Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I tried to avoid any duplication from my dad's own Khachaturian collection. I'm sure he'll want copies of all these. ;D

Also bought:

I bought this Weinberg recording as a CD quality download via eclassical. The price was certainly right. These will be completely new works to me.

André

Symphonic Addict

Good purchases there, André! The Eklund escapes from my knowledge, though.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Shostakovich:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: Daverz on June 29, 2020, 06:09:00 AM
Presto is having a sale on Chandos hi-res downloads: hi-res for the same price as MP3: $10 per disc.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/promotions/chandos-hires

[asin]B00CLFYWDI[/asin]

I could have downloaded a standard res download of all the symphonies for $12.  Oh well, I'd have missed Funiculì, Funiculà (used in Italia).

Pounds the table!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 30, 2020, 12:37:45 PM
Good purchases there, André! The Eklund escapes from my knowledge, though.

I settled for it when I saw that the symphonies disc was priced for a millionaire's budget  :D.

JBS

Ordered over  the weekend

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: André on June 30, 2020, 11:48:02 AM

The Benjamin symphony is excellent IMO. Very much in the spirit of symphonies 4 and 6 by his friend VW. The 'lighter' works on that fine Lyrita CD make up a great programme. The earlier recording on Marco Polo is worth having for the rather moving 'Ballade for String Orchestra' and there is a historic Barbirolli recording as well, appropriately coupled with VW's 4th Symphony:
[/img]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TheGSMoeller

Ordered from Europadisc...

Judith

As posted previously, ordered another Sibelius set recommended by a Twitter friend

Berglund
Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
On Warner label.

Wanted another set so looking forward to its arrival🎼🎼

Mirror Image

Quote from: Judith on July 01, 2020, 09:47:23 AM
As posted previously, ordered another Sibelius set recommended by a Twitter friend

Berglund
On Warner label.

And a wise choice you made, too. That's one of my favorite Sibelius symphony sets, although I don't own that particular issue but the Japanese one released in conjunction with Tower Records --- the hybrid SACD set.

Mahlerian

Quote from: Judith on July 01, 2020, 09:47:23 AM

Berglund
On Warner label.

It's a very good one!
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Brian

Europa has CPO and a few other things on sale, so I availed myself of a few CPO series I follow and some other goodies.

The Krommer symphonies (#8 is missing)

Widor organ + orchestra

bonus:

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Hopefully, this will be my last purchase for awhile. I believe it was our Jeffrey (Vandermolen) that spoke highly of Melikov's Legend of Love, so I'm definitely interested in hearing this ballet.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 01, 2020, 08:20:07 PM
Just bought:

Hopefully, this will be my last purchase for awhile. I believe it was our Jeffrey (Vandermolen) that spoke highly of Melikov's Legend of Love, so I'm definitely interested in hearing this ballet.
Woohoo!
What a great selection. I possess all of those (featured in your last two posts except the Tischenko). If the Scherbachov release includes the 5th Symphony I consider it one of the very best in that Northern Flowers wartime series. I'm sure that you'll like it as I do the engaging Melikov, ballet which has a very striking cover image.

MusicTurner

I have the old LP version of Melikov's ballet ... nice.

springrite

Quote from: vandermolen on July 01, 2020, 09:33:07 PM
Woohoo!
If the Scherbachov release includes the 5th Symphony I consider it one of the very best in that Northern Flowers wartime series.
Yes, that's the one.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 01, 2020, 09:33:07 PM
Woohoo!
What a great selection. I possess all of those (featured in your last two posts except the Tischenko). If the Scherbachov release includes the 5th Symphony I consider it one of the very best in that Northern Flowers wartime series. I'm sure that you'll like it as I do the engaging Melikov, ballet which has a very striking cover image.

Very good to hear, Jeffrey. I sampled some of the Scherbachov on YouTube and rather liked his Symphony No. 5, so I was delighted to find this recording of it. The Northern Flowers Wartime series is excellent. I don't own a lot of them, but I have the Popov, Mosolov and now this one from Scherbachov.

Mirror Image

Somehow I forgot to post these purchases from two days ago:

The Khachaturian is a Japanese import --- one of those UHQCD issues. This Korngold Capriccio set compiles all of those ASV recordings that are now sadly OOP.