Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Arrived yesterday. Amazing value:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

j winter

A few of the cheapies I picked up the last time I was at the Princeton Record Exchange... about 12 bucks for the lot, all new music for me, other than the opening piece on the last one...

And just in case anybody thinks Gurn has hacked my account  ;D :
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

aligreto

Quote from: j winter on September 22, 2019, 09:44:36 AM

I have those ones and I think that you should definitely enjoy them.

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on September 22, 2019, 10:47:08 AM
I have those ones and I think that you should definitely enjoy them.

The Ordonez disc is very good as well.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

André

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 22, 2019, 08:21:50 AM
Arrived yesterday. Amazing value:

Don't tell me you didn't own each of these 15 discs already.  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on September 22, 2019, 10:20:53 PM
Don't tell me you didn't own each of these 15 discs already.  :D

Haha. I have the VW symphonies of course (x2  ::)) and the Tippet and Holst CD but none of the Elgar or the Britten and Delius disc (which I played yesterday with much pleasure) nor 'The Last Night of the Proms' which is not really my cup of tea, although it includes Walton's 'Belshazzar's Feast' which I look forward to hearing. Also I like the fact that the individual CDs are in their original covers and that full notes are included, which is often not the case with these bargain boxes.
;)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

I failed to resist some new releases that are right up my alley but unavailable on my streaming services.

JBS

Last night off Amazon MP
[asin]B07KM16V35[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: Judith on September 16, 2019, 08:50:36 AM
Browsing through a CD Store, bought a lovely Mahlers Symphony no 5  by Daniel Harding and Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra. A real gem🎼🎼

Well done!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Que

André

Glad to hear that ! Excerpts sounded delicious. :)

Madiel

So my other Amazon US purchases arrived today.

This turned out to be "manufactured and distributed by ArkivMusic under licence".

https://www.amazon.com/Moonchilds-Dream-Concertos-Thomas-Koppel/dp/B000003FOV/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=moonchild%27s+dream&qid=1569410211&s=music&sr=1-2

In other words, it's a fucking CD-R.

Let me say immediately that the quality of this ArkivCD is in some respects streets above the other piece of crap that Amazon sold me which has already been discussed. But I have steam coming out of my ears right now. There are defects in the sound in the last third of the album.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

Quote from: Madiel on September 25, 2019, 03:22:11 AM
So my other Amazon US purchases arrived today.

This turned out to be "manufactured and distributed by ArkivMusic under licence".

https://www.amazon.com/Moonchilds-Dream-Concertos-Thomas-Koppel/dp/B000003FOV/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=moonchild%27s+dream&qid=1569410211&s=music&sr=1-2

In other words, it's a fucking CD-R.

Let me say immediately that the quality of this ArkivCD is streets above the other piece of crap that Amazon sold me which has already been discussed. But I have steam coming out of my ears right now.

Does it concern an oop recording? I think it is a service to the client to get a recording you could not get otherwise.I have a few myself and I was also  annoyed, not only was it a CD-R but also the libretto had been reduced to a piece of paper for just the cover.
It was a Sony CD and even the jewel case was made of thinner plastic.
I managed to get a good copy by paying attention to the Sony logo.
Many times sellers cannot give you any information about specific details.

This is the good one

This is the cheap one

Madiel

Quote from: Traverso on September 25, 2019, 04:34:45 AM
Does it concern an oop recording? I think it is a service to the client to get a recording you could not get otherwise.
Yes, it is an old out of print recording, but these days there is rarely such a thing as "a recording you could not get otherwise" because so many recordings can either be bought as a download or heard via streaming.

When I get better sound quality from streaming or downloads than I do from a CD-R, what exactly is the point of buying a CD-R? It is technology that really should be dead and buried now. In fact I suspect this CD-R was made quite a few years ago, but the stock is still there.

I can at least give credit to ArkivMusic for making a decent booklet and the fact that they seem to be nice and clear on their own website about when they make CD-Rs (and Presto is similarly clear), but I cannot give any credit to Amazon for selling a disc manufactured by their own competitor and not in any way acknowledging the fact.

In any case the disc is defective in sound quality, in exactly the same way that CDs I used to burn on my computer were often defective unless I burned them very slowly and carefully at the best possible settings (and even then there might be problems). I haven't burned a CD for years, precisely because now I will get much better results listening to the music via my computer, my iPhone or the wonderful player I bought that has both CD and streaming capabilities. The CD-R format has a large risk of degrading the music, so if something is a digital file just sell me the digital file.

In the case of this album, it wasn't actually hard to find okay-priced copies on eBay, one of which had pictures of the back cover I could check. So I've now bought a used copy, actually for a little less than what I had paid Amazon, which is what I would have happily done in the first place if I'd known what Amazon was offering.

Quote from: Traverso on September 25, 2019, 04:34:45 AM
Many times sellers cannot give you any information about specific details.

But many times they can. I've actually been very pleased with what has arrived from eBay sellers so far. Whereas Amazon, one of the biggest companies in the world, can't give a proper description, often mixes up different recordings of the same work as "editions" of the one recording, panicked over Australian tax law last year and stopped all shipments (before restarting only some of them), and is basically doing everything it can to make me avoid them.

I now have a list of several places I will look before Amazon. The main reason I go there now is to link pictures. I will not use the ASIN links, ever since they stopped shipping to Australia.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Cato

Quote from: ritter on January 24, 2016, 10:09:42 AM

Maderna conducting Webern's Five pieces for Orchestra alone is worth the set's price, but there are many other wonderful performances here.

There is a marvelous recording of a live radio broadcast of Bruno Maderna conducting Schoenberg's Jakobsleiter:

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-plante-511223801/schoenberg-jakobsleiter-die-1972-hilversum-maderna
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

NYM:

Moonfish

Couldn't resist another WTC... (Borovsky)

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Todd

Impulse buy.  $18 for a still fresh cycle before more new ones come around.  Lisiecki's will be next.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya