Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Just bought:

A usual set that collects all of Bernstein's music for solo piano and the chamber works. Hat-tip to San Antone for bringing this set to my attention.

vers la flamme

Quote from: j winter on January 15, 2020, 10:51:27 AM
Laying in some additional Prokofiev for the winter, all for about the price of a decent lunch...

I need a Prokofiev piano concertos set. I've been looking at that Naxos set, also Vladimir Ashkenazy/André Previn/LSO on Decca, but this Krainev set looks interesting too, especially for the price. I need to check that out.

Recent purchases; too many to list. None today, at least.

Ratliff

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 15, 2020, 04:51:39 PM
I need a Prokofiev piano concertos set. I've been looking at that Naxos set, also Vladimir Ashkenazy/André Previn/LSO on Decca, but this Krainev set looks interesting too, especially for the price. I need to check that out.

Ashkenazy/Previn is also excellent. I also enjoy Ciccolini's set. Everything I've heard with Antinon Wit has been outstanding. I'm mortified I can't name a bad Prokofiev PC cycle. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ratliff on January 15, 2020, 05:55:53 PM
Ashkenazy/Previn is also excellent. I also enjoy Ciccolini's set. Everything I've heard with Antinon Wit has been outstanding. I'm mortified I can't name a bad Prokofiev PC cycle. :)

I can: Bavouzet/Tortelier on Chandos. When I listened to their performance of the 2nd PC, I thought "Where's the fire?" As dull as dishwater came to mind almost immediately.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Ratliff on January 15, 2020, 05:55:53 PM
Now that you mention it, I can't either. In addition to what you mentioned, the Toradze/Gergiev is pretty good. So is the Chandos on Jarvi (which I borrowed recently from a friend) with the two pianists there.

And then there are several I've not heard, but seem to have very good reputations: Beroff/Masur, Browning/Leinsdorf, and Bavouzet/Noseda. Not sure who else made a cycle.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 15, 2020, 03:25:01 PM
Just bought:

A usual set that collects all of Bernstein's music for solo piano and the chamber works. Hat-tip to San Antone for bringing this set to my attention.

Added onto this existing order:

After being stunned by the performance Steuart Bedford and the BBC Singers of early Christ's Nativity, I had to find another recording of it. This Layton recording on Hyperion is apparently the world premiere performance, which is very neat to have.

steve ridgway

A bit more Birtwistle (Melencolia I / Ritual Fragment / Meridian, Night's Black Bird / The Shadow of Night / The Cry of Anubis) and Scelsi (The Works for Viola, Complete Flute Music, Works for Strings).

[asin]B000027J0Q[/asin]

[asin]B004W7GPLU[/asin]

[asin]B004TB6GF4[/asin]

[asin]B017VSS99C[/asin]

[asin]B000059PVB[/asin]

Papy Oli

Received those as birthday gifts today :

[asin]B000R3BRAW[/asin]
[asin]B019CK9ZPO[/asin]
[asin]B000027QWX[/asin]
[asin]B0012XDFPG[/asin]

Happy Older Bunny  ;D
Olivier

steve ridgway

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 16, 2020, 04:35:06 AM

[asin]B000R3BRAW[/asin]
[asin]B019CK9ZPO[/asin]
[asin]B000027QWX[/asin]
[asin]B0012XDFPG[/asin]

Happy Older Bunny  ;D

Cool, Happy Birthday to You 8).

Papy Oli

Cheers. My close ones have been advised chosen well  0:)

A cheap used copy ordered today to complete the Bax cycle :

Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 16, 2020, 04:35:06 AM

[asin]B000R3BRAW[/asin]
[asin]B019CK9ZPO[/asin]
[asin]B000027QWX[/asin]
[asin]B0012XDFPG[/asin]

Happy Older Bunny  ;D

Happy Birthday, Olivier!

Papy Oli

Olivier

ritter

Manuel Rosenthal has over the years given me many hours of pleasure as a conductor (above all, his Ravel, but also his championing of lesser-known operas like Hahn's Le marchand de Venise, Milhaud's Christophe Colomb, even Sauget's Les caprices de Marianne), so I hought I'd explore his compositional output as well (snippets were quite promising). So, I went for these:

[asin]B00E7NITMM[/asin]

[asin]B000027LAB[/asin]
Interestingly, I'll be getting one work, Les petits métiers, in two versions (solo piano and orchestral).

Mirror Image

More Britten purchases:

I own an earlier issue of this Previn recording, but this one is a Japanese import and I think it's been newly remastered.

Harry

Another composer that I did not know, but liked the samples enormously. Ordered. Free shipping at JPC
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

André

0.82$, new at Amazon. Couldn't resist !

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 16, 2020, 10:16:04 AM

0.82$, new at Amazon. Couldn't resist !

A fine deal! Love this repertoire, too. Let me know what you think of this recording whenever you receive it and get a chance to listen to it.

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2020, 06:31:14 PM
A fine deal! Love this repertoire, too. Let me know what you think of this recording whenever you receive it and get a chance to listen to it.

Should be 2-4 weeks  :)

Mirror Image