Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: j winter on January 23, 2020, 10:42:19 AM
Nice!  And here I thought folks would think I was a dork for recommending a graphic novel to ease them into the Ring... :)

FYI, if you enjoy it Russell has actually done adaptations of quite a few operas over the years, for various companies... I haven't read the others, but based on the quality of this one I would bet they're worth checking out if the operas are of interest...

If it lives up to expectations - and why wouldn't it? - this 'Ring Companion' will be an excellent substitute to a real staging - I've seen two of them (Boulez and Levine) on video and they didn't make me appreciate it more, rather the opposite actually. I find The Ring stands to lose, not gain, from inadequate production values. And let's be honest, the physical appearance of singers of wagnerian girth is a major distraction in a story about valiant heroes, fair warrior-maidens, gods and goddesses.

I was able to sample the first 10 pages or so of Rheingold and I liked what I saw. Russell's drawings are fetching, and he seems to catch the flow of the storyline very nicely.

Thanks for the tip, jwinter  ;)

j winter

This is far too easy, but what the hey...

Heavenly Valhalla...

Russell:

Levine: 

Our star-crossed lovers, Sieglinde and Siegmund

Russell:

Levine:
(gotta love the Elvis hair, though...)

8)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Harry

Finally out....ordered.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Bernstein 'On the Waterfront' etc. (RLPO Lindberg):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 24, 2020, 12:42:06 AM
Bernstein 'On the Waterfront' etc. (RLPO Lindberg):

Cool, Jeffrey. I own this recording as well. You'll have to let me know what you think about it as I don't think I'll be able to get around to it any time soon.

Traverso

Never thought purchasing a new set of Shostakovich symphonies,Haitink and Barshai  seemed enough for me but I thought this set is a nice addition.

aligreto

Recently arrived but not yet listened to....

Daverz

Quote from: aligreto on January 25, 2020, 04:42:19 AM
Recently arrived but not yet listened to....

Which reminds me that I have a backlog of Zelenka sacred music to catch up on.

TD:

[asin] B001L8K16S[/asin]

FLAC downloads from the Hyperion website.  My 4th Magnard symphony cycle  ::)

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

aligreto

Quote from: Daverz on January 25, 2020, 02:51:39 PM

Which reminds me that I have a backlog of Zelenka sacred music to catch up on.

And music that is very worthwhile catching up on too.

Papy Oli

Sarge, 12 years ago ( ;D), on page 1 of the Delius thread, said :

QuoteMackerras conducts Delius in a way that might convince skeptics of Delius's music: no dainty, lazy summer's walk in the country, scrupulously avoiding the cowpats, here. The music is full-blooded, passionate, with almost overwhelming climaxes.

that's me...so i'll try it.

[asin]B00000IX80[/asin]

Olivier

Mirror Image

vers la flamme

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 27, 2020, 12:22:57 PM
Sarge, 12 years ago ( ;D), on page 1 of the Delius thread, said :

that's me...so i'll try it.

[asin]B00000IX80[/asin]

Honestly, I thought Mackerras' Delius was a bit on the dainty side. Not a lot of full-blooded passion to my ears. I have that 2CD and after my first listen through I was convinced I hated Delius. It took until hearing, oddly, Marriner conducting Delius for me to find a real interest in his music. But I confess that I owe Mackerras another chance.

Maestro267

Simpson: Symphony No. 9
Bournemouth SO/Handley

I've heard great things about this symphony, and I've absolutely fallen in love with Nos. 1-5 & 8. Currently listening to the informative talk by the composer that appears after the Symphony. At nearly 50 minutes, I think this is the longest one-movement work I own. I feel like I'm gradually building up towards some of the lengthier one-movement symphonies by the likes of Pettersson, who is another composer I very much want to explore.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I always ask myself do I need another performance of Belshazzar's Feast and the answer always, unsurprisingly, is 'yes' why yes I do. :) Plus, this kind of work is right up Solti's alley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 28, 2020, 02:38:12 AM
Honestly, I thought Mackerras' Delius was a bit on the dainty side. Not a lot of full-blooded passion to my ears. I have that 2CD and after my first listen through I was convinced I hated Delius. It took until hearing, oddly, Marriner conducting Delius for me to find a real interest in his music. But I confess that I owe Mackerras another chance.

Hi VLF,
No worries, I'll see how I get on. At £1.98, it is definitely not the costliest recommendation I got from Sarge in my time here  :laugh:
Olivier

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 28, 2020, 07:38:18 AM
Just bought:

I always ask myself do I need another performance of Belshazzar's Feast and the answer always, unsurprisingly, is 'yes' why yes I do. :) Plus, this kind of work is right up Solti's alley.

Generally speaking you would imagine Solti would be good for all Walton - yet he never recorded any of it except this Belshazzar/Te Deum.  And oddly although its good  enough somehow its not great.  For all the Belshazzars that litter my collection I still rate the classic Previn/LSO/Shirley-Quirk as my favourite.  If ever there was a conductor who "got" Walton......!

vers la flamme

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 28, 2020, 07:41:51 AM
Hi VLF,
No worries, I'll see how I get on. At £1.98, it is definitely not the costliest recommendation I got from Sarge in my time here  :laugh:
Let us know what you think! I'm new to English music in general and may not know exactly what to listen for yet, in Delius' music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 28, 2020, 02:13:47 PM
Generally speaking you would imagine Solti would be good for all Walton - yet he never recorded any of it except this Belshazzar/Te Deum.  And oddly although its good  enough somehow its not great.  For all the Belshazzars that litter my collection I still rate the classic Previn/LSO/Shirley-Quirk as my favourite.  If ever there was a conductor who "got" Walton......!

Previn is quite good in Walton, but not the final word (thankfully). I wish Colin Davis would have recorded more Walton as I like his Belshazzar's Feast and Symphony No. 1 recording from LSO Live a lot. One of my favorite Walton discs actually. I should revisit that Previn/LSO recording, though --- it's been years since I've listened to it.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I've been collecting these Chailly recordings individually and, now, the only ones I'm missing are the 1st (coupled with an orchestration of Berg's Piano Sonata I believe) and the 10th (Cooke completion).