Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 2807646 times)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #27221 on: November 15, 2020, 05:10:47 PM »
Thanks Dave!

One of the Novak discs that I've been wanting to get is a (last I checked) an out-of-print one on Virgin.

PD

I see a few copies of that on Amazon that aren't too expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Slovak-Suite-Eternal-Longing-Mountains/dp/B000002SR4

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #27222 on: November 17, 2020, 01:04:26 PM »

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #27223 on: November 17, 2020, 01:55:50 PM »
Filling gaps in my Milhaud discography (all OOP and cheap):

For Songes, La Libertadora (which I understand is a two-piano suite from the opera Bolivar), and the piano duet version of Kentuckyiana.

For Music for Prague

For The Bells

For a bunch of songs.

For Musique pour l’Indiana.

These works I all know already, but I wanted the Trois Opéras-Minutes in a more modern recording than the one included in the wonderful Forlane 10-CD set (and hopefully this release has the libretti).

And since the aforementioned Forlane set has a complete recording of Bolivar, but no libretto, I’ve managed to locate a copy of Jules Supervielle’s play (that Madeleine Milhaud reduced for the opera). This will hopefully help me follow this ambitious opera with the attention I think it deserves.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 02:48:39 PM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Je recommence ma vie
Je suis né pour te connaître
Pour te nommer

Liberté »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #27224 on: November 17, 2020, 02:26:26 PM »
Europadisc had a sale on Resonus, a label I don't know much about. They also have sales on some new box sets and new releases that are on my Christmas list, so...oops!

And they have Hyperion on sale so

And then from Presto I picked up a few box sets that are likely to go out of print soon. I don't actually like Kurt Masur, and have no interest in his recordings (edit: referring to the ones in this box), but I don't own any set of the String Symphonies, and this one is $12, so why the heck not?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 02:32:57 PM by Brian »

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #27225 on: November 17, 2020, 03:11:47 PM »
«Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music.»

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #27226 on: November 17, 2020, 04:50:34 PM »
Europadisc had a sale on Resonus, a label I don't know much about. They also have sales on some new box sets and new releases that are on my Christmas list, so...oops!

And they have Hyperion on sale so

And then from Presto I picked up a few box sets that are likely to go out of print soon. I don't actually like Kurt Masur, and have no interest in his recordings (edit: referring to the ones in this box), but I don't own any set of the String Symphonies, and this one is $12, so why the heck not?

Perhaps you'll be delighted to find that Masur has nothing to do with these recordings of the string symphonies! ;D They are conductorless Concerto Köln recordings originally on Teldec "Das Alte Werk". I don't know much of his conducting, but I do have this box and find the Mendelssohn symphonies here to be fine performances.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #27227 on: November 17, 2020, 07:05:30 PM »
Perhaps you'll be delighted to find that Masur has nothing to do with these recordings of the string symphonies! ;D They are conductorless Concerto Köln recordings originally on Teldec "Das Alte Werk".
Yeah, I know, I read the cover.  ;) I'll probably try the Masur at least once but the HIP string symphonies were the reason to buy.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27228 on: November 18, 2020, 12:19:50 AM »
I don't actually like Kurt Masur, and have no interest in his recordings (edit: referring to the ones in this box), but I don't own any set of the String Symphonies, and this one is $12, so why the heck not?

Yes, indeed. Masur is a one trick pony... he is uninteresting in anything else  (as far as I know), but his Mendelssohn with the Gewandhausorchester is something else!  You might actually like it...  :D

Q
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 12:21:33 AM by Que »

• Veteran member
« Reply #27229 on: November 18, 2020, 05:58:29 AM »

That Baker set is a gem!  I hope that you enjoy it.  I have a number of those Icon sets, are those going OOP?

PD

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #27230 on: November 18, 2020, 08:02:33 AM »
Yes, indeed. Masur is a one trick pony... he is uninteresting in anything else  (as far as I know), but his Mendelssohn with the Gewandhausorchester is something else!  You might actually like it...  :D

Q
Oh what luck, thank you!  :)

That Baker set is a gem!  I hope that you enjoy it.  I have a number of those Icon sets, are those going OOP?

PD
They are being priced like it certainly - the Baker Icon is only $10 now. Some of the Icon sets are becoming hard to find (like Alicia de Larrocha's). But it is speculation on my part. I think Warner is preparing to reissue some of the material with the newer artwork designs (more like the Mendelssohn box in that post).

EDIT: Oh, actually there is a definite example - the Guido Cantelli Icon box went out of print and Warner reissued it as a new box this year...

Offline T. D.

« Reply #27231 on: November 18, 2020, 08:09:54 AM »
I ordered this from Amazon, but have a feeling it'll be "out of stock". The other item in the order shipped by itself.

• Veteran member
« Reply #27232 on: November 18, 2020, 10:51:15 AM »
Oh what luck, thank you!  :)
They are being priced like it certainly - the Baker Icon is only $10 now. Some of the Icon sets are becoming hard to find (like Alicia de Larrocha's). But it is speculation on my part. I think Warner is preparing to reissue some of the material with the newer artwork designs (more like the Mendelssohn box in that post).

EDIT: Oh, actually there is a definite example - the Guido Cantelli Icon box went out of print and Warner reissued it as a new box this year...

Thanks
I ordered this from Amazon, but have a feeling it'll be "out of stock". The other item in the order shipped by itself.

Good choice!  That's been on my wish list for some time (a rec from a friend).  :)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #27233 on: November 18, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #27234 on: November 20, 2020, 07:40:00 PM »
Over the last 2 days

The Fitzwilliam is coming from Rarewaves so I don't expect to get it until at least Christmas.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Undersea

• Currently Listening to:
    Popular Operas
« Reply #27235 on: November 21, 2020, 10:50:45 PM »
Latest purchases:

Conor

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27236 on: November 22, 2020, 12:26:39 AM »
Latest purchases:

Nice, and welcome!  :)

Does Eloquence provide libretti (in pdf) with that?

Q

Offline Undersea

• Currently Listening to:
    Popular Operas
« Reply #27237 on: November 22, 2020, 05:24:23 PM »
Nice, and welcome!  :)

Does Eloquence provide libretti (in pdf) with that?

Q

Hello! :) - I don't know a lot about the set at the moment :-[ (Will be sure to post more about it when it arrives)...
The blurb didn't mention that the texts/Libretti were included for the buyer - I think there's probably not a CD-ROM with PDF's of those.
Conor

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #27238 on: November 22, 2020, 06:08:37 PM »
In LP days notes were at the back of the jacket. If Decca follows tradition the back covers may have been reproduced on each jacket. A magnifying lens will be useful  ;).

A very nice set to be sure. Rather expensive though  :-X

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #27239 on: November 23, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »
Recent arrival from presto:

I don't know much about Prokofiev as a song composer, but a very fine singer and a positive first liatening impression

Extremely fascinating music in a small scale format.

From recommendations here - a very fine introduction to Senfls relatively little known (to me at least) church music.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 03:37:19 AM by The new erato »