Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 12, 2019, 06:27:39 PM
If you're ever serious about getting rid of some, message me, I'll pay for postage AND say thank you :D

I will, although 2 years ago I have send a large box to Oregon, and it never arrived. The person I send it to, was an GMGer.  He  is not active anymore and never reacted. There was a track and trace on this parcel, and it arrived safely in the states, even to the place where it was send to, but was lost from thereon. I mailed about this but no reaction from DHL to this day. A second box with 80 CD'S was lost also in chicago.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on October 13, 2019, 03:29:20 AM
I thought Harry culled his collection down to 5,000 CDs a few years back...

What I meant was that a core was created at home of about 5000 CD'S, which is by now 9000. The rest was stored, and in waves I go through it and divided them amongst those interested. A large part which came out of a testament from a very good German friend, I gave away to divers libraries with music departments. Still , 5 big boxes with music from Medieval to late Renaissance. Every box contains about 500 CD'S or more. I still have to go through them. Ohhh and many others boxes too if time permits.

Todd

Pre-ordered the last volume of Jonathan Biss' cycle, which will make it 110 cycles in my collection when I receive it.

Also did some budget closeout stuff.  I've waited a while to buy something from Ms Baldaszti (the Amazon Germany MP sellers wouldn't ship to the US), and I've now gone from 0 to 3 recordings of the Rossini in about a month. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on October 13, 2019, 08:29:33 AM
What's this?

One of three discs Ingeborg Baldaszti recorded for the Austrian arm of RCA.  Of course, it's the other two discs I really want, but I'll take what I can get for six bucks.

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on October 13, 2019, 09:51:45 AM

One of three discs Ingeborg Baldaszti recorded for the Austrian arm of RCA.  Of course, it's the other two discs I really want, but I'll take what I can get for six bucks.

Thanks.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

It's been a gluttonous day.  Two more downloads.  I found the Trio Owon release at Acoustic Sounds and the Hengelbrock at Presto.  Now I need to get the new releases from both brothers Lim.

vers la flamme

I just ordered this:

... for $14, shipping included. Not a bad price considering the content. I already have Klemperer's Das Lied and Resurrection, but both are old CDs, the latter being in really bad shape, and I think I will appreciate the remasters. It will be great to hear the old maestro's interpretations of the 4th, 9th, and the infamous 7th. The only other Mahler box set that I have is Leonard Bernstein's NYPO cycle on Sony. My collection of Mahler recordings grows and grows...

JBS

Ordered last night off Amazon US and Amazon MP
[asin]B071WTC1CP[/asin]
[asin]B07WFJBJGB[/asin]
[asin]B075FLXZ3Z[/asin]
[asin]B07TMRSB9D[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

And from Arkivmusic as well

QuoteTHE AZRIELI MUSIC PRIZES were established in 2014 by the Azrieli Foundation to offer opportunities for the creation, performance and celebration of high quality new Jewish music. New Jewish Music, Vol. 2 – Azrieli Music Prizes features the world premiere recordings of works by composer Kelly-Marie Murphy, winner of the 2018 Azrieli Commission, and composer Avner Dorman, winner of the 2018 Azrieli Prize. In addition to those, the album also features Seven Tableaux from the Song of Songs composed in 1992 by Srul Irving Glick, arranged for soprano, piano and string orchestra by François Vallières. These wonderful works are performed by the Orchestre classique de Montréal under the direction of Boris Brott, with soloists Sharon Azrieli (soprano), Lara St. John (violin) and the duo Couloir, which consists of Ariel Barnes (violoncello) and Heidi Krutzen (harp).

QuoteIn Tel Aviv, emigrated Jewish architects from Germany such as Arieh Sharon adapted the principles of Bauhaus design to the extremes of the climate. White and Light colors and small recessed windows served as protection against the heat and glare of the desert. Generous shaded balconies were incorporated into the buildings so that residents could catch the breeze from the sea. Hundreds of these buildings came to define the character of the growing metropolis in the 1930's and 1940s. In 2003, Tel Aviv "White City" became an UNESCO World Heritage Site as the world's largest still existing collection of Bauhaus style buildings. It is this place that inspired mandolin player Aon Sariel and pianist Michael Tsalka to record this album with music from J.S. Bach and Yehezkel Braun.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Moonfish

Just listening to her as Susanna in Mozart's Le nozze di Figaro and now I want to hear more of her voice.

Miah Persson: Recital

[asin] B00U0S0N22[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Daverz

From Amazon Marketplace:

A live Tennstedt recording with the Chicago SO.

vandermolen

My last two purchases. Very happy with both:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Quote from: JBS on October 13, 2019, 05:26:45 PM
Ordered last night off Amazon US and Amazon MP
[asin]B075FLXZ3Z[/asin]

Will be curious to hear your impressions on that one!  :)

Q

Que

Quote from: JBS on October 13, 2019, 05:37:18 PM
And from Arkivmusic as well

That definitely looks like a winner...  8)

Q

Harry

1 CD added from the BIS sale, and a Chandos disc, recommended by vandermolen.

Mirror Image

I have taken a rather long hiatus from buying any classical music (esp. since it recently occurred to me how much I already own), but I had to buy this:

I already own almost the entire discography of Bluebeard's Castle, so why not add another one? ;) I'm not enthralled by every recording of this opera I own as I do believe several of them miss the mark, but this one with Gardner at the helm looks rather good. We'll see how it stacks up against my favorites.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 14, 2019, 07:49:44 AM
I have taken a rather long hiatus from buying any classical music (esp. since it recently occurred to me how much I already own), but I had to buy this:

I already own almost the entire discography of Bluebeard's Castle, so why not add another one? ;) I'm not enthralled by every recording of this opera I own as I do believe several of them miss the mark, but this one with Gardner at the helm looks rather good. We'll see how it stacks up against my favorites.

Interestingly I took a long hiatus as well, but I'm cured now. Right?
You make me want to revisit Bluebeard - I think you actually moved me in that direction a few years ago.  Fascinating work in its dark tones and story.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on October 14, 2019, 07:56:57 AM
Interestingly I took a long hiatus as well, but I'm cured now. Right?
You make me want to revisit Bluebeard - I think you actually moved me in that direction a few years ago.  Fascinating work in its dark tones and story.

No, unfortunately I don't believe anyone who post on this thread are 'cured', but I will say with a degree of optimism that I don't buy as much as I used to unless it's something I truly want or collect. Bluebeard's Castle is one of my favorite pieces of music from anyone. It made a huge impression on me when I first heard it (probably 10-11 years ago now). The first performance I heard was the classic Berry/Ludwig/Kertesz recording on Decca and I've been hooked ever since. There's so much symbolism in this work and so much history surrounding it that it's quite easy for me to give myself completely to it's sound-world.

Moonfish

A pianist I would like to explore ...

[asin]B07F7TYLPX[/asin]
Anna Lappé