Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

And of course 4 would not do, that will only chase away half the sorrow.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Some more...

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 03, 2020, 04:22:06 AM

I had ordered this 2 CD set before the great man died but, due to current global circumstances, it has only just arrived.

The 'Christmas Symphony' is my favourite work by Penderecki.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on April 03, 2020, 04:38:12 AM
What else is there to do in these terrible times than to order comfort, which I did.
The Magnard and Cuirlionis CDs look very interesting.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on April 03, 2020, 05:07:10 AM
The Magnard and Cuirlionis CDs look very interesting.

Yes they are Jeffrey, especially the Ciurlionis, that one is a real gem, and absolute recommendable. A review pressing exemplare was send to me and arrived a few days ago, and I found it stunning works. And the Bruch symphonies are in these performances very special too. I already have many sets, but I think this one goes straight to the top of my list.

André

Harry, I love your thinking (comfort purchases) and subscribe to it 100%. Since I don't drink, something else is needed !

I sampled the Druid's summons and René Pape outspooks the competition!

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 03, 2020, 05:04:27 AM

The 'Christmas Symphony' is my favourite work by Penderecki.

Cheers, Jeffrey. It will be a first listen for me.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 03, 2020, 05:59:44 AM
Cheers, Jeffrey. It will be a first listen for me.
I had the old LP and found it much more approachable (for me) than works like the St Luke's Passion.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 03, 2020, 05:47:52 AM
Harry, I love your thinking (comfort purchases) and subscribe to it 100%. Since I don't drink, something else is needed !

I sampled the Druid's summons and René Pape outspooks the competition!

I'm very interested in the Weinberg André but I have the Toccata recording of the same Symphony and need to get to grips with that one first.  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on April 03, 2020, 05:17:41 AM
Yes they are Jeffrey, especially the Ciurlionis, that one is a real gem, and absolute recommendable. A review pressing exemplare was send to me and arrived a few days ago, and I found it stunning works. And the Bruch symphonies are in these performances very special too. I already have many sets, but I think this one goes straight to the top of my list.
I have several recordings of the Ciurlionis Harry on Marco Polo, Northern Flowers and another one ( ::)). I think that 'The Sea' is a wonderful work. The Lithuanian wife of a friend of mine was so impressed that I'd heard of him and admired his music that she presented me with a large hardback book of his paintings and drawings which was very kind of her (actually his art work is also of interest). Ondine CDs are invariably impressive and well recorded so I have to say that it is a very tempting release. Magnard's 'Chant Funebre' is another very fine work. So I think that you made some good choices there.  :)

ritter

Hindemith's The Long Christmas Dinner (of interest to me as much for the libretto by Thornton Wilder as for the music):

[asin]B00ZUNDKC2[/asin]
This seems to be the only recording in the original English.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: "Harry" on April 03, 2020, 04:40:44 AM
Some more...
Looking forward to reading how you find the Polish baroque one in particular.   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 03, 2020, 01:18:41 PM
Looking forward to reading how you find the Polish baroque one in particular.   :)

Well The samples sounded very good, and since I knew from previous recordings this ensemble to be very good, I took the plunge. But to be sure when getting it, and that may take some time due to the ongoing crisis, I let it be known what I think of it.

Carlo Gesualdo

Gorecki symphony 4, very strong works here, this is very good, mine favorite is still Copernican symphony 2 but never hear  symphony 1, plenty of listen of  sorrowful song symphony 3 is more notorious.

And

Paul Creston his symphony 5 I did not heard yet, very good orchestration, good listen , Paul Creston Remain a favorite of mine in american composers. And that it goodnight.

André

Quote from: vandermolen on April 03, 2020, 09:16:19 AM
I'm very interested in the Weinberg André but I have the Toccata recording of the same Symphony and need to get to grips with that one first.  :)

So do I. I listened to it 3 times this week. I'm ready to call the work a masterpiece. Only the last movement raises doubts. The soprano should sound from off stage, as the notes mention. The Toccata engineers place her quite close. I'm curious to hear if it's done differently on the DG disc. But apart from that technical detail I'm convinced the work is fully worthy of duplication.

André

Quote from: vandermolen on April 03, 2020, 09:25:45 AM
I have several recordings of the Ciurlionis Harry on Marco Polo, Northern Flowers and another one ( ::)). I think that 'The Sea' is a wonderful work. The Lithuanian wife of a friend of mine so impressed that I'd heard of him and admired his music that she presented me with a large hardback book of his paintings and drawings which was very kind of her (actually his art work is also of interest). Ondine CDs are invariably impressive and well recorded so I have to say that it is a very tempting release. Magnard's 'Chant Funebre' is another very fine work. So I think that you made some good choices there.  :)

Coincidence: one of my friends also has a Lithuanian wife! But I don't think we have the same friend. :D

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 03, 2020, 04:17:59 PM
Coincidence: one of my friends also has a Lithuanian wife! But I don't think we have the same friend. :D
;D

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 03, 2020, 09:25:45 AMI think that 'The Sea' is a wonderful work. (...) Ondine CDs are invariably impressive and well recorded so I have to say that it is a very tempting release. (...)
Intrigued by much in Lithuania and Lithuanian culture - vehemently independent in many respecst, though definitely connected to Poland and the rest of Central Europe more than anything else - I took a dive into Čiurlionis' short life (1875-1911) & beautiful places (Druskininkai and Vilnius especially) in the second half of the 1990s. I do think Jūra (The Sea) is a masterpiece, yet most performances I know still leave much to be desired, hope this one proves better.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Traverso

What a wealth, this new set with the keyboard works from this composer who certainly deserves it to be more widely known in the world.

Harry

Quote from: Traverso on April 04, 2020, 05:28:01 AM
What a wealth, this new set with the keyboard works from this composer who certainly deserves it to be more widely known in the world.

I have listened to the whole Sweelinck set, and think it spectacular, the organs are fab. But I still love my Leon Berben set, which is on top in my estimate. But then again, to have different sets of Sweelinck's organ music is an absolute must. :laugh: