I have come across is this one
http://roza-enflorese.be/fr/discographie
If you don't of them, I encourage you to check them out.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

San Antone

Quote from: JBS on May 12, 2019, 05:32:06 AM
I have the Yedid Nefesh CD. Be warned that no texts are included.
The best group in that repetoire I have come across is this one
http://roza-enflorese.be/fr/discographie
If you don't of them, I encourage you to check them out.

That Yedid Nefesh recording is stupendous, IMO - but I will check out the other group you mention.  I could be wrong, but the YN disc appears to be of North African, e.g. Moroccan, style and the other is Ladino/Shephardi descent.