Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 17, 2021, 10:51:19 AM
Just made my first purchase from Europadisc, taking advantage of their Naxos sale:

I can't WAIT for this order and its 14 hours of orchestral awesomeness! Even with international shipping, I still spent less than the same three boxes from Amazon would have cost.

The Roussel and Barber boxes are excellent.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Traverso on September 17, 2021, 01:19:02 PM
The Hindemith quartets are very good and that goes for the performances too. :)

Yes!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Quote from: JBS on September 17, 2021, 06:04:29 PM
The Roussel and Barber boxes are excellent.

That's good to hear! I'm *really* looking forward to getting them and digging in. Too bad the Roussel box doesn't include the Spider's Feast, which Deneve also recorded. I might have to pick that up separately!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on September 17, 2021, 06:01:28 PM
Earlier tonight via Amazon MP.

And separately

I have that recording of the Vasks 3rd Symphony, which I think very highly of having played it again the other day.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

kyjo

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 17, 2021, 10:51:19 AM
Just made my first purchase from Europadisc, taking advantage of their Naxos sale:

I can't WAIT for this order and its 14 hours of orchestral awesomeness! Even with international shipping, I still spent less than the same three boxes from Amazon would have cost.

Fantastic stuff! We have quite similar tastes.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

TheGSMoeller

classicalgeek

Quote from: kyjo on September 18, 2021, 09:26:21 AM
Fantastic stuff! We have quite similar tastes.

I've gathered that from reading your posts! I enjoy music of all periods from Baroque to the present, from chamber music to piano solo to choral and vocal. But in truth, I could listen to nothing but big, juicy, gorgeously orchestrated symphonic works written after 1880 or so and be VERY happy!  ;D
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

ritter

Doing some research on Sylvano Bussotti, who passed away today, I found this book on his musical theatre, which includes a CD with excerpts of his opera Lorenzaccio (live recording of the world première in Venice in 1972):

Got what I believe was the last remaining copy on Amazon in Europe.  :)

Brian

Couple of quick little hi-res FLAC downloads from Presto of a Turkish guitarist playing Paraguayan music, plus the latest from guitarist Adam Levin, of whom I'm a big fan. JBS bought this one a while ago, not sure if he ever posted thoughts, but I'm only in for $6 for the FLACs and it looks like a fun mix of 20th/21st century repertoire.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on September 19, 2021, 06:32:10 PM
Couple of quick little hi-res FLAC downloads from Presto of a Turkish guitarist playing Paraguayan music, plus the latest from guitarist Adam Levin, of whom I'm a big fan. JBS bought this one a while ago, not sure if he ever posted thoughts, but I'm only in for $6 for the FLACs and it looks like a fun mix of 20th/21st century repertoire.

I found it enjoyable, but it didn't click enough to get me to think of it as special.

But speaking of guitar, I'm pretty sure you'll like the guitar duo concerto CD I posted in WAYLT tonight (Brouwer/Bellinati).

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Spotted Horses

Early Columbia Recordings, Juilliard String Quartet

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

The new erato

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 20, 2021, 02:15:21 PM
Early Columbia Recordings, Juilliard String Quartet

I made you do it!  >:D

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

The new erato

Sorry, I'm out of cash. Bought some sale items at europadisc before the Naxos price increase, so now it's bread and wine for a month:

Naxos 8572772   Gubaidulina - Fachwerk, Silenzio
Naxos 8573657   N Tcherepnin - Le Pavillon d'Armide (Fantastic Ballet)
Naxos 8574297   Wolf-Ferrari - Dreams and Drama: Violin Sonatas 1-3
Naxos 8574144   Kapralova - Waving Farewell, Sad Evening, Piano Concerto, etc.
Naxos 8574310   Villa-Lobos - Complete Violin Sonatas

Mirror Image made me do it!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: The new erato on September 21, 2021, 06:39:14 AM
Sorry, I'm out of cash. Bought some sale items at europadisc before the Naxos price increase, so now it's bread and wine for a month:

Wine at €500 a bottle, I wager! I take PayPal. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on September 21, 2021, 06:39:14 AM

Hey, don't blame me for your screw-ups! ;) :P Anyway, I certainly support the purchases of the Gubaidulina, Kapralova and Villa-Lobos. 8)

Harry

Pre ordered the new Graindelavoix release.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

:) Also ordered.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: "Harry" on September 21, 2021, 08:13:53 AM
:) Also ordered.
Will be interested in hearing how you like Gergiev's "Nutcracker".  I have this recording with the Kirov and hated it; way too fast for me!  I noticed that your set is on two CDs though.

Sadly, it's in my pile to sell or give away.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter