Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 3039572 times)

North Star and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Romantic Era through the 20th Century
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #28800 on: June 09, 2021, 03:54:34 PM »
Jeffrey (Vandermolen) can advise you as well.  ;D

Oh? I didn’t know he was a Gilbert & Sullivan fan.
“Competitions are for horses; not artists.” - Béla Bartók

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28801 on: June 09, 2021, 03:55:22 PM »
Good purchase. I can confidently say that all the quartets contain tremendous music.

I, too, need to track this set down. I’ve read many good things about them and not just here on GMG.

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #28802 on: June 09, 2021, 04:44:44 PM »
Cool, Conor. 8) I don’t know their music well at all, but if you or anyone else would like to recommend some Gilbert & Sullivan, then please don’t hesitate!

+1 on recommendations, please.
I've seen a fair amount of G & S live, but don't own any recordings.
My tastes run more to "authentic-" or "Savoy-" style patter songs, which might point to older releases. Modern productions that update the patter with references to current political figures and the like are amusing, but not something I'd care to listen to over and over again at home.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 04:50:49 PM by T. D. »

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #28803 on: June 09, 2021, 04:46:42 PM »

I'll be astonished if you don't like that Thalberg set.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #28804 on: June 09, 2021, 04:50:12 PM »
I, too, need to track this set down. I’ve read many good things about them and not just here on GMG.

I had it in my discogs "want list" for months before any offer came up. But the first one that appeared was reasonable, 18 Euros shipped, which I readily paid given the enthusiastic comments on the forum.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28805 on: June 09, 2021, 05:45:37 PM »
I had it in my discogs "want list" for months before any offer came up. But the first one that appeared was reasonable, 18 Euros shipped, which I readily paid given the enthusiastic comments on the forum.

Very nice. Hope you enjoy the set. Do let us know how you get on with them.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #28806 on: June 10, 2021, 01:34:46 AM »
I have very little Kodály in my collection, and recent activity in the relevant composer thread led me to sample the Peacock-Variations and the Psalmus Hungaricus on YouTube. I really liked what I heard, so ordered this (used):

ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Je me suis rarement perdu de vue ; je me suis détesté, je me suis adoré ; puis, nous avons vieilli ensemble. »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #28807 on: June 10, 2021, 02:59:30 AM »
I'll be astonished if you don't like that Thalberg set.

Thalberg is one of my favorite piano music composers and I already had two of the CDs, so when I saw that box I went for it without hesitation.
"Melody is the essence of music."  --- Mozart

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #28808 on: June 10, 2021, 03:02:52 AM »
I have very little Kodály in my collection, and recent activity in the relevant composer thread led me to sample the Peacock-Variations and the Psalmus Hungaricus on YouTube. I really liked what I heard, so ordered this (used):

that's a very good disc....

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #28809 on: June 10, 2021, 03:43:43 AM »
Cool, Conor. 8) I don’t know their music well at all, but if you or anyone else would like to recommend some Gilbert & Sullivan, then please don’t hesitate!

Speaking as a rehearsal pianist who has played 2 of the most famous shows in full and bits of others, I can tell you the music is marvellous and Sullivan was incredibly good at working out how to support the voice. What I can't tell you is whether there are particularly good performances of it.  I was gifted the "classic" performances from when only the one company could legally perform them, but the sound quality is poor.

If you do ever get into Gilbert and Sullivan, though, you simply must supplement your collection with Anna Russell's How to write your own Gilbert and Sullivan opera.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28810 on: June 10, 2021, 05:21:36 AM »
Speaking as a rehearsal pianist who has played 2 of the most famous shows in full and bits of others, I can tell you the music is marvellous and Sullivan was incredibly good at working out how to support the voice. What I can't tell you is whether there are particularly good performances of it.  I was gifted the "classic" performances from when only the one company could legally perform them, but the sound quality is poor.

If you do ever get into Gilbert and Sullivan, though, you simply must supplement your collection with Anna Russell's How to write your own Gilbert and Sullivan opera.

Thanks for the feedback, Madiel. I’ll keep your thoughts in mind.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28811 on: June 10, 2021, 05:22:56 AM »

Nice, Rafael. Would never have thought you to be a fan of this composer since it seems you’re mostly into French, Spanish, German-Austrian and Italian music.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #28812 on: June 10, 2021, 09:11:27 AM »
Jeffrey (Vandermolen) can advise you as well.  ;D
HAHAHA  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #28813 on: June 10, 2021, 10:33:12 AM »
Europa has a sale on Oehms, Hyperion, and Helios, sooooo

Really excited by the collection of Checkmate (Bliss), Facade (Walton), and Horoscope (Lambert).
The unreadable one is classical concertos for two clarinets and orchestra.

Plus also - not pictured because even more unreadable - three discs of the piano music of Cécile Chaminade. Peter Jacobs at piano.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #28814 on: June 10, 2021, 04:40:26 PM »
I think I have only one recording of these works, so time to get a recording of it that isn't almost as old as I am (Beaux Arts Trio, recorded when I was a fourth grader)

Includes the two one movement pieces for piano trio.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #28815 on: June 10, 2021, 05:23:06 PM »
Oh gosh! The Schubert piano trios are so amazing. You'll get sucked in and want to collect. I love the Beaux Arts and am intrigued by the look of that one; also own the Weithaas-Hecker-Helmchen recording of No. 2 on Alpha (great and with the original ridiculously long but wonderful finale), and the movie Phantom Thread which makes wonderful use of the trios as well.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #28816 on: June 10, 2021, 05:47:17 PM »
Oh gosh! The Schubert piano trios are so amazing. You'll get sucked in and want to collect. I love the Beaux Arts and am intrigued by the look of that one; also own the Weithaas-Hecker-Helmchen recording of No. 2 on Alpha (great and with the original ridiculously long but wonderful finale), and the movie Phantom Thread which makes wonderful use of the trios as well.

I also have my eye on the Trio Wanderer recording.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #28817 on: June 10, 2021, 05:50:50 PM »
I also have my eye on the Trio Wanderer recording.
Me too. (And their Schumann.) They can do little wrong in my mind.

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #28818 on: June 10, 2021, 05:53:16 PM »

The cover art is so cool and hip!  :o

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #28819 on: June 10, 2021, 06:56:15 PM »

I looked around a bit, and it's damned complicated. Does one want all the dialogue? Historical recordings? Stereo sound? Remasters? And availability of many releases seems sketchy.

I don't really want a big box...I think that for either Pirates of Penzance (the work I'm most familiar with) or The Mikado, I'll try Mackerras (who seems a solid modern choice, albeit apparently sans dialogue and with some cuts) and a D'Oyly Carte recording with dialogue (either '50s or '60s vintage, subject to further research). Individual Mackerras releases seem available cheaply; there was a UK box set but I didn't notice any offerings. The menu of D'Oyly Carte CDs is confusing, and I'm having trouble discerning whether dialogue is included (Amazon data has become so garbled that one can't assume the displayed reviews pertain to the recording being examined!).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:59:22 PM by T. D. »