Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undersea

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 28, 2020, 02:22:20 PM
Interesting. Let me know what you think of these. I have generally been quite disappointed by LSO Live's sonics no matter how great the performance is, so I can never give any of the recordings I own another listen.

I've listened to all of the Noseda Shostakovich recordings but the 1st Symphony - The interpretations aren't markedly different from any that I own already.
Symphony #5 seemed quite slow. Symphony #4 was given a pretty energetic Performance (or at least provided the illusion that it was played enthusiastically). Symphony #8 was good too although nothing really stood out about it.
I am different from you in that I really like the sound of LSO-Live recordings. I like their recordings so much because they are just about totally absent of any resonance from the recording venue - This makes it easier for me to hear the details of the recording clearly. Also LSO recordings have just about the right amount of Dynamic Range for me. Preferences for "sound" are a very individual thing however.
You probably wouldn't miss a lot by not owning these recordings given you seem to have a fair bit of Shostakovich already - they are probably not going to offer you anything new in that respect...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Undersea on July 04, 2020, 05:48:30 AM
I've listened to all of the Noseda Shostakovich recordings but the 1st Symphony - The interpretations aren't markedly different from any that I own already.
Symphony #5 seemed quite slow. Symphony #4 was given a pretty energetic Performance (or at least provided the illusion that it was played enthusiastically). Symphony #8 was good too although nothing really stood out about it.
I am different from you in that I really like the sound of LSO-Live recordings. I like their recordings so much because they are just about totally absent of any resonance from the recording venue - This makes it easier for me to hear the details of the recording clearly. Also LSO recordings have just about the right amount of Dynamic Range for me. Preferences for "sound" are a very individual thing however.
You probably wouldn't miss a lot by not owning these recordings given you seem to have a fair bit of Shostakovich already - they are probably not going to offer you anything new in that respect...

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, sounds like I can pass on these recordings. I had a feeling they weren't anything too special, but sometimes there are surprises along the way.

ritter

Quote from: Que on July 04, 2020, 05:09:08 AM
Sound quality is pretty horrible, but very special performances close to my heart.  :)

Q
Yes, they are quite special (listening to the Schubert Piano Trio No. 2 as I write). As for the sound, it ain't SOTA for sure, but when one is used to listen to e.g. broadcast recordings live from La Scala in the 50s, one's tolerance for this kind of thing is greatly increased  ;).

DaveF

eBay bargain which arrived today:

(Wow, that's a big picture, but it is Turner after all.)  So far I've had the Te Deum, conducted by John Nelson - huge acoustic, somewhere called La Salle de la Mutualité in Paris, with Marie-Claire Alain edited in from La Madeleine, and consequently choir often behind the beat, but mercifully they're French so don't have that awful English habit of singing Sab-eye-ot.  And Roberto Alagna is pretty good in his solo movement.  In fact it's all pretty good, and probably exactly the sort of space that HB was writing for.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

vandermolen

Quote from: DaveF on July 04, 2020, 09:26:32 AM
eBay bargain which arrived today:

(Wow, that's a big picture, but it is Turner after all.)  So far I've had the Te Deum, conducted by John Nelson - huge acoustic, somewhere called La Salle de la Mutualité in Paris, with Marie-Claire Alain edited in from La Madeleine, and consequently choir often behind the beat, but mercifully they're French so don't have that awful English habit of singing Sab-eye-ot.  And Roberto Alagna is pretty good in his solo movement.  In fact it's all pretty good, and probably exactly the sort of space that HB was writing for.
Great picture!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DaveF

Quote from: vandermolen on July 04, 2020, 09:32:47 AM
Great picture!

You can have it and 26 others like it from the eBay bargain seller who supplied mine - only one remaining.  You need it, you know you do  >:D
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

vandermolen

Quote from: DaveF on July 04, 2020, 11:31:51 AM
You can have it and 26 others like it from the eBay bargain seller who supplied mine - only one remaining.  You need it, you know you do  >:D
;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I bought this for the Korngold, but I'm looking forward to hearing the Dvarionas works. He'll be a new composer to me.

Brian

JBS, the Dawson symphony impressed me on first listen and the Groven is quite pleasant, but I thought the Gould performances from Austria really lacked panache.

TheGSMoeller

A few new Purcell purchases, including the Blu-Ray of Peter Sellars production of The Indian Queen with MusicAeterna/Currentzis.

JBS

Just now
[asin]B07WLBSKWP[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

More Khachaturian on the way:

vers la flamme

^That Järvi recording of Khachaturian's 2nd & the Gayaneh suite is pretty good! Granted it's the only disc of that composer's music in my whole library. I must confess that for some time I held a bias against Khachaturian after hearing the Sabre Dance a million times too many in cartoons and such as a child, but I think I'm over it now.  ;D I'd like to hear more of his music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 05, 2020, 11:06:44 AM
^That Järvi recording of Khachaturian's 2nd & the Gayaneh suite is pretty good! Granted it's the only disc of that composer's music in my whole library. I must confess that for some time I held a bias against Khachaturian after hearing the Sabre Dance a million times too many in cartoons and such as a child, but I think I'm over it now.  ;D I'd like to hear more of his music.

Very good to read, vers la flamme. Yes, I used to have an ambivalence about Khachaturian, too. For some reason or another, I just thought of his as a composer of cheap thrills, but this opinion has most definitely changed once I started really digging into his oeuvre. I don't like to fashion myself as a 'music snob' but, by golly, that is exactly how I was acting towards his music. Thankfully, I was wrong (as I usually am) and I have enjoyed just about everything I've heard from him immensely. The complete ballet Gayane had me on cloud nine the night before last. I was expecting some filler here and there, but, to my ears, there was none at all. I really need to get back to finishing up the complete Spartacus.

Mirror Image

André

Carlo Gesualdo

I bought tone of LP's super good ones , mysterious one cool Franco-Flemish Burgundian musical mostly, But also purchase Henry 8 material, Willam Byrd whit songs and ,, music of Hungaria consort music dance and songs ,, too many thing too mention Lassus Lament of Job on harmonia mundi double LP.Lasso  (penitential psalms + missa something in latin).And bene,bene Carlo Gesualdo da venosa edition Harmonia mundi  entire book 1-6 in vinyls  wow WOW wow, temple of fufillement of joy!! and the madrigal can be read in french so french more closer to italian language since latin cousin language So I can't believe this ,, I,m so amazed, I was looking for this but postage verboten me in my cheapness of purchasing this on ebay and amazon because too expensive shipping.. Now i got the precious the precious is mine!!!!!! lol

:D

Wow what a bargain too!!!!neato  neato, bene bene  :P ;D 8)

Jo498

This was probably my first real purchase of the year (I got a few used items before that), I couldn't resist the 9,99 EUR price tag and I am interested in the reconstructed "7th symphony" (which I had on my list as a single but it was more expensive... and the Ormandy box that also has that "7th" is oop), I have not listened to any of it but hope that the sound is also first rate.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/saemtliche-sinfonien/hnum/8254600

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mahlerian

Quote from: JBS on July 05, 2020, 10:48:01 AM
Just now
[asin]B07WLBSKWP[/asin]

Interesting. Let me know how this is.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg