Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Great big giant Grumiaux box arrived today! It's pretty huge. Swanky design on the discs and sleeves, good booklet with a full discography by composer and by date. The booklet also includes a selection of the original album cover artwork, since there isn't any on the sleeves. Sadly no reproduction of the original cover art for CD23, a disc where Grumiaux plays violin sonatas with piano accompaniment by... himself!!

Listened to Paganini and Saint-Saens today.

Going to have to figure out how to get Decca to send a replacement of the known to be defective CD 44/45 combo.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on April 17, 2021, 07:11:35 PMGoing to have to figure out how to get Decca to send a replacement of the known to be defective CD 44/45 combo.

Good luck with that! I have tried and tried to get in contact with Warner Classics about the defective disc in their Debussy Complete Works set (the disc with the piano arrangement of Le Martyre de saint Sébastien with pianist Alice Ader). I have sent them two messages to no avail.

Que

Catching up with the series that miraculously survived Naïve's bankruptcy in 2016:

ritter

Having been very favourably impressed by Olivier Chauzu's recording of Albéniz's Iberia, I've just ordered this CD of him playing music by Gustave Samazeuilh (a composer completely new to me).

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on April 18, 2021, 06:39:27 AM
Having been very favourably impressed by Olivier Chauzu's recording of Albéniz's Iberia, I've just ordered this CD of him playing music by Gustave Samazeuilh (a composer completely new to me).

Gustave Samazeuilh, eh? Say that three times fast. ;)

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 18, 2021, 06:40:48 AM
Gustave Samazeuilh, eh? Say that three times fast. ;)

I'll give you the Romanian transliteration, John, three times fast: Ghiustav Samazeoi, Ghiustav Samazeoi, Ghiustav Samazeoi.

Theere, say it yourself! ;)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on April 18, 2021, 06:50:53 AM
I'll give you the Romanian transliteration, John, three times fast: Ghiustav Samazeoi, Ghiustav Samazeoi, Ghiustav Samazeoi.

Theere, say it yourself! ;)

I'm still struggling with Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji. :P

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 18, 2021, 06:57:05 AM
I'm still struggling with Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji. :P

Piece of cake, John, piece of cake for us Romanians: Caihosru Şapurgi Sorabgi. :P

(Joke aside, that is the exact Romanian transliteration --- any literate Romanian will pronounce it correctly at first sight.  :) )
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on April 18, 2021, 07:18:34 AM
Piece of cake, John, piece of cake for us Romanians: Caihosru Şapurgi Sorabgi. :P

(Joke aside, that is the exact Romanian transliteration --- any literate Romanian will pronounce it correctly at first sight.  :) )

???  ;D

André

The CD edition (couldn't find a clean picture of it).

Madiel

Some languages have managed to not totally wreck their sound system the way that English did.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Wanderer

Joke aside...

It's amazing how the English managed to turn the alphabet's vowels into an arcane mess of diphthongs and as a result find a simple, straightforward word like Sorabji difficult to pronounce.

aligreto

Strauss: Four Last Songs sung by Isokoski

I had her take on these works on line and I simply had to have the CD.

André

Quote from: Wanderer on April 18, 2021, 10:25:29 PM
It's amazing how the English managed to turn the alphabet's vowels into an arcane mess of diphthongs and as a result find a simple, straightforward word like Sorabji difficult to pronounce.

Yup. Mind boggling sometimes. Pronouncing an o or an i is an exercise in frustration. Like in 'bow', 'cow', 'clove', 'glove',   'precise', 'precision' - and so on - there are so many pitfalls.

vandermolen

Bloch:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on April 19, 2021, 04:37:31 AM
Strauss: Four Last Songs sung by Isokoski

I had her take on these works on line and I simply had to have the CD.

I don't own this recording, but it looks lovely. Isokoski has a gorgeous voice.

Sergeant Rock

Arrived today, recommended by Vandermolen.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Just bought:

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 19, 2021, 06:30:09 AM
Arrived today, recommended by Vandermolen.

Sarge
Great disc! You won't regret it Sarge.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan