Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 3124566 times)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #29320 on: July 31, 2021, 06:32:32 AM »
MI - I also have been impressed with all the Tatarstan/Sladkovsky recordings I've heard.

JBS - I like how on the Elgar/Previn CD, they had to put the names Elgar and Previn twice, just to be sure.

I think it was meant for a series, although they didn't do it on the Second Symphony.

Meanwhile looking those up, I discovered Previn recorded the Elgar and Walton Cello Concertos with Daniel Muller Schott and the Oslo Philharmonic in 2005. So that's another thing for the wishlist.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #29321 on: July 31, 2021, 07:14:30 AM »
Purchased for 2$ ‘used, like new’ on Amz Marketplace

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #29322 on: July 31, 2021, 05:04:30 PM »
This is perhaps evidence of obsessiveness, but these two:

After hearing so many recordings of the Beethoven Quartets from Eastern European ensembles, I wanted something Gaelic. After a 30 second spot check, I think I am going to like this set a lot. (Realistically, it is only the late quartets that I am really interested in.)

Just checking, do you mean Gallic rather than Gaelic?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 05:07:57 PM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Judith

Love most composers but especially Brahms & Schumann
« Reply #29323 on: August 01, 2021, 05:11:20 AM »
Just ordered
Prokofiev Symphony no 5/Myaskovsky Symphony no 23

Prokofiev Symphony no 6/ Myaskovsky Symphony no 27

Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra/Vasily Petrenko

Not familiar with Myaskovsky so new ground for me🎼🎼

Offline deprofundis

• Veteran member
  • Favorites colours deep violet, Burgundy, Navy Blue
    classical, skronk-jazz, blues, electro, noise, ambient, experimental etc
« Reply #29324 on: August 01, 2021, 09:06:11 AM »
Hello here are my purchases today, Medieval & Renaissance Irish Harps on Turnabout Vox label, yes this LP look really very super good, this LP would haunt my dream , I swear.

Also Lagrime de San Pietro 2x LP  Lassus Raphael Passaquet ensemble , this one was expensive, but I knew in my mind I just have to order it , it's my favorite work of Lassus and it's analogue sweetness.

8)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:15:10 AM by deprofundis »
I'm the silent majority

quote (Pauly Rocky 4)

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #29325 on: August 01, 2021, 12:11:37 PM »
I had been interested in this vintage recording of Die Meistersinger under Kempe (from Dresden), and it was to be had for a pittance today at Amazon.es, so I pulled the trigger.

Die Meistersinger is clearly one of my top 5 operas ever, and IMHO Act III is absolute perfection (musically and dramatically). Even if it sounds exaggerated, Ignacy Jan Padewerski’s famous dictum on the piece , 'the greatest work of genius ever achieved by any artist in any field of human endeavour”, is not far off the mark.
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Je me suis rarement perdu de vue ; je me suis détesté, je me suis adoré ; puis, nous avons vieilli ensemble. »

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #29326 on: August 01, 2021, 12:15:36 PM »
I wasn’t going to buy any more Shostakovich symphony cycles, but I could no longer resist this Sladkovsky set:

Expensive? Yes, but I did some listening via Spotify and was impressed with playing. The reviews also seem to be favorable. Anyway, looking forward to hearing this set.

While I absolutely cannot buy another Shostakovich cycle (if I did, my dear wife would find that act bitterly provoking) I look forward to your report.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #29327 on: August 01, 2021, 02:29:16 PM »
Just checking, do you mean Gallic rather than Gaelic?

Not sure what I meant, spell-check knew better...

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #29328 on: August 01, 2021, 03:17:39 PM »
Not sure what I meant, spell-check knew better...

Hehe. Well, if the spell-checker doesn't know the difference between the French and the Irish, that's unfortunate.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971)
    19th Century up to the 21st Century
« Reply #29329 on: August 01, 2021, 05:39:24 PM »
While I absolutely cannot buy another Shostakovich cycle (if I did, my dear wife would find that act bitterly provoking) I look forward to your report.

Will do, Karl. I’m hoping to start ripping this set tomorrow. In the evening, I’ll be listening to the 4th to start things off. This is a difficult one to get right.
“My music is best understood by children and animals.” - Igor Stravinsky

Offline DavidW

• Veteran member
« Reply #29330 on: August 01, 2021, 05:46:14 PM »
Will do, Karl. I’m hoping to start ripping this set tomorrow. In the evening, I’ll be listening to the 4th to start things off. This is a difficult one to get right.

Why rip it?  I thought you only listened to physical cds on your stereo?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #29331 on: August 01, 2021, 06:01:09 PM »
Why rip it?  I thought you only listened to physical cds on your stereo?

I used to listen to my stereo a good bit, but not much for the past 4-5 years. I’ve basically turned into a 'headphone guy', so for the past two years or so I’ve been ripping a lot of my collection to my computer and saving the files on two 1TB SSDs. Everything is arranged alphabetically via Music on my Macbook. I’m quite content with this arrangement and it’s served me well so far. The CDs themselves are like my hardcopies and I still like reading the liner notes to recordings. Nothing will ever replace the sound of a good stereo amplifier, but since I live with my folks, it’s kind of out of the question. Also, I like the analytical side of listening through headphones. For me, it's difficult to hear a pianissimo passage through speakers, but with headphones I can hear it clearly.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Ion Minulescu (1881-1944), Romanian poet
« Reply #29332 on: August 01, 2021, 11:35:36 PM »
Die Meistersinger is clearly one of my top 5 operas ever, and IMHO Act III is absolute perfection (musically and dramatically). Even if it sounds exaggerated, Ignacy Jan Padewerski’s famous dictum on the piece , 'the greatest work of genius ever achieved by any artist in any field of human endeavour”, is not far off the mark.

Actually, it's just as cursi as Tchaikovsky's praise of Mozart as "the highest, the culminating point that beauty has attained in the sphere of music."  :laugh:

Good day, Rafael.
“I love melody, I love to sing. I refuse to compose music only intended to be discovered and understood by future generations.” 

--- Carlos Guastavino (1912-2000), Argentinian composer

Offline deprofundis

• Veteran member
  • Favorites colours deep violet, Burgundy, Navy Blue
    classical, skronk-jazz, blues, electro, noise, ambient, experimental etc
« Reply #29333 on: August 02, 2021, 01:12:53 AM »
Ensemble Luca Marenzio Italian Madrigals LP, whit Luca Marenzio and obscure strangers to my knowledge, other Italian madrigalists.

The other LP, is Spanish Renaissance music release in 1960 this album a total mystery, sound'S awesome hey, what about thiese purchase?

Have a nice wonderful, splendid day full of sun and joy  8)
I'm the silent majority

quote (Pauly Rocky 4)

Offline DavidW

• Veteran member
« Reply #29334 on: August 02, 2021, 05:24:59 AM »
I used to listen to my stereo a good bit, but not much for the past 4-5 years. I’ve basically turned into a 'headphone guy', so for the past two years or so I’ve been ripping a lot of my collection to my computer and saving the files on two 1TB SSDs. Everything is arranged alphabetically via Music on my Macbook. I’m quite content with this arrangement and it’s served me well so far. The CDs themselves are like my hardcopies and I still like reading the liner notes to recordings. Nothing will ever replace the sound of a good stereo amplifier, but since I live with my folks, it’s kind of out of the question. Also, I like the analytical side of listening through headphones. For me, it's difficult to hear a pianissimo passage through speakers, but with headphones I can hear it clearly.

Oh that is funny, we basically went opposite ways.  I'm now a stereo guy that sometimes listens on headphones.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #29335 on: August 02, 2021, 05:29:35 AM »
Oh that is funny, we basically went opposite ways.  I'm now a stereo guy that sometimes listens on headphones.

Indeed, but you’re also into streaming and all of that, right?

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #29336 on: August 02, 2021, 09:34:23 AM »
It's been years since I've last listened through loudspeakers. Ninety-nine per cent of my listening time is through a portable mp3/FLAC player (FiiO M3K) and headphones, one per cent streaming through my laptops (I have three in two different locations). I'm super happy with that, honestly.
“I love melody, I love to sing. I refuse to compose music only intended to be discovered and understood by future generations.” 

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #29337 on: August 02, 2021, 09:50:11 AM »
It's been years since I've last listened through loudspeakers. Ninety-nine per cent of my listening time is through a portable mp3/FLAC player (FiiO M3K) and headphones, one per cent streaming through my laptops (I have three in two different locations). I'm super happy with that, honestly.

Indeed and I would be as well. There’s no point going through life in search of audio perfection, because, at the end of the day, it’s about what sounds good to your ears and what is convenient for you. I’ve arrived at a compromise that I’m willing to accept and I have no regrets about it.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #29338 on: August 02, 2021, 10:22:48 AM »
Indeed and I would be as well. There’s no point going through life in search of audio perfection, because, at the end of the day, it’s about what sounds good to your ears and what is convenient for you. I’ve arrived at a compromise that I’m willing to accept and I have no regrets about it.

Precisely. The audiophile obsession is completely alien to me, so much so as most of my top 10 composers' music was originally heard in less than ideal performances and venues and certainly by a misbehaving audience --- judging by our standards, that is.  :D

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #29339 on: August 02, 2021, 10:25:49 AM »
Precisely. The audiophile obsession is completely alien to me, so much so as most of my top 10 composers' music was originally heard in less than ideal performances and venues and certainly by a misbehaving audience --- judging by our standards, that is.  :D

I can only nod my head along with your own, Andrei. My dad, essentially an audio engineer without the ‘proper’ training, has admitted that he don’t understand these audiophile people.