Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on April 09, 2021, 09:10:49 AM
My main problems were a missing timpani stroke 1 minute in, and the fast slow movement, although lately I've come around to liking the slow movement a little bit faster than I used to. Still mad about that missing timpani!

I'll have to re-listen again for that missing timpani stroke.

Brian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 09, 2021, 09:12:24 AM
I'll have to re-listen again for that missing timpani stroke.
Or don't  ;D ;D

j winter

Just ordered this bargain box... most of this is new music for me, other than Peer Gynt, the Piano Concerto, and some of the lyric pieces...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

The new erato

Quote from: Brian on April 09, 2021, 09:10:49 AM
My main problems were a missing timpani stroke 1 minute in, and the fast slow movement, although lately I've come around to liking the slow movement a little bit faster than I used to. Still mad about that missing timpani!

Buy your own timpani and whack away!

Brian

Quote from: The new erato on April 09, 2021, 09:41:59 AM
Buy your own timpani and whack away!
;D a.k.a. The Hurwitz Solution!

-

From ArkivMusic's 15% off the whole site sale:

$170 shipped - not bad at all.

Madiel

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 09, 2021, 08:26:16 AM
I have not explored Dvorak's solo piano music yet.  That might be a next year project.  :D

I recommend Poroshina on Brilliant. I think she makes the most of the music.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Quote from: j winter on April 09, 2021, 09:16:56 AM
Just ordered this bargain box... most of this is new music for me, other than Peer Gynt, the Piano Concerto, and some of the lyric pieces...

Looks like an interesting collection/selection. :)

Q

Mirror Image

Bought the other night:

Andrei's (Florestan) memorial to his father (may he rest in peace), reminded me that I was missing the third volume of this Fauré series. The Ligeti I simply wanted another recording as I only own Aimard's performances. I read Driver does a great job in this work.

Brian

David, once in college while working a shift at the student newspaper I played that Dausgaard Beethoven Eroica four times in a row. That was 11 years ago and I'm sure I couldn't do the same thing now  ;D Petrenko's DSCH 9 and 10 are my top picks for those symphonies, and his 6 and 11 aren't far behind. Only 5 let me down in that cycle.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on April 11, 2021, 01:23:56 PM
Petrenko's DSCH 9 and 10 are my top picks for those symphonies, and his 6 and 11 aren't far behind. Only 5 let me down in that cycle.

I agree, Brian. The 5th is not the greatest in that set. 9 and 10 are magnificent, and so is 4 and 14. A great overall set, though I know some that find it lukewarm.

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on April 11, 2021, 01:23:56 PM
David, once in college while working a shift at the student newspaper I played that Dausgaard Beethoven Eroica four times in a row. That was 11 years ago and I'm sure I couldn't do the same thing now  ;D Petrenko's DSCH 9 and 10 are my top picks for those symphonies, and his 6 and 11 aren't far behind. Only 5 let me down in that cycle.

It is one of my favorite Eroicas!  I'm becoming a big Dausgaard fan.

However, for Petrenko I'm not in general a fan, but I love his DSCH symphony cycle.

flyingdutchman

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 09, 2021, 08:19:24 AM
And now onto the Dvořák project I am currently and somewhat unexpectedly finding myself on.   :laugh:  I don't think I have ever binged quite as much on one single composer in one shot, all at the same time.  I blame a combination of David Hurwitz, Brian, Florestan, Vers la flame, and a few others for this surge of interest in this composer.  Just ordered these seven within the last week or so, and only the Naxos box has come in so far.  Just starting to listen to the Gunzenhauser symphonies (so far, fairly impressed with most of what I have heard, but with a glaring exception for the 4th and 8th symphonies - they are terrible!:o

Here goes:

Find the Constantin Silvestri versions of 7-9. They really are quite special.

Brian

Quote from: flyingdutchman on April 11, 2021, 04:22:34 PM

Find the Constantin Silvestri versions of 7-9. They really are quite special.
This is true, if the Silvestri EMI Icon box is still available anywhere under $50 everyone who likes orchestral music needs to own it. Totally dazzling on every single disc.

Mirror Image

Pre-ordered the new Stravinsky Bernstein set:

Fritz Kobus

André

Quote from: Brian on April 11, 2021, 06:09:31 PM
This is true, if the Silvestri EMI Icon box is still available anywhere under $50 everyone who likes orchestral music needs to own it. Totally dazzling on every single disc.

Indeed, a great set with not a dud and a few 'best ever' performances.

JBS

Ordered off Amazon MP over the weekend

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Harry

I ordered today with JPC de, and encountered the same problems with the Creditcard as Que and others. Despite the fact that I did everything they asked for, their new firm for handling my payment did not credit my card. And I seem not to be the only one. I have sent them an email with some questions, but I doubt they come up with a logical answer, so I activated my paypal account, to get the following CD's for 5,99€ a piece. Ondine is on sale, 108 titles, hurry all.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Part II
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."