Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Harry

Since JPC offers free of postage costs, I ordered the following items.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

And the second volume

André

Nice, Harry ! These Overtures discs look yummy.

I wish JPC would resume delivery to Canada. For some reason DHL has put us on some kind of black list  ::).

ritter

Just discovered that Honegger made 4-hand piano a reduction of his lovely Pastorale d'été, and that it's been recorded by Pascal & Ami Roger (it's on YouTube, and it's delightfully). The rest of the album looks interesting as well, so I've just ordered it:

[asin]B083MW5BD7[/asin]

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 06, 2020, 10:08:25 AM
Interesting Brian and thanks. 'Quite nice' and 'Doesn't mess it up' is not necessarily the Royal seal of approval. I keep asking myself 'do I really need another recording of VW's 5th Symphony?' After all, I have both Boult's, both Barbirolli's,  Previn's great performance plus a great one from VW himself (better than his version of No.4 IMO). Of course, the answer is 'No', although that will not necessarily stop me, especially in view of the interesting Finzi coupling.
Think Jeffrey:  you can just say noooo!  ;)  Walk away.....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on August 06, 2020, 06:00:09 AM
I'm very tempted by that Vasks CD and the new VW/Finzi BIS release.

My advice is to give into temptation. >:D >:D

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: JBS on July 25, 2020, 10:36:38 AM
Last night

Plus two CDs whose images are refusing to show.
Reger Clarinet Quintet Op 146/String Quartet Op 109
20th Century Italian String Music works by Messina, Rota,  Pessina
Both on Naxos

This finally emerged from the limbo of USPS into my mailbox today.

Harry

Some more I ordered today.

The Ries SQ are performed on Authentic instruments. I loved the first two instalments, and this one is a winner too!
The Goldmark I missed somehow in the CPO releases, gorgeous orchestral works, hardly recorded, but CPO did it.

André

T. D.

From Berkshire. These are cutouts/remainders, some price-driven ventures into the unusual with attendant purchase risk. The last one (with unintelligible cover) is W. L. Smith / G. Lewis / J. Zorn, Sonic Rivers.

JBS

Quote from: T. D. on August 07, 2020, 01:49:15 PM
From Berkshire. These are cutouts/remainders, some price-driven ventures into the unusual with attendant purchase risk. The last one (with unintelligible cover) is W. L. Smith / G. Lewis / J. Zorn, Sonic Rivers.

1) I have that Sinopoli Maderna set as part of a set devoted to Sinopoli. I remember it as rather interesting. (I don't have any other recordings to compare it to.)  Interesting that DG preferred to license it to Brilliant instead of re-issuing it.
2) What ensemble plays on that CD of Latin American quartets?
3) The Friere Villa Lobos CD is excellent...but you probably didn't need me to tell you that.

T. D.

Quote from: JBS on August 07, 2020, 05:43:23 PM
1) I have that Sinopoli Maderna set as part of a set devoted to Sinopoli. I remember it as rather interesting. (I don't have any other recordings to compare it to.)  Interesting that DG preferred to license it to Brilliant instead of re-issuing it.
2) What ensemble plays on that CD of Latin American quartets?
3) The Friere Villa Lobos CD is excellent...but you probably didn't need me to tell you that.

1) Looking through Berkshire's recent e-mail, I was surprised to see several Brilliant DG reissues, notably the Lasalle Qt. Zemlinsky/Apostel quartets, which I only recently acquired as part of a DG box! I haven't heard any Maderna compositions, but did a bit of research and this (as well as the disc on Arts Music) seemed worth a flyer. I've enjoyed other recordings on Arts with Ceccanti / Contempoartensemble.
2) Cuarteto Latinoamericano, it's at the bottom of the cover. I already have the VL #15, 17 on other recordings by them, but for $3.99 bought this for the companion works.
3) I hope so. This is my first VL solo piano purchase...Berkshire had several other recordings, but I considered Freire more trustworthy than the competitors (Heller, Halasz)  ;).

JBS

Quote from: T. D. on August 07, 2020, 06:06:20 PM
1) Looking through Berkshire's recent e-mail, I was surprised to see several Brilliant DG reissues, notably the Lasalle Qt. Zemlinsky/Apostel quartets, which I only recently acquired as part of a DG box! I haven't heard any Maderna compositions, but did a bit of research and this (as well as the disc on Arts Music) seemed worth a flyer. I've enjoyed other recordings on Arts with Ceccanti / Contempoartensemble.
2) Cuarteto Latinoamericano, it's at the bottom of the cover. I already have the VL #15, 17 on other recordings by them, but for $3.99 bought this for the companion works.
3) I hope so. This is my first VL solo piano purchase...Berkshire had several other recordings, but I considered Freire more trustworthy than the competitors (Heller, Halasz)  ;).

My copy of the LaSalle Second Viennese set [ie, your set without Zemlinsky/Apostel] is also from Brilliant.

For Villa Lobos on piano, Marc Andre Hamelin did a CD that's good. I don't remember if he recorded any of the works Friere did.

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on August 06, 2020, 10:37:30 AM
Since JPC offers free of postage costs, I ordered the following items.
Austin's bracing 'The Sea Venturers' on the British Overtures CD is particularly good. Even reminding me of Bernard Herrmann at one point.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on August 06, 2020, 06:49:16 PM
My advice is to give into temptation. >:D >:D
Quite possibly as I have a £50 voucher for agreeing to a random Covid Test.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

arpeggio

I have just purchased the following from ArkivMusic.  It was on sale.  The set has many works I am unfamiliar with.

JBS

Quote from: arpeggio on August 08, 2020, 01:26:35 AM
I have just purchased the following from ArkivMusic.  It was on sale.  The set has many works I am unfamiliar with.

It's quite an interesting set. There are several works in there for which this is the first release on CD in any form.

TD

This is the first [1805] version of what we know as Fidelio.

Pohjolas Daughter

Ran across a bunch of CDs at exceptional prices today!  Hoping that I chose well.  :)  In no particular order:

1) - 3) On Hybrid SACD Ronald Brautigam--Beethoven's complete solo piano works for piano (on fortepiano) - Vols. 1 -3
4) Haydn "Erdody" Quartets Op. 76 with the Tatrai Quartet (I have other ones in this series...hoping that I didn't duplicate!)
5) Haydn's String Quartets Opp. 76, 77, 103 with the Amadeus Quartet
6) a 2-CD set of Chamber Works by Women Composers on VoxBox
7)  Tchaikovsky & Mendelssohn Violin Concertos with Kyung Wha Chung and Dutoit & Montreal
8)   Shostakovich ballet suites with SCO and Neeme Jarvi on Chandos Classics
9)  A BBC MM CD of Shostakovich Sym. No. 2 and Prokofieve Cantata (talked about on the BBC MM thread recently)
10) Brahms Cello Sonatas with Lynn Harrell and Vladimir Ashkenazy on London
11)  Ives Sym. Nos. 1 & 4 with Dallas SO and Andrew Litton on Hyperion
12)  Sibelius Sym No. 2 and Finlandia with the BSO and Sir Colin Davis on Philips
13)  On the Threshold of Hope:  Mieczyslaw Weinberg Chamber Music with the Arc Ensemble on RCA Red Seal
14)  Franz Schubert - Death and the Maiden with the Amadeus Quartett on DG
15)  Mahler Sym. No. 1 and Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen with Haken Hagegard, the NY Phil. and Kurt Masur
16)  Milhaud, La création du monde, Le Boeuf and harp concerto with Frédérique Cambreling and the Orchestra de l'opera de Lyon with Kent Nagano on Erato France
17)  Bartok - Complete string quartets with the Keller Quartet on Erato
18)  Honegger - Sym. Nos. 3 and 5 with Dutoit and the Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks on Erato
19)  Ravel Melodies/Lieder with DF-D on Orfeo
20)  Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms with DF-D and Bertini on Orfeo
21)  Weiner Divertimentos Nos. 3, 4, 5; Variations on a Hungarian Folksong, Serenade and Carnival with the North Hungarian SO with Kovacs on Hungaroton Classic
22)  Yuri Bashmet (viola) Schubert, Schumann, Bruch and Enesco on RCA Victor Red Seal
23)  Rameau in Versailles - 6 concerto transcriptions with Orch. de Chambre Jean-Francois Paillard on Erato Residence
24)  Ultimate Brahms series - Violin Concerto and Double Concerto with Szeryng, Starker, Concertgebouw Orchestra with Haitink
25)  Bellini Il Pirate with Caballé, Marti, Cappuccilli and Raimondi, Gavazzeni and the RTI, Roma
26)  Handel's Floridante with Il  Complesso Barocco, Alan Curtis on Archiv Produktion
27)  Flotow's Martha with Rothenberger, Fassbaender, Gedda, Prey with Heger , etc. on EMI Classics
28)  Offenbach's La Périchole with Crespin, Vanzo and Bastin with Lombard, etc. on Erato

and 2 pop and one jazz CD (will list elsewhere).

Sorry for not listing everything fully, but I was getting tired of typing!  ;)

PD

p.s. Some of the works were familiar to me and I wanted to listen to some new performances, but a bunch new music to me too.

Pohjolas Daughter

André

1-4 and 13 are excellent, PD !  :)

André

The name of the composer is Gerhard Rosenfeld (appears on the left, vertical). I have his 1st VC, a very fine work. This is his Zigeuner (Gipsy) Requiem in memory of tzigane people killed by the nazis.