Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on September 23, 2020, 07:05:00 AM
On the other hand Rutland Boughton's 'Oliver Cromwell' Symphony is terrible - absolutely awful but the CD is a must-have for the Bainton symphony:

Rutland Boughton is such a curious composer/story.  When I was a student I did a pilgrimage (kinda) to Glastonbury to find the Hall where he staged his "English Ring".  At the time it was completely shut up and near derelict.  Since then it has been restored/reopened and the last time I was there was holding a craft fair! (years ago).  But I did find it amazing to think of the great and the good who had trod those very steps back in the 20's.  Musically Boughton was never a genius but he did have the gift of touching a kind of collective emotional nerve.  The trouble is that much of his music feels "clumsy" and too often its aspirations outweigh its achievements.  But Micheal Hurd's book about him and the Glastonbury Festivals makes for a fascinating study of a certain period in British music between the Wars;

I'm sad enough to have both editions of this book!

Que

Quote from: JBS on September 24, 2020, 04:40:25 PM

Brilliant had a series of 8 CDs devoted to Telemann's overtures which I think was fairly good.
[asin]B0085U0GJW[/asin]

Agreed. Not on period instruments but definitely period informed playing - pretty good!

Q

Harry

I ordered a few things, some I might already have posted, but never mind. there was a Chandos sale at JPC de, some very good bargains.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Part 2.

Harry

Part 3.

Harry

The Salmenhaara which I ordered with JPC I deleted, for they lengthened the deliver time almost every week with a week, so I try at Amazon.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 25, 2020, 11:24:03 PM
Rutland Boughton is such a curious composer/story.  When I was a student I did a pilgrimage (kinda) to Glastonbury to find the Hall where he staged his "English Ring".  At the time it was completely shut up and near derelict.  Since then it has been restored/reopened and the last time I was there was holding a craft fair! (years ago).  But I did find it amazing to think of the great and the good who had trod those very steps back in the 20's.  Musically Boughton was never a genius but he did have the gift of touching a kind of collective emotional nerve.  The trouble is that much of his music feels "clumsy" and too often its aspirations outweigh its achievements.  But Micheal Hurd's book about him and the Glastonbury Festivals makes for a fascinating study of a certain period in British music between the Wars;

I'm sad enough to have both editions of this book!
Very interesting. I'm sorry that I didn't know this before spending my summer holiday this year just outside Glastonbury. Having been very critical of the Oliver Cromwell Symphony I'd point out that I have the highest regard for the 'Immortal Hour' and also greatly admire his Oboe Concerto.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on September 26, 2020, 02:55:46 AM
The Salmenhaara which I ordered with JPC I deleted, for they lengthened the deliver time almost every week with a week, so I try at Amazon.
It will be worth it in the end Harry. A big thumbs up from me for the double CD of British violin concertos, for Steinberg's 4th Symphony 'Turksib' and for Sumera's marvellous 2nd Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Some used goodies on the way :

A couple from the Dutton sale:

Olivier

André

Great haul, Papy! The Arnold Overtures program is my favourite disc of his music, bar none.

listener

PFITZNER: Palestrina on Blu-Ray    $9.49 !!  also BOÏTO Mepfistophele
https://www.hbdirect.com/album_detail.php?pid=8005764
and on cd  BUSONI: Die Brautwahl
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

Thanks to Papy Olivier's tip, I went for these Dutton yummies at a very good price:

Papy Oli

Nice haul too, André. That Foulds one is a little gem.
Olivier

Harry

Quote from: André on September 29, 2020, 05:17:54 AM
Thanks to Papy Olivier's tip, I went for these Dutton yummies at a very good price:

Have them all and can confirm their excellence! Enjoy.

Que

These arrived today from jpc:

And a dozen other volumes from Rademann's complete Schütz series...
Taking into consideration the individual volumes I already owned, buying these at 50% off costed me some €20 more compared to getting the reissue of 3 boxsets with notes & texts on CD-R's. For me, that's money well spent.

And:

Q

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 28, 2020, 02:40:18 PM
Some used goodies on the way :

A couple from the Dutton sale:

Woohoo - all excellent IMO - well done Sir!

vandermolen

Quote from: André on September 29, 2020, 05:17:54 AM

Marvellous! How exciting. The Bate is IMO one of the best Dutton releses of all time. A big thumbs up for David Matthews's 6th Symphony with its influence of VW's 6th Symphony. Also, that Bliss album has a brilliant 'Colour Symphony' and, despite its age, the best Suite from 'Things to Come'. I like Chisholm's 'Pictures from Dante' almost as much as the Bate symphony.

vandermolen

Amirov:

arpeggio

I am a fan of Hovhaness.  When reviewing by library I found that I was only missing of few of his recordings of his symphonies that are available.

The following is the last one I did not have. It is out of print but I found a copy on Amazon:

[asin]B000005DUM[/asin]

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini