Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

These just in:

[asin] B07SDTTKFD[/asin][asin] B07Y9BH2WG[/asin]

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 03, 2020, 08:51:30 PM
Kyle (Kyjo) is to blame for this one, especially for using the phrase 'doom-laden processional' in relation to it.
:)

Also I pre-ordered the Barbirolli album (for Vaughan Williams's 6th Symphony). I posted about it before but I think that my post vaporised in the Great GMG Forum Meltdown:

ditto for the Barbirolli album.

Daverz

Some recent Amazon Marketplace purchases:

[asin]B00000E4X1[/asin] [asin]B000005IY6[/asin] [asin]B000003CVX[/asin]

The Crumb disc replaces an old copy that was too scratched to play.

T. D.

Quote from: Daverz on June 04, 2020, 10:10:59 AM

... [asin]B000005IY6[/asin] ...

The Crumb disc replaces an old copy that was too scratched to play.
I wondered about that (not exactly a new release).  ;) One of the relatively few Crumb discs I own. I like his music, but it often (IMO) has a theatrical/ritual element and is better experienced live. Of course, now that I don't reside near NYC, recordings are the only option.

SonicMan46

Telemann, GP - Complete Wind Concertos w/ Michael Schneider and the two groups shown below - 8-CD box (recordings from 2005-2011) - not sure that I needed this but by culling out 4 of my other CDs (nearly all duplications), there are less that a half dozen dupes in my collection; ratings on Fanfare have been excellent - and a bargain from JPC 'across the pond' - Amazon USA was asking $66 USD Prime - just purchased from JPC for about $41 (which includes shipping), thus 5 bucks a disc!  Dave :)

Daverz

Quote from: Daverz on June 04, 2020, 10:10:59 AM

[asin]B00000E4X1[/asin]

Tracking says it was delivered to the mailbox (one of those mailbox clusters in our condo complex), but it's not there.  Sigh.  USPS has been less than reliable lately.

Mirror Image

Just bought at good prices via JPC:

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2020, 12:45:10 PM

I've heard the discs of Piano Sonatas and String Quartets. Supremely fantastic in my view. The others should be great as well.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 04, 2020, 12:51:53 PM
I've heard the discs of Piano Sonatas and String Quartets. Supremely fantastic in my view. The others should be great as well.

Very good to hear, Cesar. I already owned the CPO sets of the symphonies and PCs, so might as well get these as well. Looking forward to hearing all of this music, although I already know the Cello Concerto No. 2 rather well thanks to a great disc with Raphael Wallfisch and Bryden Thomson (also coupled with the Violin Concerto with Lydia Mordkovitch and Neeme Järvi). I own some other Kabalevsky discs on Naxos and Chandos as well, but I'm just filling in some gaps right now.

kyjo

Pounds the table! All of CPO's Kabalevsky releases have been excellent. Michael Korstick, in particular, is a powerhouse of a pianist and plays the piano works like nobody's business!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on June 04, 2020, 04:46:26 PM
Pounds the table! All of CPO's Kabalevsky releases have been excellent. Michael Korstick, in particular, is a powerhouse of a pianist and plays the piano works like nobody's business!

Excellent to read, Kyle. I'm rather looking forward to rediscovering the Kabalevsky in my collection, but also hearing the works I haven't heard before as well. I re-listened to the 1st and 2nd symphonies today and rather enjoyed them. Nothing earth-shattering of course, but highly infectious nevertheless.

vandermolen

Excellent John! I have the lower two CDs. I trust that you have the symphonies and PCs in that collection. I've recently realised how good his Cello Sonata is, which I have on a Naxos and Somm CD with Myaskovsky's eloquent Second Cello Sonata.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on June 04, 2020, 04:48:34 AM
ditto for the Barbirolli album.
I'll look forward to comparing notes about it. Due 30th June I now see.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 04, 2020, 11:47:34 PM
I'll look forward to comparing notes about it. Due 30th June I now see.

Since posting about it before (unfortunately lost) I found out that Barbirolli conducted RVW6 sixty-nine times, more times than any other RVW symphony except No 8, the one dedicated to him (79 times). It clearly meant a great deal to him, such a shame he never got to make a studio recording.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 04, 2020, 11:13:42 PM
Excellent John! I have the lower two CDs. I trust that you have the symphonies and PCs in that collection. I've recently realised how good his Cello Sonata is, which I have on a Naxos and Somm CD with Myaskovsky's eloquent Second Cello Sonata.

Thanks, Jeffrey. Yep, I own the symphonies and PCs sets, so it'll be nice to have these other recordings. I have the Cello Sonata in a Hyperion recording coupled with Shostakovich's with Isserlis and Mustonen. I haven't heard it yet, but pretty excited to hear it since you've enjoyed it so much.

JBS

Found this on my doorstep this morning when I came down for breakfast via Amazon
[asin]B013HFUAHC[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on June 05, 2020, 06:01:23 AM
Found this on my doorstep this morning when I came down for breakfast via Amazon
[asin]B013HFUAHC[/asin]

I couldn't help reading this as saying that you sailed down one of the world's mightiest rivers to get to breakfast.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on June 05, 2020, 06:58:57 AM
I couldn't help reading this as saying that you sailed down one of the world's mightiest rivers to get to breakfast.

;D

But the mighty river isn't so off base.

We've gotten and will get so much rain over the last three week that we are under a flood watch until at least tomorrow night.
There have been three named tropical storms so far this season. The first two passed directly over us or near us as they were developing. Cristobal is on the other side of the Gulf of Mexico but its reach is wide enough to dump some more rain on us since Wednesday and continuing on the next couple of days.

Biffo

Quote from: JBS on June 05, 2020, 06:01:23 AM
[asin]B013HFUAHC[/asin]

An excellent box, I have the Monteux cycle of symphonies as separate albums with No 7 my favourite.

Coincidentally, the DG Steinberg set of Beethoven symphonies arrived today; so far only listened to No 1.

JBS

Quote from: Biffo on June 05, 2020, 08:14:33 AM
An excellent box, I have the Monteux cycle of symphonies as separate albums with No 7 my favourite.

Coincidentally, the DG Steinberg set of Beethoven symphonies arrived today; so far only listened to No 1.

This set has an extra Eroica (Concertgebouw).

I ordered the Steinberg off Amazon MP but it has to cross the Atlantic to get to me.