Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 3035641 times)

SonicMan46 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    The museum of musical modernism
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #28480 on: May 05, 2021, 05:54:28 AM »
Of course, I blame you as I was first introduced to Varese on your French Music Thread  ;)

Hmmm….

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
    Romantic Era through the 20th Century
« Reply #28481 on: May 05, 2021, 05:57:55 AM »
Varese: Boulez

Arrived this morning.

Personally, I’m more excited about the prospect of you getting into the Second Viennese School. When you do, we’ll have a lot to talk about, Fergus.
“Competitions are for horses; not artists.” - Béla Bartók

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28482 on: May 05, 2021, 06:02:34 AM »
Personally, I’m more excited about the prospect of you getting into the Second Viennese School. When you do, we’ll have a lot to talk about, Fergus.

Small steps, John, but I look forward to it.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28483 on: May 05, 2021, 06:05:22 AM »
Small steps, John, but I look forward to it.

Yes, indeed. Next thing we know, you’ll be listening to Ligeti. ;D

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28484 on: May 05, 2021, 06:23:57 AM »
Yes, indeed. Next thing we know, you’ll be listening to Ligeti. ;D

That sounds like a challenge  ;D
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28485 on: May 05, 2021, 06:29:04 AM »

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #28486 on: May 05, 2021, 06:43:06 AM »
That sounds like a challenge  ;D

I think you might be surprised  how accessible some pieces are and ...... excitingly beautiful.  :) Boulez is a harder nut to crack.  ???

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28487 on: May 05, 2021, 06:46:59 AM »
I think you might be surprised  how accessible some pieces are and ...... excitingly beautiful.  :) Boulez is a harder nut to crack.  ???

Boulez can be a difficult composer for sure, but I think Fergus should save him for later. When I finally got around to Boulez, I was actually ready for the music as I had already heard so much from Scelsi, Berio, Xenakis, Ligeti, Carter, etc. Boulez for me is like the missing link between Debussy and Webern. There’s a sensuality in his music but there’s also a certain cool detachment. This is just my own perspective of course.

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
    The museum of musical modernism
« Reply #28488 on: May 05, 2021, 07:01:46 AM »
Boulez can be a difficult composer for sure, but I think Fergus should save him for later. When I finally got around to Boulez, I was actually ready for the music as I had already heard so much from Scelsi, Berio, Xenakis, Ligeti, Carter, etc. Boulez for me is like the missing link between Debussy and Webern. There’s a sensuality in his music but there’s also a certain cool detachment. This is just my own perspective of course.

I started on Varese and Ligeti without the disadvantage of having listened to earlier classical music first. ;)

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #28489 on: May 05, 2021, 07:05:30 AM »
I started on Varese and Ligeti without the disadvantage of having listened to earlier classical music first. ;)

There are always exceptions, for mere mortals it is obvious to start at the bottom of the stairs.  ;)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28490 on: May 05, 2021, 07:44:48 AM »

Well, it’s certainly easier for some to start with post-war avant-garde than with Mahler or Shostakovich. :)

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #28491 on: May 05, 2021, 11:57:54 PM »
Some Ondine sent from europadisc:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:59:50 PM by The new erato »

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #28492 on: May 06, 2021, 12:04:12 AM »
And some stuff from presto:

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28493 on: May 06, 2021, 12:42:40 AM »
I think you might be surprised  how accessible some pieces are and ...... excitingly beautiful.  :)

Cheers, Jan. I do not fear such music. I just need to build up my knowledge of the musical language and sound world a lot of this music inhabits. I do not want to come to it unprepared, if you like, for fear of dismissing it out of my own ignorance.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #28494 on: May 06, 2021, 12:48:35 AM »
Cheers, Jan. I do not fear such music. I just need to build up my knowledge of the musical language and sound world a lot of this music inhabits. I do not want to come to it unprepared, if you like, for fear of dismissing it out of my own ignorance.
In whatever one does, context is everything.

I have a feeling I would have liked much more jazz, if I had had the time.....but one needs to have some priorities, and classical music and wine takes up my time and monies..... :o And an interest in European history.

To my surprise, after seeing all 3 seasons of Netflix' "Drive to survive", I watch formula 1 with great interest.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:02:02 AM by The new erato »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28495 on: May 06, 2021, 12:52:16 AM »
In whatever one does, context is everything.

I have a feeling I would have liked much more jazz, if I had had the time.....but one needs to have som priorities, and classical music and wine takes up my time and monies..... :o And an interest in European history.

To my surprise, after seeing all 3 seasons of Netflix' "Drive to survive", I watch forlua 1 with great interest.

It is surprising the paths Life can sometimes lead one down.
Also, I am certainly no aficionado in either field but I can certainly confirm that jazz and wine make good companions  ;D

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28496 on: May 06, 2021, 01:41:47 AM »
Some Ondine sent from europadisc:

I quite enjoyed that one!  :)

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #28497 on: May 06, 2021, 03:18:57 AM »
Lukas Ligeti: That Which Has Remained...That Which Will Emerge... (2021) - The latest from the percussionist and composer (son of György), created in Warsaw, with references to memories of his family.

https://www.col-legno.com/en/shop/20452-lukas-ligeti-that-which-has-remained

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #28498 on: May 06, 2021, 12:45:46 PM »
From Disco 100 in Barcelona (one of the few remaining truly great CD stores in Europe I’m aware of):

Juan José Castro was one of the leading musical figures in Argentina in the 20th century (with a close connection to Manuel de Falla in his Argentinian exile). Martin Fierro is the literary creation of the gauchesco style, so I suppose this work will be strongly nationalistic. What I know to date by Castro so far (his piano music and, most particularly, an orchestral piece in memory of Falla) has been interesting. This Argentinian release from the late 90s is a real rarity.

First approach to Widor (as I’m not into organ music, I suppose I won’t be exploring this composer in depth).

Further exploring Caplet (not quite convinced by this composer from what I’ve listened to so far).

This ASV CD (later reissued by Naxos) includes some Milhaud songs I don’t know. I saw soprano Carole Farley live as Salome in Caracas some 40 years ago now, so there’s also some nostalgia involved here.

All these Malipiero works will be new to me.

For the Introduzione, Corale e Marcia, op. 57 (I already know the other Casella works on this CD, although it’ll be nice to have another recording of the Symphony No. 3).

As is almost invariably the case, you need to add yet another recording of La tragédie de Salomé to your collection to get access to other pieces by Florent Schmitt (I do know Oriane—full ballet, as opposed to the suite presented here—from a broadcast recording conducted by Martinon on Forgotten Records). 

ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Je me suis rarement perdu de vue ; je me suis détesté, je me suis adoré ; puis, nous avons vieilli ensemble. »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #28499 on: May 06, 2021, 12:59:45 PM »
Martin Fierro is the literary creation of the gauchesco style

This reminds me that I've bought this book:

many moons ago yet never got around reading it.

Must I?  ???
What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff