Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

This arrived from jpc:

The Tomkins was recommended by Mandryka:)

Q

Que

Quote from: JBS on May 24, 2019, 05:30:46 PM

The title of the Biondi CD refers to the particular violin used in that recording.

Definitely looks like my kind of thing.....  :)

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 24, 2019, 10:35:23 PM

Q

I'll be very interested to know whether the accents of the singers is obvious even to someone whose first language isn't English (I'm assuming that English isn't your first language -- I'm probably wrong about that, what you write is immaculate!)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on May 24, 2019, 11:42:58 PM
I'll be very interested to know whether the accents of the singers is obvious even to someone whose first language isn't English (I'm assuming that English isn't your first language -- I'm probably wrong about that, what you write is immaculate!)

I do try, but Dutch is my mother tongue....  :)

I'm curious about the accents....

Q

Traverso

Quote from: Que on May 24, 2019, 10:35:23 PM
This arrived from jpc:

Q

And rightly so,ideal singing by Red Byrd "Thou art my King O God ",really beautiful. ;)

Todd

I picked up a few more Amazon Add-ons.  One of the discs I thought I was buying was: 

And that was what arrived.  When I opened the case, the disc inside was:

A mix up I can live with.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 24, 2019, 10:30:43 AM
I would not characterize Reger as dry or academic. He had an impulse the embellish that he couldn't control. His orchestral music gave me the impression of too much going on to let the essential idea come through. I've had more pleasure from his chamber music, including string quartets and unaccompanied cello music.

I found his chamber music dreadfully dull and lifeless, but to each their own.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2019, 05:42:03 AM

I have three sets of his string quartets, which reflects the fact that I chronically feel that I am not quite getting it, but that there is something worthwhile to get. I've noticed given up yet.

PerfectWagnerite

Didn't you like buy a million Max Reger cds in one boatload?

Anyway bought this:

Somehow I accidentally sold my copy a few yrs ago when I needed money. Now is like an old friend coming back, hands down the best complete DSCH cycle along with Kondrashin.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 25, 2019, 03:18:45 PM

Anyway bought this:

Somehow I accidentally sold my copy a few yrs ago when I needed money. Now is like an old friend coming back, hands down the best complete DSCH cycle along with Kondrashin.

I must confess I never liked that set. My overall favorite has been Haitink on Decca. Even the 7th Symphony on it is my favorite, surprisingly above the more celebrated Bernstein/CSO.

SymphonicAddict

I was kind of expecting that impression from you, whether early or late  ;)
His clarinet sonatas and violin sonatas with piano accompaniment are his chamber works I definitely don't like.

Mirror Image

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 25, 2019, 03:18:45 PM

I did, but I'm still holding out for hope that I someday 'get it'. I actually own some Stockhausen, too, but I don't see myself making mends with him any time soon. :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 25, 2019, 06:34:50 PM
I must confess I never liked that set. My overall favorite has been Haitink on Decca. Even the 7th Symphony on it is my favorite, surprisingly above the more celebrated Bernstein/CSO.

Two of the best 7ths, IMHO, are from Rozhdestvensky and Svetlanov.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 25, 2019, 06:41:21 PM
I was kind of expecting that impression from you, whether early or late  ;)
His clarinet sonatas and violin sonatas with piano accompaniment are his chamber works I definitely don't like.

Perhaps I should give his String Sextet a listen sometime.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 25, 2019, 06:34:50 PM
I like the Concertgebouw recordings on the Haitink set, the LPO, not so much. Barshai is a rather unsual set, the WDR Orchestral makes a big fat sound often at odds with some of the more gaunt nature of DSCH's music. I can see how some wouldn't like it.

André

For years I had to make do with a copy of the disc. I finally found it at a reasonable price  :).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: André on May 26, 2019, 08:01:32 AM

For years I had to make do with a copy of the disc. I finally found it at a reasonable price  :).

This forum must be one of the few places where the pleasure got in your statement is truly appreciated!  A long-searched-for-disc-at-a-reasonable-price..... happiness indeed!  :)

aligreto

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 26, 2019, 08:28:29 AM
This forum must be one of the few places where the pleasure got in your statement is truly appreciated!  A long-searched-for-disc-at-a-reasonable-price..... happiness indeed!  :)

Amen to that.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2019, 07:08:53 PM
Two of the best 7ths, IMHO, are from Rozhdestvensky and Svetlanov.

I should try those performances. The 7th is sometimes underrated, but I do enjoy it, mostly when the epic finale is brought in sheer power.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 26, 2019, 02:56:57 PM
I should try those performances. The 7th is sometimes underrated, but I do enjoy it, mostly when the epic finale is brought in sheer power.

For me, the third movement, Largo, is the centerpiece of the Leningrad symphony. But, to be honest, I haven't had the desire to listen to Shostakovich in a long-time and when I do it's only for short duration as he's just too intense for me and I'm a listener that's more concerned with harmony and color, which is why Debussy, Ravel, Enescu, etc. are among my favorite composers.