Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Recommended to me by André and vandermolen (hat tip to them), and found for a pittance (d'occasion - très bon) at an Amazon.fr MP seller:

André

Quote from: ritter on September 01, 2021, 01:31:35 PM
Recommended to me by André and vandermolen (hat tip to them), and found for a pittance (d'occasion - très bon) at an Amazon.fr MP seller:

Good evening, Rafael!

If you end up not liking it, at least you didn't have to break you piggy bank !

:D

classicalgeek

My first CD purchase in **NINE** years. Since this one: https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,13.msg635806.html#msg635806

I don't have a lot of CD recordings of core repertoire (I've been mainly streaming for a number of years), so I'm looking forward to this set!

One of THE great Sibelius cycles, plus some delightful Haydn and Mozart. I'm not familiar with Davis's Beethoven, but I can't wait to sample it!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on September 01, 2021, 01:31:35 PM

Excellent! You won't regret it  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 01, 2021, 10:21:15 PM
My first CD purchase in **NINE** years. Since this one: https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,13.msg635806.html#msg635806

I don't have a lot of CD recordings of core repertoire (I've been mainly streaming for a number of years), so I'm looking forward to this set!

One of THE great Sibelius cycles, plus some delightful Haydn and Mozart. I'm not familiar with Davis's Beethoven, but I can't wait to sample it!

I have that set. I'm not really keen on his Beethoven EXCEPT for the Eroica, which is a performance for the ages. It may sound massive at first but it grew on me like few have ever done.

And don't forget those splendid Dvorak  symphonies 7-9 !  :)

classicalgeek

Quote from: André on September 02, 2021, 12:02:35 PM
And don't forget those splendid Dvorak  symphonies 7-9 !  :)

I've been on a 'New World' listening mini-kick lately, so I'll definitely add Davis's to the pile when I get the set! Of course, I like all nine of the Dvorak symphonies, so I look forward to 7 and 8 as well...
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Judith

Just ordered the new CD Schumann by Stephen Hough.

Recordings are:-
Arabeske
Kreisleriana
Fantasie

Looking forward to listening

vers la flamme

Quote from: Judith on September 04, 2021, 05:15:02 AM
Just ordered the new CD Schumann by Stephen Hough.

Recordings are:-
Arabeske
Kreisleriana
Fantasie

Looking forward to listening

I love the album artwork. I've enjoyed what I've heard of Hough's playing, might have to check this out.

VonStupp

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Daverz

From "HPB-Diamond" on Amazon

I already have all the usual suspects: Abbado, Schippers (DSD CD transfer), Ancerl (Gold Edition), Reiner, and Previn's previous EMI recording.

VonStupp

Quote from: Daverz on September 05, 2021, 02:25:15 PM
From "HPB-Diamond" on Amazon

I already have all the usual suspects: Abbado, Schippers (DSD CD transfer), Ancerl (Gold Edition), Reiner, and Previn's previous EMI recording.

I will be curious to hear what you think. This was a BMG or Columbia House acquisition for me, I believe.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Todd

The latest from Korean Piano Jesus.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

TheGSMoeller

Finally ordered the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra box, which means I know have approximately 15 single discs from the OCO I need to give away to make space!

André

Daverz

Quote from: VonStupp on September 05, 2021, 03:30:50 PM
I will be curious to hear what you think. This was a BMG or Columbia House acquisition for me, I believe.

VS

Nothing not to like.  I haven't compared with the other versions.

ritter

Some Florent Schmitt from Forgotten records:

For the original (and only AFAIK) recording of La fête de la lumière, op. 88 (written for the 1937 Paris Exhibition)

For Le clavecin obtempérent, played by its dedicatee Marcelle de Lacour.

For the late(ish)  Trois danses, op. 86 for piano.

foxandpeng

Quote from: André on September 06, 2021, 04:12:03 PM

1873 version

Andre! Another Tabakov fan :)

I very much like what I have heard of his music - angsty, severe, ominous, turbulent, and thoroughly enjoyable from what I have heard over the last few months. Would be good to hear your reflections as you hear these :)
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Judith

Just ordered CD "A Poets Love". Contains pieces from Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet and Schumann Dichterliebe.
Performed by

Timothy Ridout and Frank Dupree. Discovered these two over a couple of years ago at a lunchtime concert in Leeds and was very impressed.

Timothy Ridout is a wonderful violist. He has been featured in the Wigmore Hall series on U Tube and as a "New Generation Artist" on BBC Radio 3.