Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 09, 2021, 06:19:29 AM

Found this at the record shop near me. 10 CDs for $8. I'm not much of a bel canto guy, but I couldn't pass up this deal.

Well, you'll have no choice but to be a bel canto guy now. ;) ;D

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 09, 2021, 06:28:00 AM
Well, you'll have no choice but to be a bel canto guy now. ;) ;D

Hey, I'm game for it ;D

Todd

Didn't want to wait for delivery of physical media, so I went the download route.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

VonStupp

Quote from: aligreto on October 03, 2021, 02:41:46 PM
I do not know the Hanson but the Haydn and the Dvorak should in no way disappoint.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 03, 2021, 04:57:38 PM
I endorse these two. This Dvorak's Te Deum is so rustic and joyous. The opening with the timpani shows how "brioso" they can be.

Hanson is no-brainers. You will probably enjoy this stuff so much: tonal, richly tuneful, with an epic feel to it and sheer grandeur, drama, etc.

Thanks! These were from sellers I am not familiar with, so I hope everything is on the up and up.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

DavidW

VonStuppp--

Haydn-- good
Hanson-- great
Dvorak-- great

I'm talking about the performances not the music itself.  Since the Haydn symphonies are great it averages out to not a dud in sight!

VonStupp

Quote from: DavidW on October 09, 2021, 12:02:38 PM
VonStuppp--

Haydn-- good
Hanson-- great
Dvorak-- great

I'm talking about the performances not the music itself.  Since the Haydn symphonies are great it averages out to not a dud in sight!

Good to hear. My Haydn symphony recordings are piecemeal at best, and a few of those are of Dorati, so A. Fischer was probably going to be the one if I invested in a set, even if my preferences in Haydn lean towards the old school. The reviews of Fischer are interesting if not enthusiastic, but at $5 US for 33 CD's, I really can't complain unless the physical media is in a shambles.

VS

classicalgeek

Quote from: VonStupp on October 09, 2021, 12:27:30 PM
Good to hear. My Haydn symphony recordings are piecemeal at best, and a few of those are of Dorati, so A. Fischer was probably going to be the one if I invested in a set, even if my preferences in Haydn lean towards the old school. The reviews of Fischer are interesting if not enthusiastic, but at $5 US for 33 CD's, I really can't complain unless the physical media is in a shambles.

VS

**Five dollars** for the Adam Fischer Haydn cycle? Wow! That's a downright steal! I really enjoyed what I've heard of his cycle, though of course the 'Paris' and 'London' Symphonies have been bettered in other recordings. But for the early and middle symphonies? I think Fischer is hard to beat.

Thread duty:
Stopped by an actual, physical record shop today! Silver Platters is still open here in the Seattle area, and they even have three locations (they used to have more, though.) Used classical CDs far outnumbered new stock, so there were many out-of-print and rare CDs at reasonable prices. I could have easily bought half the store  ;D but I chose these four selections:

I imprinted on the Bartok Miraculous Mandarin with Schwarz and I remember it being excellent. Same for the Bartok Quartets. I've heard good things about the Sanderling Brahms cycle, and Karajan's Honegger is almost legendary. I don't know when I'll get a chance to listen as I've already got quite a backlog... but I'm glad I have them!

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

The new erato

Digging in for the winter season with a few purchases frompresto:

The first in a projected series of Fux operas, som I am interested in how this turns out.

Que

Quote from: The new erato on October 09, 2021, 10:01:33 PM
Digging in for the winter season with a few purchases frompresto:

Spotted that one too!  :) Their 2nd Regnart recording.

The first in a projected series of Fux operas, som I am interested in how this turns out.

Interesting indeed! Somehow Fux and I haven't gotten along, but I'll make sure to sample this.

The new erato

Cinquecento is always a guaranteed purchase for me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 09, 2021, 09:40:09 PMThread duty:
Stopped by an actual, physical record shop today! Silver Platters is still open here in the Seattle area, and they even have three locations (they used to have more, though.) Used classical CDs far outnumbered new stock, so there were many out-of-print and rare CDs at reasonable prices. I could have easily bought half the store  ;D but I chose these four selections:

I imprinted on the Bartok Miraculous Mandarin with Schwarz and I remember it being excellent. Same for the Bartok Quartets. I've heard good things about the Sanderling Brahms cycle, and Karajan's Honegger is almost legendary. I don't know when I'll get a chance to listen as I've already got quite a backlog... but I'm glad I have them!

Looks like a great haul, classicalgeek. 8) Yes, the Honegger Karajan is outstanding. Definitely one for the collection for sure.

Brian

Wait, yeah, $5 for the Fischer Haydn physical set?? I got it fully downloaded for $9 and thought I had the bargain of the century, but no!!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on October 10, 2021, 06:34:46 AM
Wait, yeah, $5 for the Fischer Haydn physical set?? I got it fully downloaded for $9 and thought I had the bargain of the century, but no!!!

Where did you see this, Brian?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 09, 2021, 09:40:09 PM
**Five dollars** for the Adam Fischer Haydn cycle? Wow! That's a downright steal! I really enjoyed what I've heard of his cycle, though of course the 'Paris' and 'London' Symphonies have been bettered in other recordings. But for the early and middle symphonies? I think Fischer is hard to beat.

Thread duty:

Isn't it fun to go to a record store?!  :)  Were there many folks in there?  And out of curiosity, were folks wearing masks?

I hadn't heard of that store before, but will add to to my little list.  Cool that they are able to keep three stores afloat.

Took a look at their website.  Must admit, it's a bit hard to use.  I tried doing a couple of searches--one by a composer and another by a performer.  Rather than just bringing up what they do have in stock, they also bring up other items that they don't have in stock (I suspect had had them in stock at one point), so you have to do a lot of wading through what they don't have to find what they do have.  I couldn't find any way to search for just what they do have available.   :(  Do you know of a way CG?  And almost forgot to say, "Nice haul!"

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Artem

The same happens with me when I visit cd shops in Helsinki. I feel like I could walk out with at least 40 classical and jazz disks, but I try to pace myself. Yesterday I got these besides a few other disks from used jazz section:

VonStupp

Quote from: Brian on October 10, 2021, 06:34:46 AM

Yeah, this seller must have really wanted to get rid of this set, although since it is a wedge-shaped bookend of a collection, shipping puts me over your downloaded price. I received it late last night, and it appears to be in better shape than it was posted as. Either way, I consider myself lucky for the price either way.

VS

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 10, 2021, 07:59:36 AM
Isn't it fun to go to a record store?!  :)  Were there many folks in there?  And out of curiosity, were folks wearing masks?

I hadn't heard of that store before, but will add to to my little list.  Cool that they are able to keep three stores afloat.

Took a look at their website.  Must admit, it's a bit hard to use.  I tried doing a couple of searches--one by a composer and another by a performer.  Rather than just bringing up what they do have in stock, they also bring up other items that they don't have in stock (I suspect had had them in stock at one point), so you have to do a lot of wading through what they don't have to find what they do have.  I couldn't find any way to search for just what they do have available.   :(  Do you know of a way CG?  And almost forgot to say, "Nice haul!"

PD
I actually went into the HMV shop in the nearest town of any size this afternoon. Depressingly the classical music CD section gets smaller and smaller every time I go in there. Even their own label CDs seem to have gone.  :(

However, I did buy 'The Day of the Jackal' on Blu-Ray (special offer).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 10, 2021, 06:29:47 AM
Looks like a great haul, classicalgeek. 8) Yes, the Honegger Karajan is outstanding. Definitely one for the collection for sure.
+1 for Honegger - a marvellous disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 10, 2021, 10:06:29 AM
I actually went into the HMV shop in the nearest town of any size this afternoon. Depressingly the classical music CD section gets smaller and smaller every time I go in there. Even their own label CDs seem to have gone.  :(

However, I did buy 'The Day of the Jackal' on Blu-Ray (special offer).
Ack!  Sorry to hear it.  :(  Glad though that you didn't walk out empty-handed.

Question:  are you now getting buried inside of your man cave by CDs?  Or have you figured out a shelving solution? ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 10, 2021, 06:29:47 AM

Thank you! I'm excited to listen to it - I'm not as familiar with Honegger as I'd like to be.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 10, 2021, 07:59:36 AM

PD

Washington State has a mask mandate for all public places, so everyone was masked up! 😷

I've found their website kind of useless. I don't think they list their used CDs, which comprised most of their classical offerings - most everything is listed as 'out of stock', sadly. There were definitely more record stores when I moved here around the turn of the millennium - but they've been slowly closing. We even had Tower Records, which I think closed in 2007 - but I spent many hours there! I don't know how long Silver Platters has left, but they've been open since 1985, so maybe they have some staying power. It doesn't hurt that they also sell video games.

Quote from: Artem on October 10, 2021, 08:18:12 AM
The same happens with me when I visit cd shops in Helsinki. I feel like I could walk out with at least 40 classical and jazz disks, but I try to pace myself. Yesterday I got these besides a few other disks from used jazz section:

I know that feeling all too well!  It takes some serious restraint. Nice selections, by the way!

Quote from: vandermolen on October 10, 2021, 10:09:22 AM
+1 for Honegger - a marvellous disc.

Thank you!! Looking forward to listening to the entire haul, especially the Honegger.

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan