Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

I forgot to post one on my Comfort purchases. So here it is.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Quote from: "Harry" on April 04, 2020, 07:13:09 AM
I have listened to the whole Sweelinck set, and think it spectacular, the organs are fab. But I still love my Leon Berben set, which is on top in my estimate. But then again, to have different sets of Sweelinck's organ music is an absolute must. :laugh:

I know the feeling,this one will be my third set with keyboard works. :)

André

André

JPC has stopped delivering to Canada !!! What am I gonna dooooooo?

:'( :'( :'( :'(

Christo

Quote from: André on April 04, 2020, 05:12:54 PM

:o :( :'(  Errrr, start listening to the couple of thousands you haven't heard yet?  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Que

Goodness!  ???  Temporarily or permanently?

Q

71 dB

Order with Amazon.ca. Surely they deliver to Canada?

Strange that JPC stops delivering to North America.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Que

Quote from: 71 dB on April 05, 2020, 03:05:19 AM
Order with Amazon.ca. Surely they deliver to Canada?

Strange that JPC stops delivering to North America.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is Corona related.

I suspect that shipping to any destination that requires air transportation is difficult, unreliable and most importantly: very costly in current circumstances. I've read that air transport rates have sky rocketed.....

Q

André

Quote from: Que on April 05, 2020, 03:11:55 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this is Corona related.

I suspect that shipping to any destination that requires air transportation is difficult, unreliable and most importantly: very costly in current circumstances. I've read that air transport rates have sky rocketed.....

Q

Very likely. I sent them an email. There's nothing one can do...

Brian

Quote from: Brian on March 21, 2020, 11:33:49 AM
A few days ago, an Amazon.de order to keep me company during the lengthy "shelter in place" that is coming. Most of these items are no longer available direct from Amazon.de - you have to use third party sellers now. I think DE is focusing on homegoods, medical, etc. - you know, really important things.

This arrived today in a box that had been ripped completely open along one side. My girlfriend pointed at all of my other CDs and said, "You already HAVE enough music for quarantine!!!!!" But she was smiling so I think it's okay  ;D ;D

Boxes on order and yet to arrive: Ashkenazy "Artist Choice" solo and chamber recordings (a.k.a. "the purple one") and Feltsman/Sony. She's working from home so no way to hide these...

André

Each cd is devoted to one of the composers mentioned. Previously issued.

71 dB

Quote from: André on April 07, 2020, 11:14:36 AM

Each cd is devoted to one of the composers mentioned. Previously issued.

Released to age 6 or older? WTF? Are Vivaldi's, Scarlatti's (A. or D.?) and Caldara's cantatas harmful to 5 year olds?  ::)

MusicTurner

Quote from: deprofundis on April 03, 2020, 02:09:39 PM
Gorecki symphony 4, very strong works here, this is very good, mine favorite is still Copernican symphony 2 but never hear  symphony 1, plenty of listen of  sorrowful song symphony 3 is more notorious.

And

Paul Creston his symphony 5 I did not heard yet, very good orchestration, good listen , Paul Creston Remain a favorite of mine in american composers. And that it goodnight.

Gorecki's 1st symphony is smaller and not as impressive IMO, I agree that 2-3 are great works; though I own no.4 I still need to hear it in a more concentrated way, but it seems to be fine too ...

As for Creston, I haven't listened that much yet ...

André

Quote from: 71 dB on April 07, 2020, 12:45:14 PM
Released to age 6 or older? WTF? Are Vivaldi's, Scarlatti's (A. or D.?) and Caldara's cantatas harmful to 5 year olds?  ::)

The rating is for the DVD. Opera sometimes has nudity and profanity. But apparently everyone here is fully clothed and on good behaviour  ;).

71 dB

Quote from: André on April 07, 2020, 12:54:07 PM
The rating is for the DVD. Opera sometimes has nudity and profanity. But apparently everyone here is fully clothed and on good behaviour  ;).

Yeah, but it feels so silly. This is perhaps the most "toddler safe" stuff out there... ::)
People don't get traumatized by Vivaldi until adulthood when they realize they have heard Le quattro stagioni too many time for one lifetime.

Madiel

Quote from: 71 dB on April 07, 2020, 01:55:42 PM
Yeah, but it feels so silly. This is perhaps the most "toddler safe" stuff out there... ::)
People don't get traumatized by Vivaldi until adulthood when they realize they have heard Le quattro stagioni too many time for one lifetime.

That's an instrumental work. Maybe you should look at some of the opera plots. And given we are talking about cantatas I imagine the raters read the texts.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on April 08, 2020, 12:24:33 AM
That's an instrumental work. Maybe you should look at some of the opera plots. And given we are talking about cantatas I imagine the raters read the texts.

I very much doubt that German kids under 6 understand the Italian of the Baroque cantatas. That restriction is imho a perfect example of being more Catholic than the Pope.  :laugh:
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on April 08, 2020, 12:38:37 AM
I very much doubt that German kids under 6 understand the Italian of the Baroque cantatas. That restriction is imho a perfect example of being more Catholic than the Pope.  :laugh:

Dear God, it's like you've never encountered subtitles in your life. I mean, I don't expect most of the German adults to understand the Italian of the Baroque cantatas either.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on April 08, 2020, 12:38:37 AM

If a kid under 6 is able to read and is interested of Baroque cantatas we are talking about a very smart/mature kid who will be ok with the content anyway.

I get that you have to give DVDs an age restriction by law, but how about using common sense and make it zero?

Madiel

Quote from: 71 dB on April 08, 2020, 03:06:34 AM
If a kid under 6 is able to read and is interested of Baroque cantatas we are talking about a very smart/mature kid who will be ok with the content anyway.

I get that you have to give DVDs an age restriction by law, but how about using common sense and make it zero?

1. Zero is an option in the German system. They didn't take it.

2. Both you and Florestan seem to live in some weird parallel universe with no eye on practical reality. Do you honestly think the only way a kid ever sees a DVD is when they browse the shelf and say "oh, Baroque canatas, I've had enough of Dora the Explorer, this is more meaty"? This isn't about the purchasing decisions of 5-year-old children, because they don't tend to make a lot of purchasing decisions in the first place. Not generally having incomes. Nor is it about their VIEWING decisions or interests. This is about telling adult purchasers that having a very young child sitting in the room when they watch might not be the ideal choice.

Honestly, if you're going to talk about using common sense, how about giving serious consideration to why ratings systems exist in the first place. They're not there for the kiddies to read, they're there to inform parents about the nature of the content!