Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Continuing my Italian exploration with Giorgio Federico Ghedini, a composer I know precious little of:

[asin]B01KT4OZ5M[/asin]
[asin]B001LKLKMU[/asin]
[asin]B000050KHI[/asin]
The last disc has the added attraction of including a work by Francesco Balilla Pratella, one if the leading figures of Italian futurism (even if what I've heard if this Trio, op. 28 is not in the least futuristic). Apparently, a recording Pratella's opera L'aviatore Dro, from a performance led by the great and enterprising Gianandrea Gavazzeni, exists, but copyright problems seem to have impeded its release (by Bongiovanni).

Papy Oli

It's getting worse, Doc....  ???

[asin]B00011MK74[/asin]
Olivier

vers la flamme

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 22, 2020, 03:44:07 AM

[asin]B00011MK74[/asin]

I have this, but in the Sony/RCA "white box", you know, one of the dirt cheap ones. No liner notes, cheap packaging. But I got it for fittingly cheap, and it's the music that counts, right? I bought it off the strength of the amazing Pastoral symphony represented here, which I love and consider one of the great recordings of anything. But I remained unimpressed with the rest of it, until someone here (I believe it was Irons) asked that I should reconsider Previn's performance of the 8th symphony, which I did last week, and was blown away. So I expect this is a cycle that will reveal itself to me one piece at a time. I did not expect that VW's symphonies should be so arcane and rarefied, but in my experience that is what they are. It's not like listening through to the Beethoven symphonies. You have to spend a lot of time with one to even know what it's really about.

Anyway... enjoy!

I am trying to refrain from purchases, especially internet purchases, after about 2 months of far too many. So no TD for me.

Papy Oli

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 22, 2020, 03:57:34 AM
I have this, but in the Sony/RCA "white box", you know, one of the dirt cheap ones. No liner notes, cheap packaging. But I got it for fittingly cheap, and it's the music that counts, right? I bought it off the strength of the amazing Pastoral symphony represented here, which I love and consider one of the great recordings of anything. But I remained unimpressed with the rest of it, until someone here (I believe it was Irons) asked that I should reconsider Previn's performance of the 8th symphony, which I did last week, and was blown away. So I expect this is a cycle that will reveal itself to me one piece at a time. I did not expect that VW's symphonies should be so arcane and rarefied, but in my experience that is what they are. It's not like listening through to the Beethoven symphonies. You have to spend a lot of time with one to even know what it's really about.

Anyway... enjoy!

I am trying to refrain from purchases, especially internet purchases, after about 2 months of far too many. So no TD for me.

I bought a cheap used copy of the Previn 3-4 two weeks ago and liked it so much I went for the full cycle, used again, at £11 (instead of £20-25 for the white box with Previn's face on). I have finally opened up to Ralph's symphonies and that's a blast !
Olivier

vers la flamme

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 22, 2020, 04:03:25 AM
I bought a cheap used copy of the Previn 3-4 two weeks ago and liked it so much I went for the full cycle, used again, at £11 (instead of £20-25 for the white box with Previn's face on). I have finally opened up to Ralph's symphonies and that's a blast !

This was my story too. I bought the Previn/LSO 3/4 and liked it so much I got the whole cycle, only to find I didn't like any of it near as much as the 3rd on the disc I had originally bought. Anyway this is beginning to change. Hopefully in a year's time I will like the whole cycle  ;)

André

Gloriana, the DVD. The film omits some scenes, but I feel this opera needs to be seen as well as heard. It will give me a good idea of what Britten had in mind and, considering it sells for a song I'm willing to give it a go. Then I need to supplement it with a complete cd version. 

JBS

[asin]B00011MK74[/asin]

Excellent!

I have the exact set pictured. The concertos make this an extra special set. (To be clear, not all of RVW's concertos and other nonsymphonic works are included.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on February 22, 2020, 06:51:51 AM

Gloriana, the DVD. The film omits some scenes, but I feel this opera needs to be seen as well as heard. It will give me a good idea of what Britten had in mind and, considering it sells for a song I'm willing to give it a go. Then I need to supplement it with a complete cd version.

I listened to this opera awhile back and found it immensely enjoyable. One of Britten's finest operas, IMHO. So far, I have found Gloriana, Death in Venice, and The Turn of the Screw to be my favorites. I also really enjoyed Noye's Fludde.

Mirror Image

I ran across this set for a good price so I jumped on it:

I have to say that even though I don't think Stravinsky was the greatest conductor, he still had a certain magic in his own music that he was able to pull from the orchestras and ensembles he conducted that no other conductor has been quite able to achieve, IMHO. These are gorgeous performances. I already own the remastered 50+ disc set released a few years ago, but one of the main reasons I bought this one was that I love the sound of these older Sony recordings and this set is pretty much extinct, although there are several still floating around out there.

Maestro267

Glazunov: Raymonda (complete ballet)
Moscow SO/Anissimov

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

[asin]B00011MK74[/asin]

Really fantastic, Olivier. I think the newer set has better audio as I believe the remaster actually helped in this case, but it's one of the great RVW sets for sure and one I continue to come back to whenever I'm in the mood for these works. My other favorite RVW cycle is Thomson on Chandos.

Brian

I only "get" a few of the RVW symphonies - 2, 3, 5 - but Previn is very satisfying in all of them. Slatkin is too. Guess RCA liked Vaughan Williams a lot. I need to try the First sometime but am not sure who is acclaimed in that work.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Brian on February 24, 2020, 09:12:32 AM
I only "get" a few of the RVW symphonies - 2, 3, 5 - but Previn is very satisfying in all of them. Slatkin is too. Guess RCA liked Vaughan Williams a lot. I need to try the First sometime but am not sure who is acclaimed in that work.

Hi Brian,
The ones that kept recurring through peoples lists throughout the thread for the Sea Symphony were mostly Haitink, Thomson & Boult (EMI)...Also mentions of Spano and Slatkin.
Olivier

The new erato

Quote from: Brian on February 24, 2020, 09:12:32 AM
4 and 6 are my firm favorites and desert island stuff. I thought you were a trustworthy chap.

Mirror Image

Loaded up on some Feldman:

T. D.

I ordered this a couple of days ago:

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on February 24, 2020, 03:27:03 PM
I ordered this a couple of days ago:

I like Feldman's music but only in small doses. He has a pleasing aesthetic and there are several of his works which I'd rank as favorites.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2020, 03:49:19 PM
I like Feldman's music but only in small doses. He has a pleasing aesthetic and there are several of his works which I'd rank as favorites.

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2020, 03:14:27 PM
Loaded up on some Feldman:

Is this your idea of a small dose?  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 24, 2020, 04:15:25 PM
Is this your idea of a small dose?  ;D

:D Yes, indeed. These were some recordings that I had forgotten about or that caught my ears. Looking forward to hearing these recordings. Do you own much Feldman? I ended up with a good bit over the years (and I keep adding to the collection).