Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 27, 2020, 06:03:05 AM

Just ordered this after a friend on another board sent me the whole performance on youtube. I listened to about 20 minutes and was hooked right away.

What other board? Talk Classical? Anyway, that's an okay recording. I'm not crazy about the brightness of the audio quality. I hope the recording I bought on the Hat Art label is more to my liking.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2020, 06:28:07 AM
What other board? Talk Classical? Anyway, that's an okay recording. I'm not crazy about the brightness of the audio quality. I hope the recording I bought on the Hat Art label is more to my liking.

I'm not sure of the rules here, but I know some boards have a rule against referring to the competition by name. But since you've said it already, yes, it's TC :laugh: I liked the sound I was hearing. Nice and resonant. I have the California EAR Unit performing Why Patterns? and I liked it, so I expect this one will be good too.

André

I might get something entirely different, as there is a discrepancy btw the photo and product description  :P.
The Missa seems to have been a Gielen specialty. There are at least 2 other versions available on disc. I have one (on Intercord) which is one of my favourites. I hope Amazon doesn't screw up  :laugh:

I have that classic set already, but this is a remastering and according to Amazon buyers' comments the sound has substantially been improved.

aligreto

Saeverud: Symphonies Nos. 2 & 4 [Ruud]

ritter

"He who hesitates is lost" (Mandryka).... ;)

From jpc:

A set including all of Berio's Chemins is no brainier for me, and even more so given the glowing reviews for this.

And added this to my order (until today, I didn't even know the Bastille Musique label existed  :-[:

I'm not familiar with Claude Vivier's music (although I had read about him), but the description of his opera (of sorts) Kopernikus made it look fascinating. And snippets of Paramirabo on YouTube sounded very appealing, so ordered this from amazon.es (where it could be had for a pittance):

[asin]B07ZLK5NK3[/asin]

André

Let us know what you make of the Vivier disc, Rafael. I gave up on his music a long time ago, but I don't exclude another try.

André

Quote from: aligreto on February 27, 2020, 08:00:03 AM
Saeverud: Symphonies Nos. 2 & 4 [Ruud]

The whole Saeverud series on BIS is worth getting. No towering masterpieces, but good, well-crafted, distinctive music.

Papy Oli

Some old books on ebay :

Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: André on February 27, 2020, 11:00:20 AM

The whole Saeverud series on BIS is worth getting. No towering masterpieces, but good, well-crafted, distinctive music.

Cheers André, I am looking forward to hearing the two symphonies in particular.

The new erato

I ordered these two from presto to complete the very impressive series (I have vols 2 & 3)

[asin]B06Y2LHJWN[/asin]
[asin]B07ZW9C4H6[/asin]

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello I purchased good stuff from La Grande Chapelle: Alonso Lobo Missa Beata Gentrix & Missa Prudentes and also on label Lauda : Victoria (tomasz louis da Victoria) La fiesta Pascua en Piazza Navona. Two great recording If Albert Recasens is involved heck do I need to say more and of Course the Cd Music for Milan Cathedral, super!

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Carlo Gesualdo

Wow what a suprise  I had today, I order  Gesualdo madrigals liber 1-5 that 7 xLP'S .

I also Order a 1960 Cappella da Cordina of Alejandro Planchar, central of the middle age but it feature ars subtilior Solage & Senleches among others, greeting.

Brian

Been thinking about this for a while, and the Amazon US price just suddenly dropped from $99 to $78 to I decided the time was ripe.

Hat tip to Scarpia for keeping this on my radar for a few months.

Mookalafalas

Like Brian, I got a big Box of Erato from a French Conductor. Got it from Amazon UK, but for some reason the price went up 50% after I bought it. Just lucky? The outer box is crappy, and was already sort of cracked and broken when it was delivered. It is so stuffed with CDs you can't riffle through to find something. That's not a complaint 8)  Seems to be a lot of gems here. I'm really going to enjoy this...
[asin]B07VBH5BMB[/asin]
It's all good...

Brian

The Robert Casadesus box (Sony) is also so loaded with CDs you can't flip through. They could have budgeted one more half centimeter!

André

Mirror Image

Just bought:

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 02, 2020, 09:11:15 PM
Just bought:

I have the Atlantida CD which I recall enjoying. Must listen to it again.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).