Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 18, 2019, 06:32:15 AM
Bought the following:

And pre-ordered this recording:

I've only listened to Nelsons' 7th so far, and it is indeed excellent!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on May 19, 2019, 04:05:21 PM
I've only listened to Nelsons' 7th so far, and it is indeed excellent!

Great to hear. Whenever I'm in a Bruckner mood, I'll definitely be listening to these recordings.

Harry

A fantastic deal at JPC de. Pan records at 5.99€ a piece, many worthwhile and unique, so I ordered a few!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Part 2.

Harry

Part 3.

Harry

For those that cannot see the images :)

Domenico Mazzocchi (1592-1665): Madrigali & Dialoghi

Il Giardino Del Mondo - Giovanni Paolo Cima & Zei...

Matteis: Ayres for the Violin - "False consonance...
Nicola Matteis (1650-1714): Ayres for the Violin - "False consonances of Melancholy"

Cambini: Streichquintette Nr.1,4,23
Giuseppe Maria Cambini (1746-1811): Streichquintette Nr.1,4,23

Pallavicino: Madrigale Su Testi Del Guarini
Benedetto Pallavicino (1551-1601): Madrigale Su Testi Del Guarini

Paolo Cherici - Lute Music from Petrucci's Collec...
Paolo Cherici - Lute Music from Petrucci's Collections

Höffler: Suiten Nr.1-6 für Viola da gamba & Bc "P...
Konrad Höffler (1647-1705): Suiten Nr.1-6 für Viola da gamba & Bc "Primitiae Chelicae"

Giordani: Lamentazioni & Misere
Giuseppe Giordani (1751-1798): Lamentazioni & Misere

della Ciaja: Cembalosonaten op.4 Nr.1-6
Azzolino Bernardino della Ciaja (1671-1755): Cembalosonaten op.4 Nr.1-6

Frottole-Lieder An Den Höfen Der Ital.Renaissance
Frottole-Lieder An Den Höfen Der Ital.Renaissance
Bestellnummer: 1156635

Mossi: Sonaten für Violine & Bc op.1 Nr.1,2,5,9,1...
Giovanni Mossi (1680-1742): Sonaten für Violine & Bc op.1 Nr.1,2,5,9,10,12

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Being such a fan of The Nash Ensemble's other RVW recordings on Hyperion, this one was self-recommending.

Also bought:

I really love these types of recordings. It is said that the viola was important to RVW and he even played the instrument himself. I can certainly hear the instrument's timbre and the sheer resonance it produces appealing to him. In fact, Flos campi was a work that first popped into my head when I read the title of this recording, Viola Fantasia as this is what that work is.

aligreto

Bruckner: Symphony No. 8 [Thielemann]

TheGSMoeller

Added another Matthew Passion to my collection. I tend to like the smaller forces when it comes to performances of the Passions or Mass in b minor.

The new erato

This is a particular favorite of mine.

Introverted

Recent buys:

[asin]B00M5150HU[/asin]

[asin]B07MCW81MK[/asin]

JBS

Quote from: Introverted on May 23, 2019, 02:22:43 PM
Recent buys:

[asin]B07MCW81MK[/asin]

The set every GMGer should have (unless of course you have the predecessor red box edition with liner notes and libretto for Grand Macabre).

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Introverted

Quote from: JBS on May 23, 2019, 06:24:05 PM
The set every GMGer should have (unless of course you have the predecessor red box edition with liner notes and libretto for Grand Macabre).

If you have the Sony box and the Ligeti Project box from Warner then you have all the Ligeti you will ever need IMO. :)

Maestro267

The Villa-Lobos posted above is a fine box. Nice to have the bonus of Momoprecoce and the Guitar Concerto on there too.

Thread duty:

Reger: A Ballet Suite; Concerto in the Old Style; Beethoven Variations; Hiller Variations; Mozart Variations; Four Tone Poems after Böcklin; Sinfonietta; To Hope; Hymn of Love; Violin Concerto; Piano Concerto; Symphonic Prologue to a Tragedy; A Romantic Suite; String Trio, Op. 77b; Clarinet Quintet; 7 Chorale Fantasias; Sacred Songs

Eleven discs in total.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 24, 2019, 05:30:11 AM
The Villa-Lobos posted above is a fine box. Nice to have the bonus of Momoprecoce and the Guitar Concerto on there too.

Thread duty:

Reger: A Ballet Suite; Concerto in the Old Style; Beethoven Variations; Hiller Variations; Mozart Variations; Four Tone Poems after Böcklin; Sinfonietta; To Hope; Hymn of Love; Violin Concerto; Piano Concerto; Symphonic Prologue to a Tragedy; A Romantic Suite; String Trio, Op. 77b; Clarinet Quintet; 7 Chorale Fantasias; Sacred Songs

Eleven discs in total.

I hope you enjoy Reger better than I did. I just couldn't come to terms with his music. When I heard the criticism of Reger as a 'dry academic' composer I rolled my eyes, but this is before I got to know a lot of his music better. Now, I agree with this criticism and I'd also add that he doesn't have a distinctive enough voice for me to continue listening with any regularity. His music didn't pull on any my heartstrings and if a composer can't do this, then I have no reason to listen.

JBS

Quote from: Introverted on May 24, 2019, 03:32:19 AM
If you have the Sony box and the Ligeti Project box from Warner then you have all the Ligeti you will ever need IMO. :)

IIRC, the two sets between them comprise almost everything Ligeti wrote with the exception of some late piano etudes.

JBS

TD
[asin]B07MPK2J47[/asin]
Off Amazon MP, after Arkivmusic let my order for this cancel out as a supposed back order.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2019, 05:35:45 AM
I hope you enjoy Reger better than I did. I just couldn't come to terms with his music. When I heard the criticism of Reger as a 'dry academic' composer I rolled my eyes, but this is before I got to know a lot of his music better. Now, I agree with this criticism and I'd also add that he doesn't have a distinctive enough voice for me to continue listening with any regularity. His music didn't pull on any my heartstrings and if a composer can't do this, then I have no reason to listen.

I would not characterize Reger as dry or academic. He had an impulse the embellish that he couldn't control. His orchestral music gave me the impression of too much going on to let the essential idea come through. I've had more pleasure from his chamber music, including string quartets and unaccompanied cello music.

JBS

The title of the Biondi CD refers to the particular violin used in that recording.

Introverted

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 24, 2019, 05:30:11 AM

Thanks!. :)