Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Just pre-ordered this recording (due out Feb. 28th):

This recording ought to be good, especially after Faust's exemplary performance of the Berg Violin Concerto.

Christo

Quote from: André on February 15, 2020, 04:13:40 PM

A beautiful work. I've had it as a download for some years, but that's not good enough. Make room for the real thing!

It is. Can you believe it is also, after all these years, still, the only recording?  :o

Quote from: André on February 15, 2020, 04:30:36 PM
You didn't get the joke, did you?   :-\

You think so?  :(  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

March release:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

steve ridgway

After a couple of CDs lost in transit and another not actually in stock I gave up on them and completed my target of filling my iPod with a few downloads different to what I'd originally ordered. Everything in my collection from my 10 favourite composers fit, apart from Ligeti's "Poème Symphonique for 100 Metronomes" - i.e. all the actual music :P.

Scelsi Collection Vol 1 - Chamber Works. This has a good variety of works and completes the 3 Riti compositions along with the wrongly titled one on the "Rito" CD.

[asin]B000TLA97O[/asin]

Scelsi Edition Vol 7 - The Works for Double Bass. Some great sounds on here, better for listening all the way through than Vol 9 for viola.

[asin]B000WC38QY[/asin]

Schnittke's Symphony No. 1 on Chandos which I really want to hear having already got 2-8.

[asin]B000000AY5[/asin]

In converting these to 320kbps MP3 for the iPod I also put them on a USB stick so can leave that plugged into the car and switch from the SD card full of non-classical music when I'm in it by myself 8).

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Daverz

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 19, 2020, 06:02:00 AM
After a couple of CDs lost in transit and another not actually in stock I gave up on them

Who are we talking about?  I missed the contest.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Daverz on February 19, 2020, 06:48:57 PM
Who are we talking about?  I missed the contest.

I just had to get a couple of refunds for CDs lost in the post which I feel bad about as the sellers may wonder if I've ripped them off :(.

Daverz

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 19, 2020, 08:40:44 PM
I just had to get a couple of refunds for CDs lost in the post which I feel bad about as the sellers may wonder if I've ripped them off :(.

The last one that USPS lost was Humperdinck's Hansel & Gretel conducted by Eichhorn.  It actuallly had tracking, but tracking showed it ending up in some USPS facility in Los Angeles and then....nothing.  I suppose it got mutilated or crushed.  The seller refunded, but, still, gotta mourn a bit for that poor Humperdinck set.

Papy Oli

More RVW... :-[

[asin]B000000AIV[/asin]
[asin]B00000I6I9[/asin]

And Wilfried Mellers' book "VW and the vision of Albion"

Olivier

JBS

over the weekend, now en route to me

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Daverz

Quote from: JBS on February 20, 2020, 10:35:59 AM
over the weekend, now en route to me

The Sibelius is one of my favorite sets.  It's been repackaged many times before.

The Beethoven is also one of my favorite cycles.  Looking forward to hearing these new remasters.

I'm still not quite sure whether Antonini's Haydn is a success.

T. D.

Cross-posted from another thread.

Christo

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 20, 2020, 08:29:51 AM
More RVW... :-[

[asin]B000000AIV[/asin]

Thomson's unusual opening of this terrific symphony, slow, threatening, slowly gaining in power, ever more tremendous, still my favourite of them all, certainly aided by an archetypical Chandos recording sound. In one word: thrilling.  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Papy Oli

Quote from: Christo on February 20, 2020, 12:03:23 PM
Thomson's unusual opening of this terrific symphony, slow, threatening, slowly gaining in power, ever more tremendous, still my favourite of them all, certainly aided by an archetypical Chandos recording sound. In one word: thrilling.  ;)

The copy on YT was very enticing already, can't wait to hear it properly on the hifi and headphones. I have his 9th already on the way. I blame your advocacy of this recording for this purchase and Sarge for the Bakels. It's not all on Jeffrey  :laugh: ... that RVW thread is lethal... :laugh:
Olivier

André

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on February 21, 2020, 05:46:48 AM

Nice! I've seen this recording before, but never bought it because of all the other recordings I own of both these SQs. Will be interested to know your opinion of it once you've heard it. The Schoenberg Quartet are a fantastic group.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on February 21, 2020, 05:46:48 AM

The Braunfels CD is great. The 2nd movement from the Piano Concerto is a real beauty. The Enna CD is good for the Fairy Tale Suite but not too much for the Symphony.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

I look forward to hear all of these. I often buy because the price is very low and I want to explore even if it's only in a year or two from now (even longer with some big boxes). But this batch will be listened to posthaste. The Braunfels in particular - I adore this composer. Enna is a recent discovery. I just listened to his short opera The Little Match Girl and was smitten by the beauty of the themes and the orchestration.

j winter

While I have lots of Schubert's piano music, I have very little for four hands.  So I think this will nicely fill that gap, and hopefully provide some interesting new (to me) music to explore... more Schubert is always a good thing IMO  :)

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice