Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 07, 2021, 12:24:28 PM
I say good on you for being open-minded!

Just bought off Amazon MP:

I had to get this disc, given how much Koechlin I've been listening to lately.

And off eBay, as a lot of five discs:

Missing vol. 5 of the chamber music, but I can buy that later. Given how much I've enjoyed my traversal of Poulenc's chamber music lately, picking up these discs seemed like a no-brainer! And the concertos are a nice bonus.

Nice haul! 8)

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 07, 2021, 12:50:43 PM
Nice haul! 8)

Thank you! Looking forward to receiving it... and especially listening to the Koechlin Three Poèmes. I haven't been able to find them on Spotify.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 07, 2021, 01:08:26 PM
Thank you! Looking forward to receiving it... and especially listening to the Koechlin Three Poèmes. I haven't been able to find them on Spotify.

The Zinman recording isn't on Spotify or just those particular works? One reason why I don't rely on streaming is I'm relying on someone else to have the music I want to hear at my disposal and many times they simply don't have what I'm looking for. Plus, my collection is huge and I've ripped so much of it already that I don't have any use for them. I do still use them or YouTube for sampling an album on occasions.

Undersea

Recent buys:

Picked up a few Opera recordings over the last 2 or 3 months...

Edit: For some reason one of the images won't show up - It's Prokofievs' War & Peace conducted by Rostropovich

ritter

Quote from: Undersea on October 08, 2021, 01:17:13 AM
Recent buys:

Picked up a few Opera recordings over the last 2 or 3 months...

Edit: For some reason one of the images won't show up - It's Prokofievs' War & Peace conducted by Rostropovich
Great stuff. I have four of those recordings in my collection (the two Prokofiev operas, Karajan's Parsifal, and the Don Carlo) and they're all of great quality. Enjoy!

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 28, 2021, 05:31:19 PM
Will this have to do with this pal?  ;D

This picture is going to haunt me in my dreams! ??? :D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

JBS

Rusalka is excellent.

TD

Did a splurge this morning.

Programming note: the Brouwer CD does not include SQ 5. (I believe it was composed after this CD was recorded.)
SQ 5 is however included on another CD of Brouwer chamber works from this group.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on October 08, 2021, 08:41:17 AM

Nice! I've enjoyed these Sibelius Barbirolli recordings immensely. The remastering certainly helped giving these recordings more clarity.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 03, 2021, 04:49:48 PM
I have to say that the Hanson is just epic and glorious!! Wow, nearly 7-minute long of sheer gorgeousness!! Very recommended from me now. Thanks for the novelty, Jeffrey. I'm quite sure you'll enjoy a lot.

Alert, Kyle!!  ;D

Duly noted! :D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Brian

The Heisser España box is really enjoyable. One of my favorite things to pack on car trips or long commutes.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 07, 2021, 01:13:10 PM
The Zinman recording isn't on Spotify or just those particular works? One reason why I don't rely on streaming is I'm relying on someone else to have the music I want to hear at my disposal and many times they simply don't have what I'm looking for. Plus, my collection is huge and I've ripped so much of it already that I don't have any use for them.  for sampling an album on occasions.

I haven't been able to find the Zinman recording at all... I know Spotify has a lot of RCA titles, just not all of them. Fortunately I've been able to listen the rest of The Jungle Book in the Holliger recordings. (which are on Spotify)

QuoteOne reason why I don't rely on streaming is I'm relying on someone else to have the music I want to hear at my disposal and many times they simply don't have what I'm looking for.

And that right there is the big reason I started collecting CDs again after a ten-year hiatus!

classicalgeek

I've seen that 'Americascapes' recording popping up everywhere lately! I think I'll do a test-listen on Spotify... the repertoire certainly piques my interest!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 08, 2021, 08:49:02 AM
Nice! I've enjoyed these Sibelius Barbirolli recordings immensely. The remastering certainly helped giving these recordings more clarity.
+1 (thanks to you!  ;D)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Rusalka is excellent.

TD

Did a splurge this morning.

Programming note: the Brouwer CD does not include SQ 5. (I believe it was composed after this CD was recorded.)
SQ 5 is however included on another CD of Brouwer chamber works from this group.
A nice batch Jeffrey. I hope that you enjoy the Loeffler, Cowell, Ruggles and Hanson CD as much as I have. The Sibelius set is a fine remastering. I wish that Barbirolli had recorded Tapiola..
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Harry

Ordered today.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Undersea

Quote from: ritter on October 08, 2021, 03:49:46 AM
Great stuff. I have four of those recordings in my collection (the two Prokofiev operas, Karajan's Parsifal, and the Don Carlo) and they're all of great quality. Enjoy!
Rusalka is excellent.

Thanks! :)

vers la flamme

Found this at the record shop near me. 10 CDs for $8. I'm not much of a bel canto guy, but I couldn't pass up this deal.