Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 11, 2021, 07:26:47 AM
You are in for a treat. These are outstanding in every way.
+1.

Bought at a local sale:

Initial listens to both seem very promising.

The new erato

Quote from: Que on January 17, 2021, 01:40:22 AM
Just ordered at Presto Music:

Trying to get used to Brexit. Instead of orderering all the items I want, I have to create small batches with a value, including shipping, of under €22. Basically a small set like this, or two single discs. The deduction of VAT by Presto makes up for the increased shipping costs.
So I don't pay taxes in the UK anymore, but spend it instead on postage.

And spend less in generall - because the time of larger box sets, or basically anything else I used to order from the UK, is over...

Q
Welcome to the world I have lived in for years. Have always bought big boxes occassionally, but tend to buy several boxes in one shipment twice a year. I don't mind buying VAT (VAT deduction for imports essentially means that foreign shops have an advantage to local shops), it's the handling fees that are really annoying. But I guess that inside the EU you paid UK VAT instead, Norway is outside the EU VAT regime.

Harry

Trying to get used to Brexit. Instead of orderering all the items I want, I have to create small batches with a value, including shipping, of under €22. Basically a small set like this, or two single discs. The deduction of VAT by Presto makes up for the increased shipping costs.

And spend less in generall - because the time of larger box sets, or basically anything else I used to order from the UK, is over...

Q

A fine set Que, and as to regards to ordering large batches of CD'S from the UK, that over for me too. And I am pissed about this, I can tell ya!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on January 17, 2021, 03:12:16 AM
+1.

Bought at a local sale:

Initial listens to both seem very promising.

The Rachmaninov is excellent, but I haven't heard the Dudamel.

Traverso

Q

The same for me.

André

Mirror Image

André

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 19, 2021, 04:01:44 PM

A great choice, which I'm sure you'll enjoy André - especially Symphony No.3.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Louis Couperin

At last this recording appears,we had to wait years for this one. :)

A fifth organ volume is still in preparation.

pjme

From a thrift shop 6 € : Martinu's Ariane

André

Quote from: vandermolen on January 19, 2021, 10:40:10 PM
A great choice, which I'm sure you'll enjoy André - especially Symphony No.3.

You mentioned the music very favourably, Jeffrey and at the time (not too long ago) that disc was quite expensive, so I passed. This week I stumbled upon it at a very affordable price !  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: pjme on January 20, 2021, 07:05:37 AM
From a thrift shop 6 € : Martinu's Ariane

Nice! I love that opera.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 20, 2021, 07:10:45 AM
You mentioned the music very favourably, Jeffrey and at the time (not too long ago) that disc was quite expensive, so I passed. This week I stumbled upon it at a very affordable price !  :)
Excellent my friend!  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Quote from: Traverso on January 20, 2021, 06:04:40 AM
Louis Couperin

At last this recording appears,we had to wait years for this one. :)

A fifth organ volume is still in preparation.

You beat me to it!  :)

vandermolen

I have cut down on my CD buying recently (honestly!) but I did order this CD mainly for Malcolm Williamson's final symphony (No. 7 for strings) although the samples that I heard of the other works sounded very promising:

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on January 21, 2021, 01:32:48 AM
I have cut down on my CD buying recently (honestly!) but I did order this CD mainly for Malcolm Williamson's final symphony (No. 7 for strings) although the samples that I heard of the other works sounded very promising:

Of course I tried that too, but resistance is futile, cutting down you will, but not on buying CD'S, addiction is stronger! :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

ritter

A release from a couple of years ago I somehow missed:

These are piano duo arrangements by Stravinsky himself of some of his works. An earlier release by the Bugallo-Williams piano duo included the well-known Sacre adaptation, but the really interesting pieces were remarkably successful reductions of the Dumbarton Oaks Concerto and the Septet. In this newer CD we get Petrouchka (an arrangement which I presume is for practical purposes and wouldn't compete with that bravura jewel that is the Trois mouvements), but what really piqued my interest is the two-piano Agon (as that  ballet is an eternal favourite of mine).

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on January 21, 2021, 01:02:21 PM
A release from a couple of years ago I somehow missed:

These are piano duo arrangements by Stravinsky himself of some of his works. An earlier release by the Bugallo-Williams piano duo included the well-known Sacre adaptation, but the really interesting pieces were remarkably successful reductions of the Dumbarton Oaks Concerto and the Septet. In this newer CD we get Petrouchka (an arrangement which I presume is for practical purposes and wouldn't compete with that bravura jewel that is the Trois mouvements), but what really piqued my interest is the two-piano Agon (as that  ballet is an eternal favourite of mine).

Nice! Do let me know what you think of that recording once you've had time to listen to it, Rafael.