Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I've been in the market for another recording of Preludes & Fugues and Karlo (North Star) recommended the Ashkenazy to me. I did a broad sampling of this performance and I concur --- it's excellent. The other recording (also with Ashkenazy at the piano) was a no-brainer as it was recorded with the Fitzwilliam Quartet, but also has Söderström in the Seven Romances.

Also bought:

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 14, 2021, 01:40:02 AM
I heard the Cello Concertino by Weinberg on the car radio the other day and thought it great. As with Bliss's Cello Concerto (originally 'Concertino') the diminutive title doesn't do the work full justice:

I believe the Concertino was the "preliminary form" of his ineffably beautiful Cello Concerto. If you don't know the latter, you must hear it! It's a more long-breathed and convincing working-out of the ideas presented in the Concertino.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 15, 2021, 05:55:12 PM
Just bought:

I've been in the market for another recording of Preludes & Fugues and Karlo (North Star) recommended the Ashkenazy to me. I did a broad sampling of this performance and I concur --- it's excellent. The other recording (also with Ashkenazy at the piano) was a no-brainer as it was recorded with the Fitzwilliam Quartet, but also has Söderström in the Seven Romances.

Also bought:

That Ashkenazy set is wonderful the same  goes for Rusalka  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on June 16, 2021, 09:01:51 AM
That Ashkenazy set is wonderful the same  goes for Rusalka  :)

Excellent to read, Jan. 8) I was in the market for another Rusalka as I only have Neumann's. With Mackerras at the helm, it should be very good. Yes, I'm looking forward to the Ashkenazy set of Preludes & Fugues, which must be counted as one of my favorite solo piano works from any composer.

j winter

Picked this up on the cheap, it'll be my first acquaintance with Schubert's early quartets.  Greatly enjoying Disc 1 -- charming music   :).

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Karl Henning

Quote from: "Harry" on June 15, 2021, 09:20:45 AM
That's a fine Purchase Karl, you will enjoy it immensely, I know I did.!

I am sure of it, Harry, hoe gaat het met jou?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 15, 2021, 10:39:32 AM
Just bought:

After the high praise Suitner's Dvořák received from various members here, I decided it was time I take the plunge, but instead of buying the box set, I opted for these Japanese reissues. Plus, I think the box sets don't contain the bonus couplings you get with some of these individual recordings like Carnival et. al.

Interesting, I don't think I knew there were single-disc options available. I'll have to compare what you get. Suitner is one of my possibilities for a cycle (partly to cover symphonies 1 to 3 if I so choose, as I only have 4 to 9 in my collection).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 16, 2021, 12:28:51 PM
I am sure of it, Harry, hoe gaat het met jou?

I am good Karl, overcoming a few maladies, and physical unpleasant occurrences, but those come with age, as you might well know. And you, how are you recovering?
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on June 17, 2021, 04:09:20 AM
Interesting, I don't think I knew there were single-disc options available. I'll have to compare what you get. Suitner is one of my possibilities for a cycle (partly to cover symphonies 1 to 3 if I so choose, as I only have 4 to 9 in my collection).

Yeah, these were Japanese imports and have been remastered. They're all on the Deutsche Schallplatten label. I've heard nothing but great things about these performances. What performances do you own in Symphonies Nos. 4-9?

TheGSMoeller

A pair of pathétique performances

aligreto

Now that Covid restrictions are beginning to lift and our Economy is beginning to recover my wife is resuming her national responsibility to help to maintain that economic recovery by resuming....Shopping ::)

However, one of the minor benefits to me is that she sometimes comes home with something like this [which she did yesterday]....

8)

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on June 18, 2021, 04:52:21 AM
Now that Covid restrictions are beginning to lift and our Economy is beginning to recover my wife is resuming her national responsibility to help to maintain that economic recovery by resuming....Shopping ::)

However, one of the minor benefits to me is that she sometimes comes home with something like this [which she did yesterday]....

You send her out shopping with your own LP wishlist in hand just in case ? Crafty that  ;D
Olivier

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on June 18, 2021, 04:52:21 AM

8)

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life Fergus  :D

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 18, 2021, 05:54:55 AM
You send her out shopping with your own LP wishlist in hand just in case ? Crafty that  ;D

I wish  ;D

Fortunately she has quite a discerning ear. She does not allocate enough time to herself to indulge it, unfortunately.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on June 18, 2021, 06:17:18 AM

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life Fergus  :D

A good philosophy, Jan  ;)

André

vandermolen

Quote from: André on June 18, 2021, 07:50:44 AM

6,7 and 8 are my favourites.

Taking advantage of BIS special offer at Presto:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: "Harry" on June 17, 2021, 04:39:07 AM
I am good Karl, overcoming a few maladies, and physical unpleasant occurrences, but those come with age, as you might well know. And you, how are you recovering?

Baby steps, but consistent, gradual improvement, thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 18, 2021, 09:16:27 AM
Baby steps, but consistent, gradual improvement, thanks!
Good to know on both fronts (Karl and Harry)  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).