Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 2990917 times)

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #28500 on: May 06, 2021, 01:08:21 PM »
This reminds me that I've bought this book:

many moons ago yet never got around reading it.

Must I?  ???
I don’t have the foggiest idea, Andrei. I’ve heard of that book, but never read it (and am unlikely to do so anytime soon).

Un abrazo desde la ciudad condal....
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
«Ognuno sta solo sul cuor della terra
trafitto da un raggio di sole:
ed è subito sera.»

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #28501 on: May 06, 2021, 04:05:05 PM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #28502 on: May 06, 2021, 07:19:04 PM »
Just bought:

I already owned a good bit of Schreker in my collection, but mainly of works like Kammersymphonie, Vorspiel zu einem Drama et. al.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 07:30:59 PM by Mirror Image »
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
« Reply #28503 on: May 07, 2021, 03:54:37 AM »

I already have the above two on DVD, but the local CD store has a sale on the Blu-rays and… you know where this is going.

More purchases:

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
« Reply #28504 on: May 07, 2021, 04:01:16 AM »
From Disco 100 in Barcelona (one of the few remaining truly great CD stores in Europe I’m aware of):

Thanks for that, noted. Any recommended classical CD stores in Madrid? I may visit next year.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #28505 on: May 07, 2021, 06:02:12 AM »
Just bought:

“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Online "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #28506 on: May 07, 2021, 06:36:28 AM »
ordered
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #28507 on: May 07, 2021, 11:50:36 AM »
Thanks for that, noted. Any recommended classical CD stores in Madrid? I may visit next year.
Unfortunately, there’s nothing of the same calibre in Madrid. La Quinta de Mahler (on Calle Galileo) has some off-the-beaten-track things on small labels. Their previous store (in the old town, close to the opera house) was charming, but the new one is much less alluring. There’s also Sinfonía on Calle Fernando el Católico (not far from  La Quinta de Mahler), which stocks many OOP releases. Then there’s La Metralleta (in Plaza de las Descalzas, near Puerta del Sol), which deals in second-hand stuff (very disorganised, but sometimes one can find real jewels). Nearby FNAC has a small classical section. That’s about it....
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:57:03 PM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
«Ognuno sta solo sul cuor della terra
trafitto da un raggio di sole:
ed è subito sera.»

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28508 on: May 07, 2021, 01:13:32 PM »
Unfortunately, there’s nothing of the same calibre in Madrid. La Quinta de Mahler (on Calle Galileo) has some off-the-beaten-track things on small labels. There previous store (in the old town, close to the opera house) was charming, but the new one is much less alluring. There’s also Sinfonía on Calle Fernando el Católico (not far from  La Quinta de Mahler), which stocks many OOP stuff. Then there’s La Metralleta (in Plaza de las Descalzas, near Puerta del Sol), which deals in second-hand stuff (very disorganised, but sometimes one can find real jewels). Nearby FNAC has a small classical section. That’s about it....

That's a LOT by today's standards!  :o

I guess to high level of access to the internet in the Netherlands has its price...
The only times I see the inside of a proper Classical CD store these days, is on holiday in other countries.. ::)

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #28509 on: May 07, 2021, 05:32:10 PM »

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #28510 on: May 07, 2021, 09:47:12 PM »

I guess to high level of access to the internet in the Netherlands has its price...
The only times I see the inside of a proper Classical CD store these days, is on holiday in other countries.. ::)
There's one store with any significant classical selection in Norway, LAWO store in the Oslo Concert house. They are online as well, and I use them from time to time.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 07:14:02 AM by The new erato »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #28511 on: May 08, 2021, 06:58:47 AM »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28512 on: May 08, 2021, 08:17:11 AM »
There's one store with any significant classical selection in Norway, LAWO store in the Oslo Concert house. They are online as well, and I use them from time to time.

Of all major Dutch cities Amsterdam is the last with a store with a Classical section. Which turned out to be downsized (halfed) on my last visit and looking a ghost of its former self - keeping afloat on new issues and 2nd hand stuff.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #28513 on: May 08, 2021, 09:09:03 AM »
Of all major Dutch cities Amsterdam is the last with a store with a Classical section. Which turned out to be downsized (halfed) on my last visit and looking a ghost of its former self - keeping afloat on new issues and 2nd hand stuff.

Whatever happened to Kruidvaat? I have fond memories of them.  :)

In Romania there are three major bookstore chains with small classical sections, at least in Bucharest --- and that's about it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 09:11:23 AM by Florestan »
What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff

Online Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #28514 on: May 08, 2021, 10:36:11 AM »

In Romania there are three major bookstore chains with small classical sections, at least in Bucharest --- and that's about it.

You have to use google translate   :D

https://www.rd.nl/artikel/638507-pieter-van-winkel-speurt-naar-muziek-die-verrast

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #28515 on: May 08, 2021, 11:55:13 AM »
Of all major Dutch cities Amsterdam is the last with a store with a Classical section. Which turned out to be downsized (halfed) on my last visit ...

Gosh  ??? Did you really purchase half of their stock? Or were you in company with Harry?
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28516 on: May 08, 2021, 12:22:08 PM »
Gosh  ??? Did you really purchase half of their stock? Or were you in company with Harry?

Naturally Harry beat me to it!  :laugh:

Offline flyingdutchman

« Reply #28517 on: May 08, 2021, 02:14:43 PM »
As I look at all the discs you guys buy, it always gives me the chance to see if each disc is at Qobuz. Not all are, but having you all as resources I can load up on a lot of music (and I have).  Love Qobuz.

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
« Reply #28518 on: May 08, 2021, 09:54:50 PM »
Unfortunately, there’s nothing of the same calibre in Madrid. La Quinta de Mahler (on Calle Galileo) has some off-the-beaten-track things on small labels. Their previous store (in the old town, close to the opera house) was charming, but the new one is much less alluring. There’s also Sinfonía on Calle Fernando el Católico (not far from  La Quinta de Mahler), which stocks many OOP releases. Then there’s La Metralleta (in Plaza de las Descalzas, near Puerta del Sol), which deals in second-hand stuff (very disorganised, but sometimes one can find real jewels). Nearby FNAC has a small classical section. That’s about it....

Thanks for the detailed listing! Saved for when the time comes.  8)

It is, indeed.

Athens still holds on to a cluster of classical music/CD stores at the “Stoa of the Opera”, a galleria/covered passage inside the former Greek Opera building (now the Municipal Music Theatre of Athens), very conveniently (for me) situated across the street from the Athens Bar Association. There used to be five (or four?) of them, one either next to or across the other, there are now three remaining. Between them they stock (almost?) all major and independent labels. One of them, in particular, even manages to be competitively-priced compared to amazon (which did not use to be the case). The stoa/galleria also houses a small number of other quirky shops, including Athens’ main (and perhaps only?) philotelic store, as well as an arthouse cinema (of which there are several in the area).

In Athens there’s only one major bookstore chain that still maintains a husk of a classical section, by no means comprehensive and, of course, eternally shrinking. My last visits had been pre-corona, idly browsing before going to a nearby cinema. There used to be instances when one could find the occasional underpriced new release or an OOP gem in mint condition, but it usually just stocked overpriced new releases from major labels and Andrea Bocelli albums.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 11:57:21 PM by Wanderer »

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
« Reply #28519 on: May 08, 2021, 09:58:43 PM »

No stock on Earth can resist the onslaught from a dedicated GMG’er, let alone two.