Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 15, 2019, 04:13:21 PM
The L. Nielsen is a beautiful piece. Do you have the 3rd Symphony? It's arguably the best of them.

I don't - yet. The 2nd sells for 2.50€ at JPC. If I like it I'll go for the 3rd (5.40€)  ;).

JBS

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 15, 2019, 04:56:44 PM
The Jongen is nice, albeit might be a bit bombastic for your tastes.

I listened to it earlier this evening. Tastefully bombastic, I think. At any rate, it did not endear me to Jongen, but neither did it turn me off.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: JBS on August 15, 2019, 05:07:27 PM
I listened to it earlier this evening. Tastefully bombastic, I think. At any rate, it did not endear me to Jongen, but neither did it turn me off.

Jongen is better in chamber music, methinks. I haven't heard any of his piano works yet.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: André on August 15, 2019, 05:04:10 PM
I don't - yet. The 2nd sells for 2.50€ at JPC. If I like it I'll go for the 3rd (5.40€)  ;).

I hope you do it so  ;)

kyjo

Quote from: JBS on August 15, 2019, 05:07:27 PM

Perhaps I have poor taste, but I must confess to unconditionally loving Jongen's Symphonie Concertante. It's hard to find anything more sonically magnificent than that finale! It's not all bombast, though - the rather mysterious slow movement has some depth.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Quote from: André on August 15, 2019, 03:19:57 PM

I do own these two CDs and I must honestly say that I had difficulty with this music. I will, therefore, look forward to reading your thoughts when you eventually get to hear these works. I must revisit them at some point as enough time has now passed for, perhaps, a new investigation.

André

Quote from: aligreto on August 16, 2019, 08:27:13 AM
I do own these two CDs and I must honestly say that I had difficulty with this music. I will, therefore, look forward to reading your thoughts when you eventually get to hear these works. I must revisit them at some point as enough time has now passed for, perhaps, a new investigation.

I already have these particular discs, as cdr copies a friend made for me many years ago. I'm buying them as 'real' CDs because I love the music they contain - and the price is right!  :D

aligreto

Quote from: André on August 16, 2019, 08:32:45 AM
I already have these particular discs, as cdr copies a friend made for me many years ago. I'm buying them as 'real' CDs because I love the music they contain - and the price is right!  :D

Cheers André. As I said it is time for me, perhaps, to revisit these works.

André

Quote from: aligreto on August 16, 2019, 08:55:41 AM
Cheers André. As I said it is time for me, perhaps, to revisit these works.

Probably !

My first disc of symphonies by Koppel had nos 6 and 7. Then I bought no 5 and a friend made me copies of the rest. I love them all, and more (he wrote fine concertos too).

aligreto

Quote from: André on August 16, 2019, 08:59:29 AM
Probably !

My first disc of symphonies by Koppel had nos 6 and 7. Then I bought no 5 and a friend made me copies of the rest. I love them all, and more (he wrote fine concertos too).

I am not familiar at all with the concertos. Do you have any recommendations here?

André

The cello concerto is a good place to start. There are 2 recordings of it I know of. This one has other Koppel concertos on it:

There's also a BIS recording coupled with the fine Norholm cello concerto. There's also the 3rd piano concerto on the Dacapo disc that features the 5th symphony. I recommend them all.

Herman should not be confused with his sons Thomas and Anders, who also wrote plenty of concertos. I discussed recently the charming Los Angeles Street Concerto by Thomas Koppel.

Christo

Quote from: André on August 16, 2019, 08:59:29 AM
Probably !

+1  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

aligreto

Quote from: André on August 16, 2019, 01:29:05 PM
The cello concerto is a good place to start. There are 2 recordings of it I know of. This one has other Koppel concertos on it:

There's also a BIS recording coupled with the fine Norholm cello concerto. There's also the 3rd piano concerto on the Dacapo disc that features the 5th symphony. I recommend them all.

Herman should not be confused with his sons Thomas and Anders, who also wrote plenty of concertos. I discussed recently the charming Los Angeles Street Concerto by Thomas Koppel.

Thank you for all of that André; much appreciated.

jwinter

I don't really need more Haydn symphonies... want is another matter entirely...  8)

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

pjme

Extremely beautiful singing. Kreek's Psalms are a real discovery for me.

aligreto

steve ridgway

Quote from: aligreto on August 20, 2019, 12:45:45 PM
Roger Doyle: Heresy

Sound interesting, in what way is it "electronic" - keyboards or more abstract sound effects?

aligreto

Quote from: 2dogs on August 20, 2019, 09:34:22 PM

Sound interesting, in what way is it "electronic" - keyboards or more abstract sound effects?

Yes, I was intrigued when I first came across the listing in Amazon. I have not heard it yet but I will report on the Listening Thread asap.

André

Clarinet and/or viola and piano works.