Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: JBS on June 05, 2020, 09:50:16 AM
This set has an extra Eroica (Concertgebouw).

I ordered the Steinberg off Amazon MP but it has to cross the Atlantic to get to me.

That 'extra Eroica' is one of the best ever !

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 05, 2020, 05:56:43 AM
Thanks, Jeffrey. Yep, I own the symphonies and PCs sets, so it'll be nice to have these other recordings. I have the Cello Sonata in a Hyperion recording coupled with Shostakovich's with Isserlis and Mustonen. I haven't heard it yet, but pretty excited to hear it since you've enjoyed it so much.

The Kabalevsky Cello Sonata is a fantastic work, comparable with the works in the genre by Prokofiev and Shostakovich. I heard a "taster" of the Isserlis recording YT on it sounded really excellent - hardly surprising considering what a consistently fine cellist Isserlis is.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on June 05, 2020, 10:38:10 AM
The Kabalevsky Cello Sonata is a fantastic work, comparable with the works in the genre by Prokofiev and Shostakovich. I heard a "taster" of the Isserlis recording YT on it sounded really excellent - hardly surprising considering what a consistently fine cellist Isserlis is.

Very good to read, Kyle. Yes, Isserelis is a fantastic cellist, which one of the reasons why I bought that particular recording, because with him, I know I'm in safe hands. It's also nice to see he continues to record classical music unlike Yo-Yo Ma who I haven't taken seriously as a musician of note in a number of years.

T. D.

Quote from: kyjo on June 05, 2020, 10:38:10 AM

Good news. I have a recording en route with Rostropovich and Kabalevsky himself on piano.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on June 05, 2020, 12:00:27 AM
Since posting about it before (unfortunately lost) I found out that Barbirolli conducted RVW6 sixty-nine times, more times than any other RVW symphony except No 8, the one dedicated to him (79 times). It clearly meant a great deal to him, such a shame he never got to make a studio recording.
Exactly my thought as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 05, 2020, 10:44:16 AM
Very good to read, Kyle. Yes, Isserelis is a fantastic cellist, which one of the reasons why I bought that particular recording, because with him, I know I'm in safe hands. It's also nice to see he continues to record classical music unlike Yo-Yo Ma who I haven't taken seriously as a musician of note in a number of years.
Isserlis was a couple of years behind me at school. I never recall encountering him but remember his name from those days of long ago.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: Biffo on June 05, 2020, 12:00:27 AM
I found out that Barbirolli conducted RVW6 sixty-nine times, more times than any other RVW symphony except No 8, the one dedicated to him (79 times)

Both remarkable statistics anyhow: 69 and 79 times relatively 'lesser known' RVW symphonies - under one conductor. Must even be more than Boult ever accomplished. 
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

JBS

Arrived today via regular mail
[asin]B0000061JH[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 05, 2020, 11:42:58 AM
Isserlis was a couple of years behind me at school. I never recall encountering him but remember his name from those days of long ago.

Woah, very cool, Jeffrey! Isserlis is one of my favorite cellists.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 05, 2020, 11:42:58 AM

That's awesome, Jeffrey! Isserelis is certainly one of the great cellists of our time.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on June 05, 2020, 07:25:47 AM
;D

But the mighty river isn't so off base.

We've gotten and will get so much rain over the last three week that we are under a flood watch until at least tomorrow night.
There have been three named tropical storms so far this season. The first two passed directly over us or near us as they were developing. Cristobal is on the other side of the Gulf of Mexico but its reach is wide enough to dump some more rain on us since Wednesday and continuing on the next couple of days.
Stay safe JBS!  Sorry to hear about your further tribulations in the midst of everything else that has been going on.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 05, 2020, 04:33:05 PM
Stay safe JBS!  Sorry to hear about your further tribulations in the midst of everything else that has been going on.

PD

It's Florida. It's hurricane season. We live with it, secure in the knowledge that in January we won't have a blizzard with subfreezing temperatures.

When you come down to it, most northern states have at least one storm a year close to hurricane strength winds.

JBS

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Seeing Jeffrey (JBS) post about this recording a week or so ago got me curious. I love Vasks' other string concerti, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 05, 2020, 05:23:23 PM
Just bought:

Seeing Jeffrey (JBS) post about this recording a week or so ago got me curious. I love Vasks' other string concerti, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

I've listened to it once so far. I think it's good.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on June 05, 2020, 05:52:00 PM
I've listened to it once so far. I think it's good.

Excellent to read, Jeffrey. 8)

Biffo

Quote from: JBS on June 05, 2020, 09:50:16 AM
This set has an extra Eroica (Concertgebouw).

I ordered the Steinberg off Amazon MP but it has to cross the Atlantic to get to me.

I can only find one used (and quite expensive) copy of this separately. There is a Concertgebouw performance on Spotify, it is an obscure label - THAI Records - not sure it is the same performance. There is also an Eroica with the BBC SO as a BBC Legend. Will keep looking.

JBS

Quote from: Biffo on June 06, 2020, 02:17:20 AM
I can only find one used (and quite expensive) copy of this separately. There is a Concertgebouw performance on Spotify, it is an obscure label - THAI Records - not sure it is the same performance. There is also an Eroica with the BBC SO as a BBC Legend. Will keep looking.

FYI the recording dates for the Concertgebouw Erioca were 1-3 July 1962.

Que

Quote from: Biffo on June 06, 2020, 02:17:20 AM

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000E3M4/?tag=goodmusicguideco

There is also an issue in the Philips "Early Years" series (but prohibitive expensive) and there might be Japanese issues.

Q

Biffo

Thanks for that - I have now found the same issue on Amazon.co.uk - several used copies.