Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. D.

Quote from: JBS on October 09, 2020, 08:54:52 AM
I have the Nightingale Quartet set. It's a high quality cycle.

Thanks. I've been meaning to hear the cycle. I got this (Kontra Q) for a silly low price and I want to hear what that ensemble sounds like, because I'm considering their (only complete recorded) Holmboe SQ cycle.

vandermolen

The start of a new series featuring music by Israeli composers. Released later this year:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: JBS on October 09, 2020, 08:54:52 AM
I have the Nightingale Quartet set. It's a high quality cycle.

+1
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: T. D. on October 09, 2020, 07:49:07 AM

Well, I just hope you enjoy ultra-lovely and romantic music like that (except the SQ No. 3 which is more "piquant").  :)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

T. D.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 09, 2020, 06:55:29 PM
Well, I just hope you enjoy ultra-lovely and romantic music like that (except the SQ No. 3 which is more "piquant").  :)
It's a shot in the dark for me, don't know what to expect. Online reviews generally praise the (Langgaard) quartets but seem oddly vague when it comes to describing the music. So it should be fun.  :)

Madiel

Quote from: T. D. on October 09, 2020, 07:06:54 PM
It's a shot in the dark for me, don't know what to expect. Online reviews generally praise the (Langgaard) quartets but seem oddly vague when it comes to describing the music. So it should be fun.  :)

Having listened to the Nightingale set online... the music is all over the place. That might be why people are vague! Some quartets are very different from others.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

Spotted today, pre-ordered today.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The new erato

Quote from: Madiel on October 10, 2020, 12:00:50 AM
Having listened to the Nightingale set online... the music is all over the place. That might be why people are vague! Some quartets are very different from others.
Good description og Langgaard in general.

Papy Oli

This one has landed :

[asin]090341354X[/asin]

and won an auction tonight on this one. Like new, £35.00 + postage (only bidder). Dead chuffed to say the least, even more so when it will land.

Olivier

Brian

Quote from: Todd on October 09, 2020, 07:38:53 AM
Pre-ordered CDs.  They will not arrive until early December.  I guess the Sohn and Scherbakov cycles will have to tide me over until then.
My Scherbakov just schipped. I got it for $30 but over in Europe stores have it for $75 or even $90. Serves 'em right.

ritter

Some Milhaud:

New:

Used (and long OOP):
[asin]B00000225K[/asin]
[asin]B00000225L[/asin]
Volume 3 of Françoise Coveaux's (almost) complete traversal of Milhaud's solo piano music includes the early Sonata Nr. 1, which our fellow GMGer kyjo mentioned in the composer's thread. I didn't go for Volume 1, as it was much more expensive (here in Europe) than its companions, and includes works I already have in my collection in other versions.

Daverz

Quote from: ritter on October 12, 2020, 08:09:03 AM
Some Milhaud:

New:

La cheminée du roi René is a lovely work that I first heard at a wind quintet concert.

TD: From an Amazon seller:

[asin]B006ZJJ70O[/asin]

André

Quote from: Daverz on October 12, 2020, 03:52:27 PM
La cheminée du roi René is a lovely work that I first heard at a wind quintet concert.

TD: From an Amazon seller:

[asin]B006ZJJ70O[/asin]

That Stokowski box is quite a treasure trove.

André

Daverz

Quote from: André on October 12, 2020, 04:04:08 PM
That Stokowski box is quite a treasure trove.

I mainly got it for the Brahms 4, recommended by the Hurwitzer.  It can't be download separately.  I already know the Shostakovich 6 (also recommended by Hurwitz) and the Moffo disc with Cantaloube and Villa-Lobos.  And the price was $21 plus shipping for 14 discs.

Brian

Oh hey I have that box. But haven't tried the Brahms 4. Guess I should!

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on October 12, 2020, 06:22:25 PM
Oh hey I have that box. But haven't tried the Brahms 4. Guess I should!

Listened to it on Qobuz.  It's very exciting and well recorded.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/0886443286955

André

All the big works in the box are worth their salt under Stokowski: the Eroica, New World, Pathétique and Resurrection symphonies surprised me very agreeably.

arpeggio

My latest project is to go through the various music catalogues and secure copies of all available recordings of the symphonies of Hovhaness.

My latest purchases are:

[asin]B000003J71[/asin]

Symphony no 15 in the following:

[asin] B000001SI3[/asin]

SonicMan46

Quote from: DaveF on September 14, 2020, 02:42:50 AM
A splurge on the complete (excluding the hard copies I already have) Fitzwilliam Book on Qobuz:

BOY! Did not realize that so many volumes were released - I own just the first 3 - is this the end or are more to come?  And, of course, will Brilliant boxed these up at a good price?  Dave :)