Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

There are parts of the world now where buying vinyl is easier than buying CDs.

Give it another 25-30 years, though, and I bet you CDs will be cool retro again.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Que on October 24, 2019, 09:57:17 AM
I must admit that, despite the alcohol, the realisation that some day it will be my collection in those crates, was a rather sobering thought...

Although by that time there might be nobody left interested....
Hardly anyone I know now understands why I bother with those plastic discs already....  ::)

Q
I just reunited the last part of my collection with the bulk of it (just yesterday it arrived with me) and it took 10 shoeboxes (hush puppy and new balance are particularly good for storage/transport of cds because they have generally taller boxes, matching the height of the cd) plus 5-6 bigger boxes. Had I streamed it, I wouldn't have all that clutter. Now, I enjoy that 'clutter', but my back is telling me to do more streaming/downloading in the future!! lol!!! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Harry

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 25, 2019, 04:06:49 AM
I just reunited the last part of my collection with the bulk of it (just yesterday it arrived with me) and it took 10 shoeboxes (hush puppy and new balance are particularly good for storage/transport of cds because they have generally taller boxes, matching the height of the cd) plus 5-6 bigger boxes. Had I streamed it, I wouldn't have all that clutter. Now, I enjoy that 'clutter', but my back is telling me to do more streaming/downloading in the future!! lol!!! :)

For me is streaming and or downloading is a step to far. Yes it saves space, but I do not find it more convenient. I have a few friends that are into downloading and streaming, an hear them complain about a few issues, that keep me away from it.
Besides I like  having a CD in my hands, discovering it, enjoy the steps in handling it. I am to far advanced in years to step over to this new medium, especially in the light of having so many CD'S. To spare my back, I simply hire people to carry them for me! :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

mc ukrneal

Quote from: "Harry" on October 25, 2019, 04:17:01 AM
For me is streaming and or downloading is a step to far. Yes it saves space, but I do not find it more convenient. I have a few friends that are into downloading and streaming, an hear them complain about a few issues, that keep me away from it.
Besides I like  having a CD in my hands, discovering it, enjoy the steps in handling it. I am to far advanced in years to step over to this new medium, especially in the light of having so many CD'S. To spare my back, I simply hire people to carry them for me! :laugh:
Well I agree!!! I'm sure once my back is better, I will conveniently forget about it. :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

It's been more than three years since I've gone full digital and I have neither regrets nor complaints. To be able to carry almost my whole music library with me any time, anywhere is pure bliss.  8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

steve ridgway

Quote from: Florestan on October 25, 2019, 09:45:42 AM
It's been more than three years since I've gone full digital and I have neither regrets nor complaints. To be able to carry almost my whole music library with me any time, anywhere is pure bliss.  8)

It's wonderful to look at one of those devices and realise that 8). I still like to have the CDs, so I can copy them in different formats for the various players but also as today when playing through a big docking tower. The old high capacity iPod malfunctioned but fortunately the tower also takes CDs.

André

Beethoven 3, 6, 7, 9, violin cto. Bruckner 4, 5, 7, 9. Brahms 1, 3, Variations, Tragic ov.

André

vers la flamme

Quote from: André on October 26, 2019, 11:23:51 AM

I always see this CD at a local used shop and I'm very intrigued, mostly for the chance to hear Boulez conducting Beethoven...  :o ...but also because I am getting into Ormandy's conducting a bit as of late, and because I do not have a Choral Fantasy in my library. Do tell how it is.

André

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 26, 2019, 01:40:38 PM
I always see this CD at a local used shop and I'm very intrigued, mostly for the chance to hear Boulez conducting Beethoven...  :o ...but also because I am getting into Ormandy's conducting a bit as of late, and because I do not have a Choral Fantasy in my library. Do tell how it is.

Yes, I will. I chose this release instead of the single disc with the ninth for two reasons: according to an Amazon reviewer Sony edited out the scherzo repeats on the single disc, and the sound is not as good as that on this release. That's for the symphony. The other reason is the works on the second disc, some of them very rare: the two cantatas in particular. And of course Crespin in Ah, perfido! Is a nice bonus. Also, one never has too many Choral Fantasias !  :)

vers la flamme

Quote from: André on October 26, 2019, 01:55:56 PM
Sony edited out the scherzo repeats on the single disc, and the sound is not as good as that on this release.

??? That is sacrilege...

Moonfish

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 26, 2019, 01:40:38 PM

I actually searched out that particular cd some years ago because I wanted to hear the cantata.  :P 
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

HIPster

A few recent mp purchases:

[asin]B002QJ51UM[/asin]

[asin]B0000030OL[/asin]

[asin]B000027F3J[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: André on October 26, 2019, 11:23:51 AM

I know nothing about his organ music. I'll be interested in your thoughts about this work.

André

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 26, 2019, 02:10:04 PM
??? That is sacrilege...

Well, you end up with a 10 minutes scherzo, which was the norm until the 90s. But why edit them out if conductor and orchestra took the bother to play them?  ::)

Mind you, Ormandy doesn't take the first movement repeat in the 5th, but takes that of the 8th, he takes repeats in the 7th's scherzo, and the 9th's as well, so it may be a case of 'how do we feel today?'

Like I said, Ormandy didn't have a system or an agenda...

André

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 26, 2019, 05:50:46 PM
I know nothing about his organ music. I'll be interested in your thoughts about this work.

Will do, but it might be a little while. Messis is one of Langgaard's very last works, written after his last symphony. It's a solid 2 hours of religiously inclined organ music, so extra listening time and a dose of fortitude will be needed.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: André on October 26, 2019, 06:03:07 PM
Will do, but it might be a little while. Messis is one of Langgaard's very last works, written after his last symphony. It's a solid 2 hours of religiously inclined organ music, so extra listening time and a dose of fortitude will be needed.

Of course, take your time.  ;)

Harry

Quote from: HIPster on October 26, 2019, 02:49:12 PM
A few recent mp purchases:

[asin]B000027F3J[/asin]

The BIS you bought recently, has been in my collection since it was released, and that was a long time ago. I remember this disc as very special.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

steve ridgway

This looks very peaceful and soothing and I like that subtitle "non-grating music"  0:).

[asin]B000025460[/asin]