Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 2928368 times)

bluemooze and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...brume au-dessus de l’eau...
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #28180 on: April 05, 2021, 10:08:45 AM »
While I agree that his style and whole musical language have considerably evolved, I find that this statement is somewhat contradictory. If it is more accessible, it should have broader acceptance and therefore be ‘interesting’ to a greater number of people. Conversely, those for whom it has become ‘a lot more uninteresting’ must think that its increased accessibility is a damnable fault. Hardcore avant-garde cognoscenti vs a broader public, then ?

A fair point. I personally wouldn’t say that accessibility is a flaw or a damnable fault. I mean I love the “Populist" Copland as much as the “Modernist” Copland, so I don’t think the change of style is something to be upset or discontented with as there were many composers who changed their style ---- some of them changed it overnight! I guess perhaps where I think I’m in agreement with Jan about is that Penderecki in his later compositions seemed to lack the kind of excitement and sense of discovery you’d get with his earlier, more avant-garde works.
“Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Online Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #28181 on: April 05, 2021, 10:35:56 AM »
While I agree that his style and whole musical language have considerably evolved, I find that this statement is somewhat contradictory. If it is more accessible, it should have broader acceptance and therefore be ‘interesting’ to a greater number of people. Conversely, those for whom it has become ‘a lot more uninteresting’ must think that its increased accessibility is a damnable fault. Hardcore avant-garde cognoscenti vs a broader public, then ?

I think that listeners who are "afraid" of Penderecki's music will not easily return to his music, even if it is more accessible, the image of difficult music remains and in their eyes tough meat that you better stay away from.
I think a lot of classical music fans are very conservative and are happy (and satisfied) with Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven and everything else from the so-called golden canon.
I have had a hard time conquering the modern classics, partly because of laziness and prejudice,
something that hopefully bother me less now.
I have a hunger for new music and I have to accept that there is a lot that I will not hear, especially since I do not want to part with the music of Mozart, Ockghem and many others, life is too short.  ;)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28182 on: April 05, 2021, 10:48:06 AM »

I think that listeners who are "afraid" of Penderecki's music will not easily return to his music, even if it is more accessible, the image of difficult music remains and in their eyes tough meat that you better stay away from.
I think a lot of classical music fans are very conservative and are happy (and satisfied) with Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven and everything else from the so-called golden canon.
I have had a hard time conquering the modern classics, partly because of laziness and prejudice,
I have a hunger for new music and I have to accept that there is a lot that I will not hear, especially since I do not want to part with the music of Mozart, Ockghem and many others, life is too short.  ;)

It still amazes me the amount of people who are scared or just don’t have ears for the Second Viennese School, especially nowadays. You’d think that, collectively, our ears would be able to expand beyond the confines of our own limitations and prejudices, but, no, it still happens and it may be even more widespread now.

Offline DavidW

« Reply #28183 on: April 05, 2021, 11:23:38 AM »
Scared and afraid are not the right words.  The word you're looking for is averse.

would be able to expand beyond the confines of our own limitations and prejudices,

I think I hate this description.  Nobody would even listen to classical music if they were not able to explore music that sounds very different from what is played on the radio, requires a long attention span and a certain degree of focus.  Please let's not start describing people that don't like modern music the way that you just did.  It certainly doesn't fit them at all.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28184 on: April 05, 2021, 12:07:31 PM »
I think I hate this description.  Nobody would even listen to classical music if they were not able to explore music that sounds very different from what is played on the radio, requires a long attention span and a certain degree of focus.  Please let's not start describing people that don't like modern music the way that you just did.  It certainly doesn't fit them at all.

True, I was painting with a broad brush, but I won’t belabor my point any further.

Online Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #28185 on: April 05, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »
True, I was painting with a broad brush, but I won’t belabor my point any further.

I knew it,I knew it........ :D

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28186 on: April 05, 2021, 12:34:15 PM »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28187 on: April 06, 2021, 05:34:19 AM »
This CD just arrived today.

I saw it posted here somewhere quite recently. I thought then, Dvorak chamber music performed by the Panocha Quartet and recorded on Supraphon so what is not to like here? I will find out soon enough.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #28188 on: April 06, 2021, 05:37:06 AM »
Acquired my second, third, fourth, and fifth Reicha discs (following a one-off album of wind quintets):

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28189 on: April 06, 2021, 05:37:33 AM »

Hi Jan, It is interesting the way some of Life’s journeys change. I am getting old now but since I was a very young man my musical taste was very much rooted in the Baroque and the Classical eras. That is still mostly the case. However, in recent years, as I grew older, my desire to experience newer music took me to music that I would definitely not have listened to 20 years ago. And what is more, I enjoy it. Perhaps it is a more mature palette in my case but the same applies, I find to my surprise, to a greater appreciation also for Modern Art, as I grow older. I find it an interesting and somewhat fascinating change in myself.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Online Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #28190 on: April 06, 2021, 07:38:17 AM »

Hi Jan, It is interesting the way some of Life’s journeys change. I am getting old now but since I was a very young man my musical taste was very much rooted in the Baroque and the Classical eras. That is still mostly the case. However, in recent years, as I grew older, my desire to experience newer music took me to music that I would definitely not have listened to 20 years ago. And what is more, I enjoy it. Perhaps it is a more mature palette in my case but the same applies, I find to my surprise, to a greater appreciation also for Modern Art, as I grow older. I find it an interesting and somewhat fascinating change in myself.

It is clear that it enriches your life and gives it more color, it is certainly fascinating against the background that the improbable takes place.
The improbable is hearing meaning in something that was previously incoherent.
What is the meaning of life when we stop learning.  :)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28191 on: April 06, 2021, 11:40:31 AM »

It is clear that it enriches your life and gives it more color, it is certainly fascinating against the background that the improbable takes place.
The improbable is hearing meaning in something that was previously incoherent.
What is the meaning of life when we stop learning.  :)

That is one of the things that I like about you, Jan. You think deeply about stuff.  :)

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28192 on: April 07, 2021, 02:13:48 AM »
Just ordered:

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #28193 on: April 07, 2021, 07:22:49 AM »
Arrived today from Amazon Italy, this box with 25 CD'S. Yay!
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #28194 on: April 08, 2021, 05:35:13 AM »
Recently ordered from europadisc:

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #28195 on: April 08, 2021, 04:54:33 PM »
Recently ordered from europadisc:

Thank you for jogging my memory with the Weber CD, which I just ordered via Amazon MP.
Also ordered this, hat tip to Iota

And ordered this last night. Hat tip to Harry

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #28196 on: April 09, 2021, 12:04:18 AM »
A release that caught my interest firstly because of the organ and secondly this composer.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #28197 on: April 09, 2021, 03:56:55 AM »

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #28198 on: April 09, 2021, 04:53:06 AM »
Interesting, that it seems to be a Pyonyang-based ensemble ... one doesn't in any way associate North Korea with any sort of recent modernist, classical or advanced music, though of course there's some propaganda value in this composer's story. I wonder if there's any programming of 20-21st century classical there. Maybe some folkish Bartok and Shosty at times. But who knows ...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:56:01 AM by MusicTurner »

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Cesar Franck, or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine
« Reply #28199 on: April 09, 2021, 07:06:42 AM »
Purchases from a few weeks ago (not all has arrived yet)